Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
jtm964's Avatar
jtm964 jtm964 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas TX
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 428
Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, X5 3.0, 986S
MZ4: Engine rattling noise

Have a question regarding the Z4M engine.. I noticed there is some kind of slight rattling/vibration inside the engine when the RPM is around 3000 to 3500. Once it rev past that zone, the vibration is gone. Anyone has an idea what that maybe? Appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 PM
SUNZOUT SUNZOUT is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bataiva, IL
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,575
Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
I know the Z3 engines are know for a "vanos" rattle. Fix is to replace the vanos solenoid.

I guess it maybe something that they still have not fixed.
__________________

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm964 View Post
Have a question regarding the Z4M engine.. I noticed there is some kind of slight rattling/vibration inside the engine when the RPM is around 3000 to 3500. Once it rev past that zone, the vibration is gone. Anyone has an idea what that maybe? Appreciated.
Do a search using
vanos noise
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 PM
BMW_tech's Avatar
BMW_tech BMW_tech is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: halfway there
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,019
Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm964 View Post
Have a question regarding the Z4M engine.. I noticed there is some kind of slight rattling/vibration inside the engine when the RPM is around 3000 to 3500. Once it rev past that zone, the vibration is gone. Anyone has an idea what that maybe? Appreciated.
have someone rev it to where the noise is present and try to locate where it is originating from.if front around vanos,its vanos.if lower than vanos,its the chain tensioner.im sure you keep your vehicle well maintained and changes the oil on time.
__________________
YOUR SECRET ADMIRER
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-06-2007, 01:44 PM
jtm964's Avatar
jtm964 jtm964 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas TX
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 428
Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, X5 3.0, 986S
Thanks...
yes its well maintained... only have 3000 miles and oil was changed at 1200 miles
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-06-2007, 04:16 PM
nhs156 nhs156 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 228
Mein Auto: '10 M5
It is the VANOS - there's a BMW service advisory out that say it's normal. Saw it here or some other site. That said, the dealer replaced mine at 5500 miles as it was "too noisy" (causing dash rattles). Go figure...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 PM
BMW_tech's Avatar
BMW_tech BMW_tech is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: halfway there
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,019
Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhs156 View Post
It is the VANOS - there's a BMW service advisory out that say it's normal. Saw it here or some other site. That said, the dealer replaced mine at 5500 miles as it was "too noisy" (causing dash rattles). Go figure...
I had a tech that replaced one after an advisement from a Field Service Engineer and did not cure the noise problem.After I was asked for an opinion I grabbed my stethoscope and found the noise lower than the replaced VANOS.I then removed the chain tensioner and found it easy to collapse by squeezing it.Replaced the tensioner,and the noise was gone.The noise was caused by the slack on the chain,no damage will/was ever caused by previous experiences with timing chains.Hydraulic tensioners can collapse due to restrictions in oil flow,much like the lifters.Regular oil changes should be adhered to in preventing sludge formation or contamination especially the weekend drivers.Daily drivers often experience this when it reaches high mileage due to engine oil services becoming too frequent and exceeds service interval before performing/taking action.
The newer it is and the more we baby it.The older it gets,the less one cares.There is no happy medium,just plain common sense in maintenance and vehicle condition.
__________________
YOUR SECRET ADMIRER
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 AM
nitrydr1600 nitrydr1600 is offline
Registered User
Location: michigan
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 1997 z3, 1982 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
I had a tech that replaced one after an advisement from a Field Service Engineer and did not cure the noise problem.After I was asked for an opinion I grabbed my stethoscope and found the noise lower than the replaced VANOS.I then removed the chain tensioner and found it easy to collapse by squeezing it.Replaced the tensioner,and the noise was gone.The noise was caused by the slack on the chain,no damage will/was ever caused by previous experiences with timing chains.Hydraulic tensioners can collapse due to restrictions in oil flow,much like the lifters.Regular oil changes should be adhered to in preventing sludge formation or contamination especially the weekend drivers.Daily drivers often experience this when it reaches high mileage due to engine oil services becoming too frequent and exceeds service interval before performing/taking action.
The newer it is and the more we baby it.The older it gets,the less one cares.There is no happy medium,just plain common sense in maintenance and vehicle condition.
is that common for a 97 1.9 engine also? i have 1 that sounds like a rattle around the chain but not sure if it could be a tensioner
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
nitrydr1600 nitrydr1600 is offline
Registered User
Location: michigan
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 1997 z3, 1982 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrydr1600 View Post
is that common for a 97 1.9 engine also? i have 1 that sounds like a rattle around the chain but not sure if it could be a tensioner
changed the tensioner and still have the rattle??????? any ideas. seem to keep getting knock sensor codes 300 and 325

Last edited by nitrydr1600; 01-08-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms