Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i w/ SportPackage
Side Airbag Connector is broken - Can't reset SRS light

Help!

While replacing my window regulator, I broke the locking tab portion of a 2-piece squib connector which connects to the side airbag on the front driver's side door. Now I have the SRS light, and I can't reset it because there is no airbag connection. (Already tried several times at my local indie shop). Here's a pic of the broken locking tab (this is actually from username "adaseb" from another forum/thread, but it looks exactly like my broken tab):

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc03184dt4.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	188217

To save some much needed cash, I just want to buy the 2-piece squib connecter and replace the broken one by cut/splice. The entire door wiring harness (which the airbag connector is a part of) is listed over $70 on realoem.com. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=61&fg=05

Anyone know where I might buy just this 2-piece squib connector? preferably from an online retailer? Better yet, all I need is this top locking tab shown above. You can also see it on the Tyco Electronics website:

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catal...450,161451&N=3 (btw check out the 3D pdf on that link... WAY COOLL!!!!!)

Anyone else have this problem? thanks!!!!

Last edited by patdosa; 06-05-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Just an update on my broken locking tab for the airbag squib connector.

I looked up the patent on this airbag squib connector to understand how it operates and learn how to fix it. Well, it turns out that the locking tab (when engaged) is used to disconnect a short circuiting clip from the two (+ , - ) pins of the airbag module. This is a built in safety feature to prevent the airbag from discharging accidentally.

When the locking tab is removed (in order to remove the connector from the airbag), the short circuiting clip engages the two (+, -) pins so that the airbag cannot be accidentally discharged. See Figure 1.

Name:	Presentation1_Page_1.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	188695

And when the locking tab is inserted to lock the connector, it pushes between the short circuiting clip and the two (+, -) pins to remove the short circuit, and thereby connect the airbag module to the power supply, and ready for discharge... (make airbag go BOOM ). See Figure 2.

Name:	Presentation1_Page_2.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	188696

So the key to fixing my locking tab is to rebuild the two broken "prongs" which look like two big saber-tooths. This is what the locking tab is supposed to look like:

Name:	ENG_CVM_1376031-1_B.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	188698

And this is how mine looks like, see the broken "teeth"?

Name:	dsc03184dt4.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	188697

The plan is to build a replacement set of plastic "crowns" (no I'm not a dentist...) and glue them to what's left of the broken prongs/teeth. This is not a high load part so super glue should be sufficient. Also will have to drill out the main body of the connector to receive the new "crowns".

Will provide updates on how this goes.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 330i
Any luck?

I tripped across your thread while researching my SRS light issue. I have the exact same problem you had. How did you make out?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
I am having the same problem how did you guys resolve this??
Old 08-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Here's how I fixed it, using an old credit card. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post a link to another forum. But here goes:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...542&highlight=

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
Smile Thank you!!!

Dear patdosa,

I had the same exact problem having broken the side airbag squib connector in the course of replacing the driver's side lock actuator.

(Interesting aside: The lock actuator failed and was intermittently sending a signal to the control unit as if I was holding the key in the door lock in the unlock position. This caused the doors to spontaneously unlock, all 4 windows to open, and the sunroof to open while the car was closed and locked in the parking garage at work, or in my garage at home multiple times every day!!)

Anyway, your diagnosis of the problem with the broken squib connector, research, and documentation were superb! I just finished fixing my squib connector with a piece of old credit card like you showed, erased the airbag error, and am good to go! Thanks to you - this is my first post!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchevray View Post
Dear patdosa,

I had the same exact problem having broken the side airbag squib connector in the course of replacing the driver's side lock actuator.

(Interesting aside: The lock actuator failed and was intermittently sending a signal to the control unit as if I was holding the key in the door lock in the unlock position. This caused the doors to spontaneously unlock, all 4 windows to open, and the sunroof to open while the car was closed and locked in the parking garage at work, or in my garage at home multiple times every day!!)

Anyway, your diagnosis of the problem with the broken squib connector, research, and documentation were superb! I just finished fixing my squib connector with a piece of old credit card like you showed, erased the airbag error, and am good to go! Thanks to you - this is my first post!
pchevray, thanks for your kind words.. glad everything worked out for you!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5 BMW-FJ cruiser toyota-
Squibb connector airbag light

i broke mine and had the similar problem after disconecting airbag to replace window regulator.i was able to source a squib connector and it fixed the problem rthen i had to reset the airbag light and its all good .i have ordered another 400 squib connectors and i ll be sending them out if anyone needs them....
regards
steff
Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: X5 BMW-FJ cruiser toyota-
just to say i have the 400 odd squib connectors and i can send them out for a small price if needed,,,,
Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330i zhp
squib

Bongoman... I need need one of you connectors please... I would also be happy to purchase more than one for some eBay sales... Please be in touch.... basscadet58 at g mail. Thanks!!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
need one

Same problem here, can I get one of your connectors, happy to pay through paypal, my email is dnzctw at comcast dot net.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330i zhp
Dima, no luck w/ Bongoman..... I'm on the lookout for a parts car here in charlotte... Got a lead on a few, just need a free weekend.... If I find one, I'll get both sides and send oneto ya.... Let me know also if you come across an extra one..
Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Found it

Found the part at Sandia BMW over here part #61 12 9 130 178, it comes with the whole cable, but got the job done. The part was $25. Thanks and good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: e34 525tds Estate
brken squib

Spent many an hour on this problem previously, had a deadline to meet so took it upon myself to "Remove" the shorting pin from the airbag.Magnifying glass and tweezers, job done.
I realise its there for "safety" but only when its unplugged which isnt often.
The customer was screeming for his car and BMW were useless to find the part seperately, wanted to sell me a "repair kit" which consisted ov the whole airbag to control unit wires and connectors, but no platic connectors that I asked for.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: e34 525tds Estate
Where did you find them? How much to send a fer to the UK? can also pay via paypal
Old 12-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E91 M Wagon
I took the end of the zip tie (the non locking tab end) and cut out a piece around the same shape and size of the broken off pieces. stuck them into the connector, put the cover back on, and reset the codes. haven't had the srs light come back over a year has passed.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw x-5
tank72

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng0man View Post
just to say i have the 400 odd squib connectors and i can send them out for a small price if needed,,,,
bongoman, really need your clip would like to buy 10 of them. please help if you can
Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 02 M3
I could really go for one of these clips too, just busted mine yesterday. There was a tiny metal piece that went flying out of mine, I wonder if that what was used to short the pins? Any word from bongo?