Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
esquilax esquilax is offline
Registered User
Location: ATX
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 328i
A Q for the audiophiles

Who here has the HK sounds system and uses Spotify premium on it? If you put it on extreme quality in settings, it streams music at 320kbps. Do you guys think it sounds better on the HK system?

Discuss
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM
jdong jdong is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Sound perception is subjective, and everyone will have a different opinion on it.

Personally, I have Spotify and the HK sound system, and I think it sounds great. Honestly I don't notice a big difference in audio quality between the High and Extreme options, so I just keep it on High for faster buffering and reduced data usage.

I like the HK better than the base sound system, mainly because its bass is a lot thumpier without being distorted. The Logic7 Surround effect is also really nice, and highlights instrumentation that otherwise is hard to notice.

It is worthwhile to play with the equalizer settings though on the HK -- doing so can dramatically change the personality of the sound system. From the other threads floating around, it seems like there's quite some people who were initially unimpressed with the system but then had better opinions once they played with the EQ.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
esquilax esquilax is offline
Registered User
Location: ATX
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 328i
If I may...what do you have your EQ at? What type of music do you listen to?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 PM
jdong jdong is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
I'll take a picture of my EQ settings when I get my car back tomorrow. Roughly speaking, I adjust mine by first turning the bass up 2 or 3 notches. Then, turn down some of the middle-low range and turn up some of the middle-high to high range until the vocals/trebles don't get drowned out by bass.

I primarily listen to a mix of those top-100 radio stations and hip hop, both of which lend very nicely to having good clean non-rattling bass response.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM
chasfh's Avatar
chasfh chasfh is offline
Playin' With Your Head
Location: 60647
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 344
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
I am getting the HK, and I have a ****-ton of music that takes up most of my iPod at 128 bit. I was thinking of re-ripping some of my more audiophile type CDs at 320 bit. Does anyone notice the difference between the two bit rates on the HK?
__________________
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM
jlukja jlukja is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 716
Mein Auto: '13 328i
I have the base system and I notice the difference between 128 bit and 192 bit. I would imagine the HK would show that difference even more.
__________________
MY2013 328i, N26 / 300 / 4CG / KCDF / 2DW / 205 / ZDH / 302 / 3DZ / 403 / 494
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
I ordered the HK on my 335i too and honestly I can't wait to just get in the car and put in a favorite CD or two... before I even start playing with the iPhone or iPod!
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM
jdong jdong is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Depends on the codec. I think with MP3 you can probably tell the difference but with a good AAC rip, 128 already sounds excellent. 256 is marginally better if you are listening in a quiet home theater setup but if you are driving, I don't think the difference matters nearly as much. Don't forget that storage space is at a bit of a premium too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
I'm not an audiophile and I won't keep 50 CD's in the car (or nowhere near to it) - I have about 12,000 songs on my iPhone right now and the iPhone will be my main source of audio in the car. As BJ pointed out in one of the previous threads here for car audio you have all sorts of additional noises (road noise, etc.) that come into play so noticing the difference between the 128kbps and anything higher is way more difficult than with a good home setup. Having said that there will certainly be a few albums I will always keep on a CD and I will most definitely start my 335i driving with those
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Tirpitz Tirpitz is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive28i
These things are always a matter of your listening preferences and what you have trained yourself to hear. I've got an X1 with the stock stereo and most of my listening has been to high bit rate MP3s on a USB stick. If I put on my audiophile hat I can hear the tell-tale signs of compressed music such as smeared and hissy sounding cymbals. But for everyday listening and just enjoying the music and the drive it is decent enough sounding.

My personal feeling is that with any music system you should always opt for the highest resolution source material. The exception is where you need to trade off resolution for storage space. I recognize that as an audiophile I'm not representative of the general car buying public. But I think it is a shame that a company like BMW is willing to sell you an upgraded stereo are near or above $1K and then restricts their D/A capabilities to lossy audio formats, the only exception being WAV which they have to support to play CDs. Come on, support at least Apple Lossless if not FLAC at 16 bits. If they support 24 bit playback even better.

Once I get around to doing some comparisons if I find the difference between MP3 playback and what I can get out of my iPhone with Apple Lossless to be too broad I'll have to look at buying an iPod Classic to keep in the car just to be able to play the most possible music at full 16 bit resolution.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 AM
gweeta gweeta is offline
Registered User
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
But I think it is a shame that a company like BMW is willing to sell you an upgraded stereo are near or above $1K and then restricts their D/A capabilities to lossy audio formats, the only exception being WAV which they have to support to play CDs. Come on, support at least Apple Lossless if not FLAC at 16 bits. If they support 24 bit playback even better.
+1. Really wish the system supported a lossless format besides WAV.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM
RobertaZ RobertaZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 158
Mein Auto: 2013 F30, 704 SS option
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeta View Post
+1. Really wish the system supported a lossless format besides WAV.
Agreed! I'd love the Bimmers to support FLAC, but if you get a 64GB flash drive, you can store 80-90 CDs in WAV format on it. I have a couple of those with me in the car at all times and never have to listen to awfully compressed satellite radio nor MP3s.

R
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM
gweeta gweeta is offline
Registered User
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I guess I'm just lazy. I have a huge collection on my music server all ripped in FLAC, and I don't want to spend the time converting it to WAV. But you're right. WAV is a decent solution if you want uncompressed music in your car.

For now, I'll just settle for the alternate library I have ripped at 256 VBR.

Edit: I meant it's a viable solution if you want lossless music. I realize FLAC is compressed.

Last edited by gweeta; 01-08-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,221
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Intergal Audio will have a nice option for a F30 specific upgrade. I will have everything installed in less than a month as my car was used for measurements a couple of months ago.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 AM
chasfh's Avatar
chasfh chasfh is offline
Playin' With Your Head
Location: 60647
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 344
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
These things are always a matter of your listening preferences and what you have trained yourself to hear. I've got an X1 with the stock stereo and most of my listening has been to high bit rate MP3s on a USB stick. If I put on my audiophile hat I can hear the tell-tale signs of compressed music such as smeared and hissy sounding cymbals. But for everyday listening and just enjoying the music and the drive it is decent enough sounding.

My personal feeling is that with any music system you should always opt for the highest resolution source material. The exception is where you need to trade off resolution for storage space. I recognize that as an audiophile I'm not representative of the general car buying public. But I think it is a shame that a company like BMW is willing to sell you an upgraded stereo are near or above $1K and then restricts their D/A capabilities to lossy audio formats, the only exception being WAV which they have to support to play CDs. Come on, support at least Apple Lossless if not FLAC at 16 bits. If they support 24 bit playback even better.

Once I get around to doing some comparisons if I find the difference between MP3 playback and what I can get out of my iPhone with Apple Lossless to be too broad I'll have to look at buying an iPod Classic to keep in the car just to be able to play the most possible music at full 16 bit resolution.
This is a nice little overview. I have 130GB of music, 1,425 albums from 484 different artists, plus podcasts and OTR. Most of what I have is at 128 ripped ten or more years ago, mostly using Windows Media Player. A few other albums, I have obtained at bit rates varying from 160 to 320. Much of the 256+ bit music I have gotten, I have peeled back to 128 VBR through iTunes to make room.

Bit rate doesn't really matter to me for a lot of my stuff because it is loud distorted rock music, or music originally recorded in the studio on hissy tape, so any minute difference between 128 and 256+ would probably be lost on me in a moving car sound room, anyway.

However, I do have some audiophile-worthy stuff, like RHCP and Beatles remasters, that I keep in 320. I was thinking of re-ripping some of the other stuff I originally did in 128, like the old Pink Floyd or Zappa or White Stripes or Eminem or Adele, in order to maximize the benefit of those specific albums that benefit more from a higher bit rate. I just wanted to ask whether others here hear enough of a difference between 128 and 320 for me to make that effort, because I will probably have to dump some other stuff to make room for it.
__________________
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Taeksoo Taeksoo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Palatine, IL
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 114
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sedan
Has anyone tried the bluetooth streaming? I'm no expert so don't flame me... I've read bluetooth can transmit up to like 2mbs which is lot bigger then Flac files need. I'm sure there are compression using bluetooth but imagine it'd be better then mp3.
I got stock system and been using my Android to stream music using Poweramp. Again, I'm no expert but I do notice difference between mp3 songs and Flac songs (~600-800bms). I'm sure it's not as great but it does sound little fuller.
Since this is what I chose to do for myself for easiness and quality, just qurious to hear what others think and see if there is any other better way. Aux is good too but I rather not have wires. Either stored in the car or wireless. Learned car can't play Flac

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM
gweeta gweeta is offline
Registered User
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
I just wanted to ask whether others here hear enough of a difference between 128 and 320 for me to make that effort, because I will probably have to dump some other stuff to make room for it.
As someone else pointed out, it's not just bitrate that matters. The codec is also important. That said, I think there is very noticeable difference between MP3s at 128 and 256 (let alone 320), even in a car.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 AM
gweeta gweeta is offline
Registered User
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeksoo View Post
Has anyone tried the bluetooth streaming? I'm no expert so don't flame me... I've read bluetooth can transmit up to like 2mbs which is lot bigger then Flac files need. I'm sure there are compression using bluetooth but imagine it'd be better then mp3.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
I don't know the technical answer. That is, I don't know whether/how files are compressed when sent over Bluetooth. However, I think wired sounds better, although for the convenience, I use Bluetooth in my Jetta all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM
jfox335i jfox335i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
Sound perception is subjective, and everyone will have a different opinion on it.

Personally, I have Spotify and the HK sound system, and I think it sounds great. Honestly I don't notice a big difference in audio quality between the High and Extreme options, so I just keep it on High for faster buffering and reduced data usage.

I like the HK better than the base sound system, mainly because its bass is a lot thumpier without being distorted. The Logic7 Surround effect is also really nice, and highlights instrumentation that otherwise is hard to notice.

It is worthwhile to play with the equalizer settings though on the HK -- doing so can dramatically change the personality of the sound system. From the other threads floating around, it seems like there's quite some people who were initially unimpressed with the system but then had better opinions once they played with the EQ.
I find the system sounds much cleaner with the L7 surround turned off. I thought the L7 sounded artificial, it's personal preference, I found the right EQ settings and fade to the rear, and system sounds good.
__________________
Current: 2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast
Retired: 2012 F30 335i Sedan - Sport Line

BMWCCA #471315
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM
cchrisv cchrisv is offline
Blue Bimmer!
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 217
Mein Auto: 2013 335i EBII
Dangit I just scrolled through this entire thread expecting an intresting response from BJ, I'm disapointed.
__________________
-----
Proud Owner of 2013 335 6spd EBII.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
chris328's Avatar
chris328 chris328 is offline
unbekannt
Location: Hell
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
Achy breaky heart
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,878
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquilax View Post
Who here has the HK sounds system and uses Spotify premium on it? If you put it on extreme quality in settings, it streams music at 320kbps. Do you guys think it sounds better on the HK system?

Discuss

just fyi - If you're interested in some information from Harman Kardon on the system itself Google "Harman Kardon Logic 7". I'm not an audiophile, but I found it interesting.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM
dzaborn dzaborn is offline
Registered User
Location: Jacksonville, FL
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i F30
Has anyone ripped CD's directly to the HD using the CD drive? Do we have any idea what format the output file is, what encoder is used, and at what bitrate is used? Are the rip/encode settings available to chose via iDrive? I don't think I've heard of anyone that has used/tried this but am interested in the ease and quailty.

I also have a question about mp3's playing via the car. Many albums now have songs that run together (as one song), with no silence in between. One recent album example is Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto. I wanted to know how the car handles this when playing an mp3 album? Do you hear a tiny gap from one song to the next with mp3 playback as opposed to the seamless transition you get when playing the CD? Is that unavoidable? I also am curious how playback is in this instance if you rip the CD to the HD using the CD drive.
__________________
2013 BMW 328i Sedan | Mojave Metallic Modern Line
Premium | Technology | Lighting | Rear View Camera | PDC | Harman Kardon | Heated Front Seats | 8AT
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM
chasfh's Avatar
chasfh chasfh is offline
Playin' With Your Head
Location: 60647
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 344
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
Depends on the codec. I think with MP3 you can probably tell the difference but with a good AAC rip, 128 already sounds excellent. 256 is marginally better if you are listening in a quiet home theater setup but if you are driving, I don't think the difference matters nearly as much. Don't forget that storage space is at a bit of a premium too.
By "good AAC rip", are you talking about ripping a CD in iTunes to 128 VBR? Or do you mean something else?
__________________
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
jdong jdong is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
By "good AAC rip", are you talking about ripping a CD in iTunes to 128 VBR? Or do you mean something else?
Yeah, that's a decent AAC encoder -- I've heard that Nero's AAC encoder is superior, though it's been a while since I've kept up with the status of codecs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms