Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, X5 3.0, 986S
MZ4: Engine rattling noise

Have a question regarding the Z4M engine.. I noticed there is some kind of slight rattling/vibration inside the engine when the RPM is around 3000 to 3500. Once it rev past that zone, the vibration is gone. Anyone has an idea what that maybe? Appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
I know the Z3 engines are know for a "vanos" rattle. Fix is to replace the vanos solenoid.

I guess it maybe something that they still have not fixed.

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix
Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm964 View Post
Have a question regarding the Z4M engine.. I noticed there is some kind of slight rattling/vibration inside the engine when the RPM is around 3000 to 3500. Once it rev past that zone, the vibration is gone. Anyone has an idea what that maybe? Appreciated.
Do a search using
vanos noise
Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm964 View Post
have someone rev it to where the noise is present and try to locate where it is originating from.if front around vanos,its vanos.if lower than vanos,its the chain tensioner.im sure you keep your vehicle well maintained and changes the oil on time.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, X5 3.0, 986S
Thanks...
yes its well maintained... only have 3000 miles and oil was changed at 1200 miles
Old 10-06-2007, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: '10 M5
It is the VANOS - there's a BMW service advisory out that say it's normal. Saw it here or some other site. That said, the dealer replaced mine at 5500 miles as it was "too noisy" (causing dash rattles). Go figure...
Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhs156 View Post
It is the VANOS - there's a BMW service advisory out that say it's normal. Saw it here or some other site. That said, the dealer replaced mine at 5500 miles as it was "too noisy" (causing dash rattles). Go figure...
I had a tech that replaced one after an advisement from a Field Service Engineer and did not cure the noise problem.After I was asked for an opinion I grabbed my stethoscope and found the noise lower than the replaced VANOS.I then removed the chain tensioner and found it easy to collapse by squeezing it.Replaced the tensioner,and the noise was gone.The noise was caused by the slack on the chain,no damage will/was ever caused by previous experiences with timing chains.Hydraulic tensioners can collapse due to restrictions in oil flow,much like the lifters.Regular oil changes should be adhered to in preventing sludge formation or contamination especially the weekend drivers.Daily drivers often experience this when it reaches high mileage due to engine oil services becoming too frequent and exceeds service interval before performing/taking action.
The newer it is and the more we baby it.The older it gets,the less one cares.There is no happy medium,just plain common sense in maintenance and vehicle condition.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 z3, 1982 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
I had a tech that replaced one after an advisement from a Field Service Engineer and did not cure the noise problem.After I was asked for an opinion I grabbed my stethoscope and found the noise lower than the replaced VANOS.I then removed the chain tensioner and found it easy to collapse by squeezing it.Replaced the tensioner,and the noise was gone.The noise was caused by the slack on the chain,no damage will/was ever caused by previous experiences with timing chains.Hydraulic tensioners can collapse due to restrictions in oil flow,much like the lifters.Regular oil changes should be adhered to in preventing sludge formation or contamination especially the weekend drivers.Daily drivers often experience this when it reaches high mileage due to engine oil services becoming too frequent and exceeds service interval before performing/taking action.
The newer it is and the more we baby it.The older it gets,the less one cares.There is no happy medium,just plain common sense in maintenance and vehicle condition.
is that common for a 97 1.9 engine also? i have 1 that sounds like a rattle around the chain but not sure if it could be a tensioner
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 z3, 1982 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrydr1600 View Post
is that common for a 97 1.9 engine also? i have 1 that sounds like a rattle around the chain but not sure if it could be a tensioner
changed the tensioner and still have the rattle??????? any ideas. seem to keep getting knock sensor codes 300 and 325

Last edited by nitrydr1600; 01-08-2013 at 10:33 AM.