Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
iPhone->Notifications->Phone->Show
Thanks. So my iPhone 5 is set for 5 items already. But if I'm understanding, I need to tweak that setting after the phone has paired to the car and then I get email?

And can you then use Siri to reply, like with a text?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
Thanks. So my iPhone 5 is set for 5 items already. But if I'm understanding, I need to tweak that setting after the phone has paired to the car and then I get email?

And can you then use Siri to reply, like with a text?
Change it from something other than 5, after you're paired.

Not sure about Siri, I'll have to try...I pick up my new car next week, when I had my old one I didn't have an iPhone 5.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:

Not sure about Siri, I'll have to try...I pick up my new car next week, when I had my old one I didn't have an iPhone 5.
I'll try mine out later. One other dumb question. Is it only new emails that show up (like with the text messages) or does it display everything.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
I'll try mine out later. One other dumb question. Is it only new emails that show up (like with the text messages) or does it display everything.
Only new.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
I was all excited and updated my iDrive to the latest level thinking it would display the artists and song that was being streamed. I like to listen to Spotify from my HTC EVO 4G LTE, but I just get no info on the iDrive. This update didn't change that
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
What are these new icons BJ?

- New icons in the shaded box display.
There's something that looks like lines of data coming down from space and there was one other, I forget. Not a big deal, just something you notice that hasn't been there before.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-07-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquilax View Post
I was all excited and updated my iDrive to the latest level thinking it would display the artists and song that was being streamed. I like to listen to Spotify from my HTC EVO 4G LTE, but I just get no info on the iDrive. This update didn't change that
I'm assuming that you're streaming via Bluetooth and have the BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB option.

Spotify is not part of BMW Apps, so it's up to Spotify to work that out in their app, not BMW.

Pandora, same type of implementation, but they have the ability to show ID3 information. You need to visit the Spotify forums to find out what's going on there as its a Spotify app issue, not a BMW iDrive issue.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-07-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:

It needs to be stated clearly that one needs to change the email notification number every time you start the car in order for this to work, and it's quite inconvenient to do that.

Siri does not work with email, only texts.

BJ

Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I'm assuming that you're streaming via Bluetooth and have the BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB option.

Spotify is not part of BMW Apps, so it's up to Spotify to work that out in their app, not BMW.

Pandora, same type of implementation, but they have the ability to show ID3 information. You need to visit the Spotify forums to find out what's going on there as its a Spotify app issue, not a BMW iDrive issue.

BJ
Yeah, I got enhanced Bluetooth and all jazz, ain't my first rodeo. The thing is I've had friends with iPhones that connect to my car and their info is displayed on the iDrive. BMW just has no love for Android.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
It needs to be stated clearly that one needs to change the email notification number every time you start the car in order for this to work, and it's quite inconvenient to do that.

Siri does not work with email, only texts.

BJ
In iOS 6, Siri does work with email. You can see the suggested phrasing by bringing up Siri's help.

But Siri isn't integrated with iDrive -- you're still going to have to reach for your phone and press the home button to activate it, but then it's routed over the bluetooth as a call to yourself.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
I haven't been able to get ANY of the office related features to work on my phone (no text reading, etc). I have iOS6 but I'm running it on an iPhone 4. I assume this stuff must be Siri generation and beyond only (4s and 5)?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquilax View Post
Yeah, I got enhanced Bluetooth and all jazz, ain't my first rodeo. The thing is I've had friends with iPhones that connect to my car and their info is displayed on the iDrive. BMW just has no love for Android.
Sorry, didn't realize you had an Android device.

You know how you probably dismissed Steve Jobs contention that Android was a "fragmented" OS that lacked consistency across carriers, networks, and devices? It's like that.

BJ

Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
In iOS 6, Siri does work with email. You can see the suggested phrasing by bringing up Siri's help.

But Siri isn't integrated with iDrive -- you're still going to have to reach for your phone and press the home button to activate it, but then it's routed over the bluetooth as a call to yourself.
Siri does not read email. If you ask Siri "read my email" she will tell you "you have over 25 emails" and then say "sorry, I can't read email to you." Siri can send email by saying "email my wife about dinner", but reading and replying is out.

Siri is integrated with iDrive inasmuch as it can use the BMW speakers and microphone to allow for hands free and eyes free driving while checking sports scores, weather reports, stock quotes, reading and responding to texts, etc. The only thing missing is the initial button press on the steering wheel but that's coming soon. For now, you press and hold the home button and then put the phone back down. Whether or not BMW will allow Siri to send data to iDrive such as addresses and points of interest remains to be seen.

BJ

Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpilot View Post
I haven't been able to get ANY of the office related features to work on my phone (no text reading, etc). I have iOS6 but I'm running it on an iPhone 4. I assume this stuff must be Siri generation and beyond only (4s and 5)?
Text and Siri will work on an iPhone 4 running iOS6 as that was my configuration for a week before the iPhone 5 came out.

BJ

Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpilot View Post
I had text working in my e90 with a 4. Now I am using a 5. Please see BJ's instructions in this thread.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=663148

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to normsbimmer
Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post

You guys ever try talking dirty to SIRI?!. Her responses are pretty entertaining.

Siri.. Who's your daddy?
Siri... !@#$ me
Siri... suck my $%^&*
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 PM

I just found this out today. My Android Phone (HTC EVO 4G LTE) has an option under Bluetooth advance that says send message information. I have that check marked and now I get my text messages on my iDrive, and it reads them to me. I haven't tried out the emails, but I'm excited about my text messages. It's pretty zippy also, in that it sends it right when the phone gets the message. Just wised I could reply back with voice. I know it's coming in the new iDrive version but I want it now
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 330xi E90
Hey guys,
Just picked up my 335 last night. SWEET!
Is anyone else having the problem where "Office" is not an option in the bluetooth settings on the idrive. I have all the correct notification stuff set up on the iphone 5. Would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkbrain View Post
Hey guys,
Just picked up my 335 last night. SWEET!
Is anyone else having the problem where "Office" is not an option in the bluetooth settings on the idrive. I have all the correct notification stuff set up on the iphone 5. Would appreciate any help.
Thanks
There is a $650 option called BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth & USB.

If you don't have that option, you don't have Office.

BJ

Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 330xi E90
I left the car for a while and came back and the option was there. Working well now. No idea what made it start working.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: Soon in a F30 320i
Hi all, can anyone tell me if there is a cradle available for the iPhone 5? Not sure if this was covered elsewhere. Thanks alot.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
There is no iPhone 5 cradle and BMW have not announced one although inevitably they will have to work on it to keep their solution viable.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaheed View Post
Hi all, can anyone tell me if there is a cradle available for the iPhone 5? Not sure if this was covered elsewhere. Thanks alot.
An iPhone cradle have been announced as available for EU for about $500. Expect the US introduction soon.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i M Sport Alpine
Just plug in the iPhone 5 to the usb, it charges, gives you the "connected drive" options, BMW Apps, and you can have bluetooth syncing calls and music. I'm not spending $500 for a charging cradle.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaheed View Post
There will be a cradle in the coming months, but you likely don't want it.

Read:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=78

BJ