Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Audi SQ5 coming to US with boosted 354hp 3.0T

Quote:
From Audi...

The new Audi SQ5 shown at the Detroit Auto Show is the first ever to be powered by a gasoline engine – in this case one producing 260 kW (354 hp) and 470 Nm (346.65 lb-ft) of torque. The new top-of-the-line model, which was designed specifically for markets such as the United States, Canada and China, uses a 3.0 TFSI engine with forced induction. It sprints from zero to 100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 5.3 seconds on its way to a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).

The new SQ5 is powered by a free-revving, supercharged, three-liter V6 engine with a displacement of 2,995 cc. Its compressor sits in the 90-degree V of the cylinder banks and is belt-driven by the crankshaft. Two rotors inside the supercharger spin at over 20,000 rpm. The air gap between them is just a few thousandths of a millimeter. The supercharger compresses the intake air to as much as 0.8 bar; two intercoolers then cool it for greater power.

The compressor is located downstream of the throttle valve. Its drive requires little engine power, as the density of the intake air is very low at loads below the supercharging level and when coasting. Torque develops early and quickly due to the short gas paths downstream of the supercharger. Various measures dampen compressor noise. A balance shaft in the engine’s alloy crankcase provides for greater smoothness. Adjustable intake camshafts and flaps in the intake ports provide for good charging efficiency in the combustion chambers.

The 3.0 TFSI engine produces 260 kW (354 hp) between 6,000 and 6,500 rpm, and delivers 470 Nm (346.65 lb-ft) of torque to the crankshaft between 4,000 and 4,500 rpm.
The sprint from zero to 100 km/h (0-62 mph) takes just 5.3 seconds – best in its class. Top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h (155 mph). The Audi SQ5 consumes on average 8.5 liters of fuel per 100 km in the NEDC (21 US mpg). This equates to CO2 emissions of 199 grams per kilometer (320.26 g/m) in the NEDC.

An eight-speed tiptronic and quattro permanent all-wheel drive with torque vectoring transfer the power of the SQ5 firmly to the road. The fast-shifting automatic transmission offers two modes, and the driver can also switch gears manually via the standard shift paddles on the steering wheel.

The chassis of the Audi SQ5 lowers the body 30 millimeters (1.18 in). The springs and shock absorbers are more tautly tuned for a sporty and balanced setup. The 20-inch wheels are fitted with 255/45-series tires; 21-inch wheels are available. The brake calipers on the front axle sport the SQ5 badge. The electromechanical steering not only plays a major role in the efficiency of the SQ5, it also provides very precise road feel. Audi also offers the optional dynamic steering with a steplessly variable ratio. Control of it is integrated in the optional Audi drive select system, which allows the driver to switch among several modes in various systems.

The platinum gray radiator grille with its horizontal double bars in aluminum look, the distinctive bumpers and the roof spoiler are particularly eye-catching. V6 T badges adorn the front fenders. The gloss package and exterior mirrors in aluminum look accentuate the windows. In addition, there are two exclusive crystal-effect finishes: Estoril Blue and Panther Black.

Sportiness carries over to the interior. The instruments feature gray dials and white numerals; the pedals and shift paddles have a shiny aluminum-look finish.

The interior is bathed in black, with the headlining optionally available in Moon Silver. The standard power-adjustable sport seats are covered with a combination of Pearl Nappa leather and Alcantara, with four different colors of leather optional. The standard inlays are brushed aluminum. Options include Carbon Atlas, Piano finish or layered aluminum and wood in Beaufort black.

The SQ5 is scheduled to arrive at U.S. dealerships in the third quarter of 2013. The list of standard equipment is extensive. In addition to the aforementioned features, there are also xenon plus headlights with LED daytime driving lights, a stainless-steel loading-sill protector and a driver information system with color display. The luggage compartment offers up to 1,560 liters (59.33 cu ft) of capacity.

Audi can supply this dynamic SUV with an array of optional assistance and infotainment systems. MMI navigation plus and the Bluetooth online car phone provide the Internet services from Audi connect to the vehicle.

The Audi SQ5 has been designed specifically for the following markets: United States, Canada, Russia, China, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and the Ukraine. In Germany and many other European markets, the SQ5 TDI takes its place as the sporty top model in its series.

Checkmate BMW
Ads by Google
Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n52 + n20 / B8 A4
Looks like they upped the power from the S4 too
Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
sq5 is just a horrible name for a performance SUV.

other than that, GREAT future for AUDI q5 buyers. Question is whether BMW needs to release an X3M? How many buyers would be up for that?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
Too bad both audi and bmw do not offer manual transmission on the X M models and S Q (Audi)
Old 01-08-2013, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: x3
That is definitely fast!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
sq5 is just a horrible name for a performance SUV.
Yeah, Q5-S sounds better.

That being said, the Europe S-Q5 is a diesel, whereas the US one isn't
Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Wow, it is a nice package. I would also be interested to see the diesel version for the states. Perhaps there were to many hurdles with certification vs. the existing 3.0T which just requires a tune.

I'm thinking the pricing would be around $60-63k with very little room for negotiations. Perhaps BMW will release a M version. They seem to be following the AMG model for "M" everything.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Gorgeous, but no manual transmission. The first Audi or BMW SUV to offer a traditional 6-speed manual will capture sales from all of the people like me staying on the sidelines holding out for a manual. Maybe we'll see a BMW X1-M down the road...
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
Gorgeous, but no manual transmission. The first Audi or BMW SUV to offer a traditional 6-speed manual will capture sales from all of the people like me staying on the sidelines holding out for a manual. Maybe we'll see a BMW X1-M down the road...
Unfortunately, the market share is with people who want auto.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The base Cayenne still comes with a manual 6 speed so there is still hope. I think the base 2WD Tiguan also still has a stick. A few of the Asian base entry Cute Utes also have sticks as well. Othwise you are SOL as the market share (as stated) decrees what will be offered -- and sell. Actually, Wally, an automatic is much easier to drive in the city with the hills and all.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
I think the current X3 35i will give the SQ5 a run for its money in its current state. DINAN is currently working on a tune for the N55 engine in the F25 and F10 with the following specs:

Peak HP 355 horsepower at 5300 rpm
Peak Torque 401 lb-ft torque at 3500 rpm

Nothing to really be concerned about acceleration wise. I believe the handling of the X3 is already more dynamic.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
I think the current X3 35i will give the SQ5 a run for its money in its current state. DINAN is currently working on a tune for the N55 engine in the F25 and F10 with the following specs:

Peak HP 355 horsepower at 5300 rpm
Peak Torque 401 lb-ft torque at 3500 rpm

Nothing to really be concerned about acceleration wise. I believe the handling of the X3 is already more dynamic.
+1

Carfan

Decided to follow your lead (my X3 35i M Sport is on order) - good to see you're still kicikin' it!

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-09-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Only other car that is pushing this kind of power is the R Design XC60, which also got power bump.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
+1

Carfan

Decided to follow your lead (my X3 35i M Sport is on order) - good to see you're still kicikin' it!
Hey Capo! What's going on? Yeah man - I think you will be pleased. The X3 is one of the best values in the BMW line up At least folks have opened up to this one - if you know what I mean I still like the F07 - for the utility/luxury - although thats an entirely different thread

With the F25 just make sure you build/order the way you want it - so no regrets later. Oh yeah its a bonafide sleeper
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Only other car that is pushing this kind of power is the R Design XC60, which also got power bump.
Yep your right - but the stats show the X3 35i still pulls harder than any of its competitors. Basically on par with the Cayenne GTS which is obviously a class up. Likely attributable to the 8speed transmission in the Bimmer.

Cayenne vs. Cherokee SRT8 http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...rack-test.html

X3 2.8 vs. X3 35i http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...rack-test.html

Last edited by car-fan; 01-09-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 PM

With regards to the SQ5. It will be real interesting to see what it's cousin the Porsche Macan brings to the table.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...sche-macan-suv

Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Hey Capo! What's going on? Yeah man - I think you will be pleased. The X3 is one of the best values in the BMW line up At least folks have opened up to this one - if you know what I mean I still like the F07 - for the utility/luxury - although thats an entirely different thread

With the F25 just make sure you build/order the way you want it - so no regrets later. Oh yeah its a bonafide sleeper
Your endorsement is meaningful to me - having become acquainted with you while fighting the F07 wars - we seem to gravitate to the same cars. As I 'memba you are taller than me - I am 6"3" and you find the X3 Sport seats accommodating. Most important you like the X3's dynamic qualities. I ordered an X3 35i M Sport Carbon Black/Oyster. I am excited to be joining the X3 ranks. I think the X3 will nicely complement my M3.

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-09-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Your endorsement is meaningful to me - having become acquainted with you while fighting the F07 wars - we seem to gravitate to the same cars. As I 'memba you are taller than me - I am 6"3" and you find the X3 Sport seats accommodating. Most important you like the X3's dynamic qualities. I ordered an X3 35i M Sport Carbon Black/Oyster. I am excited to be joining the X3 ranks. I think the X3 will nicely complement my M3.

Yes we do i'm 6'4 the front seats provide plenty of support - plus they feature adjustable side bolsters (haven't used) and adjustable thigh support (routinely use) which provide plenty of comfort. The caveat is the rear seating although accommodating for tall folks like ourselves, feature a low seat height. Primarily only Junior and his Recaro car seat are in the rear with the missus at the helm. I drive it often as well - coming from a full size/fully loaded QX56 the F25 X3 fits the current bill nicely. Patiently waiting to see what the F15 X5 introduces.

F25 X3 is surprisingly fleet footed, coupled with Xdrive and decent ground clearance...not a bad ride Plus the dash pod is "vaguely" reminiscent of what you became accustomed to in the F07 albeit nowhere near as luxurious - but nice all the same..

Nice stablemate for your E92 ///M3

Last edited by car-fan; 01-09-2013 at 08:05 PM.