Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
AWD comparison

An interesting real world comparison video between xdrive and the competition

Ads by Google
Old 01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Saw that a while back but I guess every manufacturer has a similar comparison/video in which theirs wins the competition. I remember one also with Audi Quattro vs. BMW XDrive where Audi won
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM

If you find it again, post it. Would be interesting to see!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM

This is one where the audi quattro wins vs an x1

A different awd course

And this is the one the folks who buy winter tires for their x3 really want to be able to do!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...A&feature=fvwp

Last edited by scubapup; 01-06-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: incorrect second url
Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 PM

lexus really gets slammed on these

this one's for acura

no bmw in the comparison though
Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
I think those are among some I've seen.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
And this is the one the folks who buy winter tires for their x3 really want to be able to do!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...A&feature=fvwp

Cool video but I don't see how winter tires have anything to do with it.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: German
These videos are such crap. All completely fake and rigged.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
These videos are such crap. All completely fake and rigged.
I don't think they are faked or rigged but manufactures are picking test that they know their vehicle will excel at for the demonstrations.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
I don't think they are faked or rigged but manufactures are picking test that they know their vehicle will excel at for the demonstrations.
No. Look at that Acura video. Traction control is off and ABS fuses have been pulled on the RX and Audi. No car just sits there spinning its drive wheels. ABS and ECS usually cut in to try to gain traction.

And that Audi Q7 going up the hill in that video is also pure crap. I've owned a Q7 and know that it doesn't just sit there spinning the wheels.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
The video posted by the OP is a cut above the rest. The narrator, who works at a BMW dealership, attempts to infuse and purport the neutrality of the usual biased 4wd test with some remarks on how the caddy is almost similar to the X-drive, and yadda yadda. Good work on that.

If you wanted a fair comparison, I suggest someone needs to get themselves three rollers, gather a decent group of rival crossovers (so small luxury x overs), and figure what the manual says will give you the best traction in the snow (some say turn off the TC, or activate snow mode ETC), and then attempt the test.

Honestly, each vehicle is great in its 4wd design. However the fact of the matter is when their is no traction, no amount of electro wizadry will get you out. All you can hope for is that you never get in a position where you arrive at that. And judging by the consumer of luxury crossovers, the closest these vehicles and their owners will ever get is maybe stuck in some light snow in a unshoveled parking lot.

Best bet, is to buy urself a 4Lo & mechanical locking diffs capable vehicle, with good ground clearance, and snow tires (w/ or w/o snow chains or studs).

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!

Last edited by NoI4plz; 01-07-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: x3
You can't always base your opinion on mfg released videos. The BMW and Audi systems are fairly similar, Lexus is constantly last and rightfully so.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambmw View Post
You can't always base your opinion on mfg released videos. The BMW and Audi systems are fairly similar, Lexus is constantly last and rightfully so.
No. The Audi and BMW systems aren't very similar. Audi uses a mechanical Torsen AWD system, whereas the BMW uses a series of clutch packs to distribute power, so it is more electronic. The only similarity is the rear power bias for both.

But Audi also has many different systems, such as the Haldex system (in the TT, A3), Crown-gear center diff system (RS5, A8, A6, etc), and the systems with the sport rear diff (S4, S5, A8, etc)

The Lexus system is half-assed. One of those reactive systems that is 100% FWD, until it senses slip, then goes to the back. xDrive/Quattro are proactive, constantly shifting torque/power around.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 01-08-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
The Lexus system is half-assed. One of those reactive systems that is 100% AWD, until it senses slip, then goes to the back. xDrive/Quattro are proactive, constantly shifting torque/power around.
Shouldn't it read 100% FWD until it senses slip, then it goes to the back? I believe there is a limitation of how much power can be sent to the back. I believe there is some sort-of "engagement" button to force AWD but only to a certain speed (25mph?).
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
Shouldn't it read 100% FWD until it senses slip, then it goes to the back? I believe there is a limitation of how much power can be sent to the back. I believe there is some sort-of "engagement" button to force AWD but only to a certain speed (25mph?).
Oops, fixed
Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
No. Look at that Acura video. Traction control is off and ABS fuses have been pulled on the RX and Audi. No car just sits there spinning its drive wheels. ABS and ECS usually cut in to try to gain traction.

And that Audi Q7 going up the hill in that video is also pure crap. I've owned a Q7 and know that it doesn't just sit there spinning the wheels.
Good point, but I don't speak German so for all I know they told us they turned off the traction control.

Also now that I think of it, to really do a true comparison all the vehicles would need to have the same type of tires as well since tires have a lot to do with the traction of the vehicle and I doubt that they are fitting the same tires on all vehicles for these test.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post

Also now that I think of it, to really do a true comparison all the vehicles would need to have the same type of tires as well since tires have a lot to do with the traction of the vehicle and I doubt that they are fitting the same tires on all vehicles for these test.
Yup. I want to see a third party testing these cars. All with the same tires on them in equivalent conditions. And no, I don't want to see this roller BS. Actual real-world ice, snow, wet conditions

The Acura video, IMO, is the worst because they leave everything ON for the Acura and let it torque-vector all the power to the side with traction. They pulled the fuse for the Audi and wouldn't let it send power to the wheels with traction.