Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 AM

Mein Auto: x1-20d
x1 spare wheel

Hi Guys not having the spare wheel worries me , i ordered the mobility kit but does not satisfy me, any ideas on how to get a spare space saver wheel for the x1?
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Look down a few posts for Bimmerzone's thread regarding their spare.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Thanks Mate i saw that but its in the US not sure how much would it be to bring it to the us hope not the cost of new new ones...
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
GTony

Mein Auto: BMW 2011.5 Sdrive20d
Hi, castor111, I phoned BMW Brisbane a few times regarding this and they finally said that one was available ex Germany for $682.39. I was looking at chrome rims with std. tyres and putting one of the original RIM/RFT in the back as the spare. Takes up 3/4,s of the boot but our 3 person family would get away with this. Not sure dimensions of BMW,s Space Saver Spare, diameter would be similar or same, height would probably be a lot less. So decisions/decsions are there any other ones. Use the original or bite the bullet and shell out the money.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM

Hi Gtony,
I am in Brisbane too, after a lot of thinking I decided to get the tyre and rim insurance last week, it gives the peace of mind and I would not have to worry about the flats and punctures plus they provide accommodation too if I am 200km away, so I gave back the mobility kit which I bought before the insurance and gave up the idea of having the spare tyre in the boot.
Well I am pretty conventional and would not want to replace the standard equipment of my car eg the RFT TO REGULAR as the rims are designed specifically for the rfts and if I would have used regular tubeless it will mess up the TMPS as the monitoring of the flat will fail on regular tyres and I would not know in case of the puncture plus the rest of the problems to deal after it.
RFT tyres should not be fitted to any vehicle that does not come with Runflat Tyres as Original Equipment.
Standard tyres can be fitted to a vehicle with RFT tyres however this is not recommended as Runflat fitted vehicles have been specifically tuned for use with Runflat tyres.
I am happy with the insurance idea it would cost the same 800-1000$ for 3 yrs in which I would be happy to replace my tyres after 50k.

Last edited by castor111; 01-25-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Runflat tyres should only be fitted to vehicles that come with Runflat tyres as original equipment and have a TPMS. Any vehicle that has Runflat tyres requires a TPMS or the driver might not realise that a tyre has been punctured. Furthermore, Runflat tyres are specifically tuned to the suspension of individual vehicles meaning they are inappropriate for fitment to other vehicles.
There are a range of tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS). Basically there are two types of system, indirect systems use the fact that reduced air pressure causes the wheel to rotate at a higher speed and when this occurs an alarm is triggered. Direct systems, directly monitor tyre pressure against pre-set values and send a warning when actual pressure falls below set values.
Standard tyres can be fitted to a vehicle with RFT tyres however this is not recommended as Runflat fitted vehicles have been specifically tuned for use with Runflat tyres.

Last edited by castor111; 01-25-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by castor111 View Post
Replaced runflats on 128i and E90 335i (Bridgestone Potenza RE050As), both with sports suspension. There were no negatives, only positives with the summer performance tires (non-RFT). Luckily, have never had to use the donut spare. I haven't heard from anyone who preferred the RFTs after making the switch.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Hi Nospam,
Think you are missing the point, what u did with ur wheels is not the discussions, the point is when u damaged a wheel or have a blowout or have a accident because of the Tyre, will it be considered as you were using the recommended tyres which came specifically for your cars and came as standard equipment when you bought the car that will avoid such risks and now will be denied insurance in such cases.

Runflat tyres should only be fitted to vehicles that come with Runflat tyres as original equipment and have a TPMS. Furthermore, Runflat tyres are specifically tuned to the suspension of individual vehicles meaning they are inappropriate for fitment to other vehicles.
Standard tyres can be fitted to a vehicle with RFT tyres however this is not recommended as Runflat fitted vehicles have been specifically tuned for use with Runflat tyres
Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 PM
GTony

Mein Auto: BMW 2011.5 Sdrive20d
Hi Again, My RFT were only available at 1 place their Warehouse in Brisbane. Cost around $380 ea. or around $500 ea BMW Assist. If you have a flat after lunch on Sat., most places are closed and if they dont have your brand you could be up for 2, just point I,m making. So if you travel a lot with RFT,s on our roads it,s probably better to have insurance especially accomodation for Sat. and Sun. night, waiting for someone to open or assist. Each of us has different circumstances. The car before X1 I advised insurance co. that I was putting bigger dia. and wider wheels with quality radials approved by Tyre Company. They added them to my accessory list on the policy, keeping the vehicle fully insured. My 2011.5 X1 came with 17"Rims and RFT,s. Other Rim accessories were 18", 19" and if Sdrive, wider rear rims than front. All these would have close to same running diameter as originals. If the X1 has been specifically tuned to it,s suspension for RFT why would BMW offer different rim sizes and widths. Sdrive owners have 19x8 front and 19x9 rear, Radials with same suspension and no complaints about suspension or insurance. I was told by BMW my system works from ABS and when a tyre loses air the system lets you know. Therefore this system would monitor all compatable rims and tyres fitted, the same as the originals. Because of RFT,s they have and are making Mag Wheels and Rims that are RF compatable. For instance I could buy a better looking set of 17"rims and put my RF,s on them. Now I am not mechanically minded and if my inquiries to BMW and other genius sorces has all been smoke and mirrors it,s up to us as individuals to get believable/satisified, the real truth answers.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 PM

Hi, I agree if it was for a diff car with regular tyres I would not have bothered about the insurance as the rims are covered in my comprehensive insurance but not tyres, but with the BMW itís the best option to have BMW tyre and wheel insurance as the comprehensive insurance will cover only wheels and not tyres...
The s oem wheels and tryes bought form BMW dealer after delivery of cars will be covered with the same as the oem equipment and 100% responsibility of dealer and will cover manufacturing warranty no matter if it is diff size of wheels-17, 18, 19Ö or tyres of size recommended by the Bmw dealer as they know what diff options of tyres and wheels can the car have apart from the originalís Ö
CANíT say about the same when u go and buy tyres and wheels form a local store
http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/insight...insurance.html