Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325E
Gas on the Dipstick?

Hi! My 325e is having a hesitation/rough running issue. The air lines all seem good, but there is a smell of fuel on the oil dipstick. Could this be caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator?
Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
you need to be alot more specific than " gas on the dipstick"

is it on the outside of the dipstick tube ? inside the tube? is it at the bottom where you check the oil level ?

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Head Gasket time!

Aside from sealing the cylinder head and block, the BMW head gasket also seal the combustion chambers, coolant passages and oil passages between the head and block. This is the reason why whenever the head gasket on a BMW fails, an intermixing between the combustion gas, oil, and coolant could be easily noticed.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM
610EUROs

headgasket is very unlikely. i've never in my life heard of a bad m20 HG dumping fuel into the oil. you'd have to be running the motor with no spark to get unburned fuel into the oil.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 PM

and of course, I am sure you have seen it all.

our head gasket seals the combustion chamber too, if that seal fails unburnt fuel can enter the oil, granted coolant is more likely, but fuel can and does enter oil too when the head gaskets are blown on BMW's.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAfred View Post
and of course, I am sure you have seen it all.

our head gasket seals the combustion chamber too, if that seal fails unburnt fuel can enter the oil, granted coolant is more likely, but fuel can and does enter oil too when the head gaskets are blown on BMW's.
^agreed. Fuel can enter the oil on most any car with a blown HG. Seeing as most all engines' HG's seal the same areas.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Thank you,
OPs post was very clear about fuel on dipstick, mentioned nothing about the tube, inside the tube etc. what does Steve think, the OP was snorting his dipstick tube to smell what was in the oil sump?
He scared away the OP with a brazen post then after I give a reasonable suggestion he tells us that it is impossible since he has never seen it.

Help the OP or shut up is my motto, at least try Steve
Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 PM
610EUROs

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAfred View Post
Thank you,
OPs post was very clear about fuel on dipstick, mentioned nothing about the tube, inside the tube etc. what does Steve think, the OP was snorting his dipstick tube to smell what was in the oil sump?
He scared away the OP with a brazen post then after I give a reasonable suggestion he tells us that it is impossible since he has never seen it.

Help the OP or shut up is my motto, at least try Steve
i don't normally think people are completely ignorant and full of themselves after reading only two posts from them, but you managed

the OP's post was very clear ? the OP's post couldnt have been more vague.

"there is a smell of fuel on the oil dipstick. Could this be caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator?"

the OP think's the FPR is the issue, if the fpr O-ring fails it can spray fuel in any direction, like at the dipstick. which would be on the handle end, not in the motor at all and still 100% fit his description and could cause his problems.

you came in here with 1 completely out of the blue suggestion knowing no detailed information and call my post asking for more information to properly diagnose the issue "brazen"

no, when i diagnose a problem, i prefer to have as much detailed information as i can BEFORE even beginning to diagnose. you just come out of the blue with a random diagnoses and proceed to force that completely random diagnosis as the ONLY possible cause. you are the idiot.

lastly, read what i said. i know that may be hard with your head so far up your ass, but try. i specifically said your out of the blue diagnoses was "very unlikely" i never said impossible. don't create your own words and try to push them off as mine. i've seen blown headgaskets to the point where it took me an hour to clean the creamy sludge off the valve cover.

have you EVER owned an e30 ? or do you just come into random sections, throw out random bull**** and push it off as the only option to fix the problem ?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
i really hope its the handle that smells like fuel, for entertainment value mainly

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 AM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Well, while trying to keep things somewhat sane. The OP said he smelled fuel on the dipstick. Ok we got that. But let's go with your idea that the FPR o-ring took a crap and fuel sprays everywhere. Dont you think there would be fuel present in more places than just the dipstick and also dont you think the smell of fuel would be very strong even when just opening the hood? I think most would agree yes.

Now, if this ^ was the case (blown o-ring I remind you) why in the hell would the OP go directly to the oil dipstick and smell it? Makes ZERO sense to do that when there clearly would be fuel alot of other places around the engine bay.

Now what QA and I am agreeing with here is that the OP smells fuel on the bottom of the dipstick (not anything to do with the tube) where it is submerged in the engine oil. This is obviously the only logical explanation as to what the OP is referring to. Because no one goes to smell the dipstick tube (top or bottom inside or out) nor the handle for a fuel smell. Come now get real.

Im not calling you dumb by any means because you seem to know alot about these cars. However your responses to some are just rude (even if that wasnt your intent) and some will agree outright and others wont fess up to it.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Poor piston to cylinder seal can cause this too.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the help, sorry about the vagueness of my original post. The smell is on the dipstick itself, not the handle. There isn't a strong fuel smell in the rest of the compartment, or in the coolant. I had seen a post elsewhere that suggested a bad fpr could cause gas in the oil, and as I'm having other problems that point toward the fpr as well (Huge loss of power after first couple of seconds accelerating) I just wanted to clarify if a bad fpr could get gas into the oil!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Git

Mein Auto: 90 Ford Tempo
The engine management is overfueling the car.
Caused by:
1,lack of maintenance.
2,poor atomization of fuel by the injectors.
3, bad coolant temp sensor.
4, bad fuel regulator.
5, Unecessarily over sized injectors, or other silly hot rod tricks.
6, A tired worn out engine.
All resulting in poor drivability and fuel in the oil sump.

m
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Update: I replaced the fpr today, the hesitation is gone and the car is running wonderfully. After an oil change I'll see if it fixed the gas smell problem.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:35 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasb View Post
Update: I replaced the fpr today, the hesitation is gone and the car is running wonderfully. After an oil change I'll see if it fixed the gas smell problem.
i could already tell you, yes, and youll probably want to change your plugs too
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM
610EUROs

Quote:
Originally Posted by First time View Post
Now, if this ^ was the case (blown o-ring I remind you) why in the hell would the OP go directly to the oil dipstick and smell it? Makes ZERO sense to do that when there clearly would be fuel alot of other places around the engine bay.
ya, it clearly doesn't make sense that a person (trying to diagnose a problem) would check the oil or pull out the dipstick. but for arguments sake .. lets get a little crazy here , let me finish, i know this is nuts .. could you imagine if someone happened to pull out the dipstick (which you clearly hint at nobody EVER doing) and while holding the handle end .. they noticed a fuel smell on their hands or on the handle itself when they pulled it up to see the level ?

this wasn't the case with the OP. but based on his last post, the HG wasnt the issue either. so while i posted trying to get more information from the OP, to better diagnose his issue. you guys cluttered up his thread with BS and middle school non-sense.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM
1 John 1:9

Mein Auto: E30, Rabbit GTI
This is awesome.

Pressure regulator $70

Head gasket done at shop 1,500-2,000

Take is easy, don't go to the worst possible scenario.

This person was wise to seek some council to figure out what the problem was with his car. Anyone giving advise on a forum must respect that and give advise on topics one knows about and use as much information to best diagnose a problem. Could you image if you went to your doctor because you had a bad cough and your doctor said without any other information other then you have a cough that you have cancer.

Its best to know your place in every circumstance.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 PM
That Guy

Mein Auto: 99' 540i M-Sport
I think it'd be best to listen to fcsteve and bmwfatherfigure.. even though in this instance fcsteve got cut off before he got the rest of the info... I've never received bad advice from either of them, or ever seen any bad advice given.

Still not sure how a leaky o ring can cause fuel in the oil.... I would point fingers towards HG or bad piston rings. Which I would see as causing hesitation as well.

My e model was running rich because the tempature coolant sensor was bad.. but not rich enough to dump fuel into the crankcase. Even with it fully disconnected and shooting flames out the back... still no fuel in the oil.

1985 335i
Black on Black coupe 5spd
R.I.P

1979 Trans Am 10th Anniversary
#16 of 5,683 made

KOI Import Parts-- 513-771-7777
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsteve View Post
ya, it clearly doesn't make sense that a person (trying to diagnose a problem) would check the oil or pull out the dipstick. but for arguments sake .. lets get a little crazy here , let me finish, i know this is nuts .. could you imagine if someone happened to pull out the dipstick (which you clearly hint at nobody EVER doing) and while holding the handle end .. they noticed a fuel smell on their hands or on the handle itself when they pulled it up to see the level ?

this wasn't the case with the OP. but based on his last post, the HG wasnt the issue either. so while i posted trying to get more information from the OP, to better diagnose his issue. you guys cluttered up his thread with BS and middle school non-sense.
Haha, i like how you conviently skipped over what I said. I said, "if there was a bad o-ring then there would be fuel all over the place not just on the dipstick handle." I then pointed out that nobody would go directly to the dipstick handle to check the oil if there is gas all over the place. Because obviously checking the dipstick will give you no answer as to why there is gas all over the engine bay. Cant get any more clear than that.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Also by your logic a person "trying to diagnose a problem" checks the dipstick everytime then right no matter what they are doing. Oh brakes are making noise, better check the dipstick. Lmao.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM
610EUROs

Quote:
Haha, i like how you conviently skipped over what I said. I said, "if there was a bad o-ring then there would be fuel all over the place not just on the dipstick handle." I then pointed out that nobody would go directly to the dipstick handle to check the oil if there is gas all over the place. Because obviously checking the dipstick will give you no answer as to why there is gas all over the engine bay. Cant get any more clear than that.
Quote:
Also by your logic a person "trying to diagnose a problem" checks the dipstick everytime then right no matter what they are doing. Oh brakes are making noise, better check the dipstick. Lmao.
still making a fool of yourself huh ? we are talking about running issues here, not brake problems.

have you ever seen a bad injector o-ring ? while you seem to think it floods the entire engine bay with gallons of fuel .. it doesnt

the o-ring can develop a crack and shoot a small spray of fuel in any 1 direction. it could easily spray towards the handle, and get on the tube/handle and leak down. a person checkign would only notice it on the handle because most people don't stick their face into the engine bay.

don't keep digging a hole.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 AM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

I perfectly fine where im at. Im not in a hole.

The same statement applies to yourself to Steve. You keep responding to me as I do you right? Your statements are no better than mine. So who is digging themselves a hole? By your logic, FPR o-ring is bad check the dipstick. Injector o-ring is bad check the dipstick.

Funny how in both cases, the small stream of gas so happens perfectly spray at the dipstick handle. Hmmm

I have seen o-rings fail. Some are not as nice as you percieve them to be. Some dont spray a nice little tinkle.

Go ahead keep digging. If we are both in a hole guess Were gonna see who can di a bigger one right?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
i could already tell you, yes, and youll probably want to change your plugs too
Thanks, Downhiller, I figured it would take care of the problem but I don't want to jump to any conclusions with this car! This is probably a stupid question, but why would I need to change the plugs after this?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 AM
That Guy

Quote:
I perfectly fine where im at. Im not in a hole.

The same statement applies to yourself to Steve. You keep responding to me as I do you right? Your statements are no better than mine. So who is digging themselves a hole? By your logic, FPR o-ring is bad check the dipstick. Injector o-ring is bad check the dipstick.

Funny how in both cases, the small stream of gas so happens perfectly spray at the dipstick handle. Hmmm

I have seen o-rings fail. Some are not as nice as you percieve them to be. Some dont spray a nice little tinkle.

Go ahead keep digging. If we are both in a hole guess Were gonna see who can di a bigger one right?
I can tell your not so bright. Just remeber all of this when you have a problem yourself. Ever heard of "Don't bite the hand that feeds" well steve and fatherfigure feed plenty of knowledge to this forum.

1985 335i
R.I.P

#16 of 5,683 made

Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasb View Post
Thanks, Downhiller, I figured it would take care of the problem but I don't want to jump to any conclusions with this car! This is probably a stupid question, but why would I need to change the plugs after this?
After running Rich or Lean for a while, your plugs will build a carbon up on them or a soot. Either way it would retard your spark, maybe enough to cause misfires later. I know in my 2nd gen AWD DSM, if I ran too high of boost for too long my air fuel ratio's would go crazy and I would actually melt the tip of my spark plugs off.

1985 335i
R.I.P

#16 of 5,683 made