Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: F350 Diesel 2011
I am a pretty big boy @ 6'3 and 275 ...and the Cayenne felt crampted to me ... I liked the quality feel of the cockpit other than its size.. since I was looking TDI I did drive the T-reg and that felt roomier..the engine and drivetrain and base suspntion are almost idenical other than the elusive "Tune" that all say makes the $18K difference..I found the T-Reg hybrid a "quick;/fun" alternative and in the T-Reg price affordable..however there is not a dealership I could find in SC that employed the "tech" required for the dealership to sell it. just re-inforcing the fact that VW should stay in the Eco line..The Treg is a misfit in these dealerships as a "Luxury SUV"
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippa View Post
The Treg is a misfit in these dealerships as a "Luxury SUV"
I felt like it was a misfit at two of the dealers I talked to. The first dealer I went to did not seem to really know anything about the Treg.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I wonder how many Porsche stores have the necessary tech to service their (identical) hybrid Cayenne either? And they certainly have to be classified as a "luxury" car. The hybrid T-egg (and the Audi, and Cayenne sisters) is/are in my mind a niche vehicle(s) with little to recommend them -- other than perhaps a more startling off the line performance. Their diesels get virtually the same fuel mileage and with a much less complicated package. That said the T-egg TDI is starting to appear as a real bargain among these larger SUV/SAV offerings. Starting with the '13 MY they have the same drive train as the Cayenne and Q7 at a much lower price, while still retaining an excellent interior and overall packge. I just wish their dealer network matched the quality of their cars.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I wonder how many Porsche stores have the necessary tech to service their (identical) hybrid Cayenne either? And they certainly have to be classified as a "luxury" car. The hybrid T-egg (and the Audi, and Cayenne sisters) is/are in my mind a niche vehicle(s) with little to recommend them -- other than perhaps a more startling off the line performance. Their diesels get virtually the same fuel mileage and with a much less complicated package. That said the T-egg TDI is starting to appear as a real bargain among these larger SUV/SAV offerings. Starting with the '13 MY they have the same drive train as the Cayenne and Q7 at a much lower price, while still retaining an excellent interior and overall packge. I just wish their dealer network matched the quality of their cars.
I agree, I guess the hybrids have the added function of being able to run with zero emissions for periods which seems important to some, other than that they are just expensive and complex without much benefits compared to a diesel and the T-egg seems like good value but I think it has a troublesome reliability record if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by solstice; 01-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
I wonder how many Porsche stores have the necessary tech to service their (identical) hybrid Cayenne either?
Same thing with VW dealers. Only some are "Hybrid-ceritifed." I'm very good friends with my local VW store's manager. He said they spent a good amount of money to get certified. The Touareg Hybrid requires a lot of "special" tools, I guess. This makes no sense because Jetta Hybrid came out and it is sold at every dealer (unlike Treg)

I wonder if Porsche has the same designation.

On the topic of VW dealer quality, it is such a hit or miss. My local dealer is fantastic, yet the other dealer (which is closer to me) is complete crap. Sucks because they also sell Audi and Porsche

Last edited by AutoUnion; 01-06-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I agree, I guess the hybrids have the added function of being able to run with zero emissions for periods which seems important to some, other than that they are just expensive and complex without much benefits compared to a diesel and the T-egg seems like good value but I think it has a troublesome reliability record if I'm not mistaken.
If I'm not mistaken, the Touareg Hybrid was never meant to be "green" or "eco." VW didn't want to certify the V8 model (The Q7 isn't sold with an 8 anymore either), so they brought the hybrid over. It is supposed to give you V8 like performance with V6 MPG. I've driven it and it's stupid fast when the electric motor is providing extra boost.

It sort of makes sense with the Touareg, but it's pretty useless on the Cayenne, when you have so many fantastic V8 options. (S, GTS, Turbo)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post

On the topic of VW dealer quality, it is such a hit or miss. My local dealer is fantastic, yet the other dealer (which is closer to me) is complete crap. Sucks because they also sell Audi and Porsche
I dunno, seems hit or miss with any brand down here. My worst experience at a dealer is either going to be VW or BMW. But I can't think of a single make where people I know are happy with every dealer in town. A lot of those people have dealers within their favorite make that they just flat out avoid at all costs.

Last edited by Snipe656; 01-06-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Still it would be nice to have that supercharged V6 they use in the Hybrid as a powerplant choice on its own! I have to say that I am leaning more and more towards a T-egg, since it appears the Q5 TDI may not show up for about a year in any quantity and I don't want to wait that long. Same with the Jeep diesel too. We will get them but not very many and not very soon.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Still it would be nice to have that supercharged V6 they use in the Hybrid as a powerplant choice on its own! I have to say that I am leaning more and more towards a T-egg, since it appears the Q5 TDI may not show up for about a year in any quantity and I don't want to wait that long. Same with the Jeep diesel too. We will get them but not very many and not very soon.
Yeah, I think they should dump the base 3.6 and put the 3.0T like Audi has done with the Q7

And the Q5 just got the 3.0T for MY13.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
I have to say that I am leaning more and more towards a T-egg
UncleJ, have you seen the threads on Club Touareg about the mysterious steering wheel shake on new Touareg TDI's? There is no known fix yet, I would wait buying one until they find out the problem. I test drove two T-eggs, one of them had a horrible steering wheel shake at about 65 mph. Other than that, it's a great vehicle IMO.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 AM

Missed the thread on T-egg Lounge but did see one on VW Vortex where the "shake" was fixed. So at least they are working on it. As an aside, I wonder if the Cayenne diesel has that problem? Probably different steering assemblies though. If I get one that will be one of the things I will look for!

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-07-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
UncleJ, have you seen the threads on Club Touareg about the mysterious steering wheel shake on new Touareg TDI's? There is no known fix yet, I would wait buying one until they find out the problem. I test drove two T-eggs, one of them had a horrible steering wheel shake at about 65 mph. Other than that, it's a great vehicle IMO.
Interesting. One of the T-eggs I drove had a wheel whobble/vibration around 65mph. It was an ex-demo car with around 3k miles on it and really just felt like tires out of balance. Perhaps it was something a lot more than tire balancing though. I'd not classified it as horrible shaking though, so maybe I experienced something different.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Here's the link http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...ake-77157.html

Somebody thinks they have a fix, nothing conclusive http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f4...-t3-81972.html
Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Interesting. One of the T-eggs I drove had a wheel whobble/vibration around 65mph. It was an ex-demo car with around 3k miles on it and really just felt like tires out of balance. Perhaps it was something a lot more than tire balancing though. I'd not classified it as horrible shaking though, so maybe I experienced something different.
Indeed interresting. When I picked up our Cayenne I noticed a slight steering wheel vibration at around 75 Mph that went away again above 80 mph. I had them rebalance all four tires and as I can tell it took care of it but I haven't spent much time at those speeds since then. The speed limit around here is 60 mph until you get further out of town where it becomes 70 mph on the interstate. Thanks for sharing this info since it seems that it could be more to it.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Missed the thread on T-egg Lounge but did see one on VW Vortex where the "shake" was fixed. So at least they are working on it. As an aside, I wonder if the Cayenne diesel has that problem? Probably different steering assemblies though. If I get one that will be one of the things I will look for!
side note, check this out!

Audi SQ5 Coming to America with Boosted 3.0 TFSI Supercharged V6

Quote:
From Audi...

The new Audi SQ5 shown at the Detroit Auto Show is the first ever to be powered by a gasoline engine – in this case one producing 260 kW (354 hp) and 470 Nm (346.65 lb-ft) of torque. The new top-of-the-line model, which was designed specifically for markets such as the United States, Canada and China, uses a 3.0 TFSI engine with forced induction. It sprints from zero to 100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 5.3 seconds on its way to a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).

The new SQ5 is powered by a free-revving, supercharged, three-liter V6 engine with a displacement of 2,995 cc. Its compressor sits in the 90-degree V of the cylinder banks and is belt-driven by the crankshaft. Two rotors inside the supercharger spin at over 20,000 rpm. The air gap between them is just a few thousandths of a millimeter. The supercharger compresses the intake air to as much as 0.8 bar; two intercoolers then cool it for greater power.

The compressor is located downstream of the throttle valve. Its drive requires little engine power, as the density of the intake air is very low at loads below the supercharging level and when coasting. Torque develops early and quickly due to the short gas paths downstream of the supercharger. Various measures dampen compressor noise. A balance shaft in the engine’s alloy crankcase provides for greater smoothness. Adjustable intake camshafts and flaps in the intake ports provide for good charging efficiency in the combustion chambers.

The 3.0 TFSI engine produces 260 kW (354 hp) between 6,000 and 6,500 rpm, and delivers 470 Nm (346.65 lb-ft) of torque to the crankshaft between 4,000 and 4,500 rpm.
The sprint from zero to 100 km/h (0-62 mph) takes just 5.3 seconds – best in its class. Top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h (155 mph). The Audi SQ5 consumes on average 8.5 liters of fuel per 100 km in the NEDC (21 US mpg). This equates to CO2 emissions of 199 grams per kilometer (320.26 g/m) in the NEDC.

An eight-speed tiptronic and quattro permanent all-wheel drive with torque vectoring transfer the power of the SQ5 firmly to the road. The fast-shifting automatic transmission offers two modes, and the driver can also switch gears manually via the standard shift paddles on the steering wheel.

The chassis of the Audi SQ5 lowers the body 30 millimeters (1.18 in). The springs and shock absorbers are more tautly tuned for a sporty and balanced setup. The 20-inch wheels are fitted with 255/45-series tires; 21-inch wheels are available. The brake calipers on the front axle sport the SQ5 badge. The electromechanical steering not only plays a major role in the efficiency of the SQ5, it also provides very precise road feel. Audi also offers the optional dynamic steering with a steplessly variable ratio. Control of it is integrated in the optional Audi drive select system, which allows the driver to switch among several modes in various systems.

The platinum gray radiator grille with its horizontal double bars in aluminum look, the distinctive bumpers and the roof spoiler are particularly eye-catching. V6 T badges adorn the front fenders. The gloss package and exterior mirrors in aluminum look accentuate the windows. In addition, there are two exclusive crystal-effect finishes: Estoril Blue and Panther Black.

Sportiness carries over to the interior. The instruments feature gray dials and white numerals; the pedals and shift paddles have a shiny aluminum-look finish.

The interior is bathed in black, with the headlining optionally available in Moon Silver. The standard power-adjustable sport seats are covered with a combination of Pearl Nappa leather and Alcantara, with four different colors of leather optional. The standard inlays are brushed aluminum. Options include Carbon Atlas, Piano finish or layered aluminum and wood in Beaufort black.

The SQ5 is scheduled to arrive at U.S. dealerships in the third quarter of 2013. The list of standard equipment is extensive. In addition to the aforementioned features, there are also xenon plus headlights with LED daytime driving lights, a stainless-steel loading-sill protector and a driver information system with color display. The luggage compartment offers up to 1,560 liters (59.33 cu ft) of capacity.

Audi can supply this dynamic SUV with an array of optional assistance and infotainment systems. MMI navigation plus and the Bluetooth online car phone provide the Internet services from Audi connect to the vehicle.

The Audi SQ5 has been designed specifically for the following markets: United States, Canada, Russia, China, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and the Ukraine. In Germany and many other European markets, the SQ5 TDI takes its place as the sporty top model in its series.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Sweet! Too bad thats not a diesel.....! In any case it may be a real problem for the X3 35 performance crown.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: F350 Diesel 2011
Kooolll...What about something that exciting on the 7 frame..?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippa View Post
Kooolll...What about something that exciting on the 7 frame..?
redesigned Q7 is coming
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Is it me or is that SQ5 looks more like a really nice wagon?

The height is a little short for an SUV. Nevertheless, I like that design. I don't really value the height of SUV. I got an X5 more for the storage vs. a 5 series. That SQ5 looks really nice.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM

It makes you wonder what the top engine in the Porsche Macan will be to sufficently punish this SQ5? A Boxer or V8 engine seems unlikely so maybe a twin turbo version of the Panamera V6 that could also be used in the upcoming "Pajun"?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i
I was recently in the market for a new SUV and it was between the X5 Diesel and Cayenne V6. The incentives for the X5 were tempting but in the end I chose the Cayenne. I agree with other posters that the build quality and materials used in the Cayenne are a step up from the BMW. Additionally, options are ridiculous for the Porsche, in fact mine had about 21k in options including the $5900 21" rims.

The X5d I was looking had a sticker of ~72k and with discounting was about 58k. The Cayenne had a sticker of ~73k and with discounting was 62.5k.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguy79 View Post
I was recently in the market for a new SUV and it was between the X5 Diesel and Cayenne V6. The incentives for the X5 were tempting but in the end I chose the Cayenne. I agree with other posters that the build quality and materials used in the Cayenne are a step up from the BMW. Additionally, options are ridiculous for the Porsche, in fact mine had about 21k in options including the $5900 21" rims.

The X5d I was looking had a sticker of ~72k and with discounting was about 58k. The Cayenne had a sticker of ~73k and with discounting was 62.5k.
That is bar none the best discount I ever heard of on a Cayenne. Very, very well negotiated and congrats!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM

+1! You can't get close to that discount around here on the new diesel. A 2% discount is about the best I have seen -- and that is on a special order! Off the lot, you're lucky if it doesn't have an ADP sticker on it if they even have one!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguy79 View Post

Damn, congrats! That is an AWESOME discount. They don't budge around here.

What options did you get? And those 21inch rims are awesome. Shame, they're so overpriced.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
What about something between the Touareg and the Cayenne?

The Audi Q7....