Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65 745i
Idrive Message

Hello all.
So I got the car back from the dealer for my "recharge battery" message, radio that comes on at will and my transmission bumping and clunking along with this message in the idrive "The transmission automatically shifts into P when the car is switched off. Please contact your BMW center." They had the car for a week and all they did was replace the battery. The said they found no codes for the transmission.

Has anyone else had this message -"The transmission automatically shifts into P when the car is switched off. Please contact your BMW center." and if so how did you get The dealership to address it?

Ten

745I
Slate Green Metallic___
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
A bad battery can throw some strange messages. I would tend to believe them if that's all they said was wrong.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest

That's what madding. They replaced the battery and today that message came up on the Idrive again. I can't say it's a money game. I have a warranty on it but having had complained about this for the entire year I've have the 7 is frustrating.

Ten

745I
Slate Green Metallic___
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Could be the alternator. The symptoms tend to be the same.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
i always had that message, trans swicthes to P when car is off.. or something like that

thats normal... no need to worry about it, unless its doing something weird

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
'08 535i - Sport - Sport Trans - Navi - Comfort Seats - daily beater -
'07 GSXR-750 - Gray/Black - Akrapovic Ti Shorty Exhaust -
Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest

***Update***
The dealership replaced the battery (again) and said it was bad. That was the cause of my tranny issue. And also per the BMW Tech, the reason I got the "The transmission automatically shifts into P when the car is switched off. Please contact your BMW center." Was due to pressing and holding the "start" button to turn off and park the car. He said it was a huge "NONO". The proper way is the put the car in park then press the button. *sigh*

Ten

745I
Slate Green Metallic___
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Go View Post
***Update***
Was due to pressing and holding the "start" button to turn off and park the car. He said it was a huge "NONO". The proper way is the put the car in park then press the button. *sigh*
There is a recall for this exact problem..... ask them if your car is affected...
Old 01-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest

I have a favor to ask you guys...

I'm trying to get to the bottom of my "The transmission automatically shifts into P when the car is switched off. Please contact your BMW center." message. Whereas it would show up at random times, I can get the car to show me every time now and I wanted you guys with 02-04's, not sure if the newer 7's have the "key fob eject" option to try it. After the car was parked, I'd "double" tap the start/stop, holding it on the second tap. The message would show. Could you guys try it to see if you get the message? If you guys don't then I would think it's a glitch or my "Start" switch.

Ten

745I
Slate Green Metallic___
Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM

why double tap.... i jsut hold mine the first time and it shuts off and ejects key... that double tapping is what a lot of people do and they issued a recall for it not shifting in to park when its done liek that....its not a zombie lmao no need to double tap... mine is a 2007 tho
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Rage View Post
why double tap.... i jsut hold mine the first time and it shuts off and ejects key... that double tapping is what a lot of people do and they issued a recall for it not shifting in to park when its done liek that....its not a zombie lmao no need to double tap... mine is a 2007 tho
^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

If you just hold the button down for 1 second, maybe even less, it ejects the key immediately and turns everything off.

Also you could consider pressing the "P" button before you turn the car off if its a problem
Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM

I think you have to double tap if you have comfort access. The first tap turns off the engine and the second acts like pulling out the key.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM

Noooooooo.. I have CA...
Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest

••Update••

Got the car back from the dealer. They replaced the "Mechatronics sleeve". The car now shifts and seems to drive better.

We shall see. (Evil Stewie eye squint)

Ten

745I
Slate Green Metallic___
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM

lol software update too? flush? or even new tranny (doubt it) I REALLY have a hard time trusting the dealer they can do whatever they want to save money... we get a printout that can say anything..... I dunno... I had a problem, they fixed it. prob came back and it was something else even tho it had exact same problems... in CALI we have lemon law... if something is repaired 3 times under the same warranty then they have to replace it (if you aren't aware they wont tell you this) I jsut have this feeling that they put down that they change different parts every visit for the same issue to avoid this... i dunno...

say they repalce the tranny 3x under manufacturers warranty... they would have to repalce the car cause its a lemon.... but say they had to repalce the IVM... I wonder if you would get your car repalced?? lol...be nice...
Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest

That's true what your saying and I've been keeping an eye on what the dealership has been replacing. I swear I feel like its a game they are playing to make more money. For example, If i say the tire is bad, i feel they wouldn't check the tire and not everything else involved in what keeps the tire doing its job e.g. Rotor, strut/shock etc.

They did say if they couldn't fix it that they would get me into "another" vehicle.

Ten

745I
Slate Green Metallic___
Old 02-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest

•••Update••***8 226;

On returning the 7 again for the mystery message the dealer says they have REALLY found the problem. The vehicle has a bad CAS module. A new one is on order. We shall see...again.

Ten

745I
Slate Green Metallic___