Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: E46 318i
1999 BMW 318i - Engine Rattle

Hi guys,

I know threads like this are a dime a dozen but I just wanted some opinions on this situation as I actually don't know any history on the car.

It's a 318i with the old 1.9 engine in, I have brought this car cheaply knowing there is an issue with the engine but it's redeeming feature is it's bodywork is mint condition so worst case I'll get another lump dropped in.

The car itself has done 160k (miles) which is very high, even for a BMW I would say.. What is even more surprising is the engine has just had about 500 spent on it by the previous owner, the story is the car overheated blowing the HG so he had the head skimmed, new gaskets, water pump and chain tensioner again as these engines are pretty easy to come by and it's already at such a high mileage I am not sure why he didn't just swap it for another one.

Anyhow this work was carried out about 400 miles ago and the car is running now however it has a really bad rattle it also has trouble starting sometimes, it hesitates in low revs and the idle can fluctuate I originally put that down to a vac leak however I replaced all the pipes today which were knacked anyway but it didn't seem to help with the idle problems.

Here is a video of the rattle

_a_
Ads by Google
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i
I got the same problem except yours is much worse than mine. I also have a 318i (2003) with now 100k on it. Looking for cash to do Inspection I
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafabix View Post
I got the same problem except yours is much worse than mine. I also have a 318i (2003) with now 100k on it. Looking for cash to do Inspection I
"Inspection 1" is a joke....save your money, you can do it yourself for $75....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
I had some similar type symptoms after installing cone filter kit and reason was that MAF plug was bit lose.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: E46 318i
Here is another video of the noise with the car stationary.