Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
QX56 4wd w/ theather pack vs X5 35i w/ prem,cold, tech, third row and apps

If you had the need to haul normally haul 3 adults and a dog, and 5 adults and a dog sometimes, would the X5 be a better choice than an qx56.

Mind you:

the qx56 is a giant whale (has the space, and similar tech (around view), plus quite comfortable of an interior).
The x5 is a nicely sized, mid-size chic vehicle (third row is a joke, but only one seat would be used, while the other is folded for the dog, the quality of driving is better, and it seems higher quality than the qx)

Any comments appreciated, as the family friend is in the market, and test drove both vehicles but needs any additional comments.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: German
Neither. The QX is hideous and the third row in the X5 is a joke.

There is only one good choice in this segment and that's the Mercedes GL.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Infitis are ugly and with their ugly shark headlights and giant bumpers getting uglier every year. I had 3rd seating row in my previous X5 and I agree, it is a joke. I could not sit a 12 year old there. GL-class for me any day. I wish BMW someday with come out with a GL size vehicle.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
2013 is a Big year for SUVs with new X5, Q7, Rover and maybe a new large Volvo XC. At least the Q7 and Volvo should have a good third row and maybe the new X5 as well. My advice, wait six months and you should have a clearer picture of the around the corner choices. The QX is ghastly to look at.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
2013 is a Big year for SUVs with new X5, Q7, Rover and maybe a new large Volvo XC. At least the Q7 and Volvo should have a good third row and maybe the new X5 as well. My advice, wait six months and you should have a clearer picture of the around the corner choices. The QX is ghastly to look at.
Volvo is such a joke. The XC90 has competed with every generation of the Lexus RX, ML, X5 lol

And they wonder why their sales suck.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Volvo is such a joke. The XC90 has competed with every generation of the Lexus RX, ML, X5 lol

And they wonder why their sales suck.
They are small and are forced to much longer model cycles. The same applied to SAAB with the 9000/9-5 being pretty much the same car from 1984 - 2010... However in 1984 there wasn't much in it's price class from Germany that could touch it in luxury,innovation, practicality and power. I had a 1988 Turbo and it was a great car for it's time. In 2010? Not so much...

Last edited by solstice; 01-08-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
They are small and are forced to much longer model cycles. The same applied to SAAB with the 9000/9-5 being pretty much the same car from 1984 - 2010... However in 1984 there wasn't much in it's price class from Germany that could touch it in luxury,innovation, practicality and power. I had a 1988 Turbo and it was a great car for it's time. In 2010? Not so much...
Not an excuse. Mazda is small. Subaru is small. They all don't let their one of their most important models lag. Saab is a whole another issue. Hell, Volvo was under Ford, so it's not like they didn't have money. Now under the Chinese, they aren't strapped for cash either.

I guess the Swedes just suck at managing car companies and making good products
Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Not an excuse. Mazda is small. Subaru is small. They all don't let their one of their most important models lag. Saab is a whole another issue. Hell, Volvo was under Ford, so it's not like they didn't have money. Now under the Chinese, they aren't strapped for cash either.

Yeah, it's really just the Germans, Japanese and Koreans that has it down now a days with the exception of exotics where the Italians rules supreme and likely always will...
Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:

I agree with you. I owned an XC90 for four years and liked the car (except the transmission failure and other million problems) but Volvo kind of sucks in terms of keeping up with updates. XC90 redesign is long overdue. 10-11 years with the same freaking design. They better come out with something WOW. It is however, one of the safest SUV. Check out the XC90's rollover test - nothing happens to this car. Absolutely amazing.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:38 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
If you had the need to haul normally haul 3 adults and a dog, and 5 adults and a dog sometimes, would the X5 be a better choice than an qx56.
NO, the X5 is simply not design to "comfortably" accommodate the 5 adults and a dog. 4 adults & no dog, yes but a fifth with any size AT ALL (say over 120lbs) would not be comfortable in the rear and the dog 'could" be put behind the rear seat...I guess.

If you want to compare sizes, the X5 is much, MUCH closer to the Infiniti JX than it is to the QX and IMHO the JX has at least a modicum of style whereas the QX is essentially an alternative to a Escalade.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 01-10-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 PM

All valid points.

The problem lies it that intended consumer loves the BMW driving feel, but needs the extra space. The GL is really devoid of the key options that the friend wants (2nd row folding power and etc). Plus GL is on a price premium.

The JX's transmission is a marvel considering its a CVT. However, where it impresses in value and safety tech (Active cruise w/ full speed, active and passice lane assist, MOD, around view, and etc) it just feels like a rip-off considering you could just purchase a pathfinder, and some of the options such as manual xenon headlights (not active), no apps integration, really weird wood trimmings just throw it out of the running.

The Qx, although shares some oddities of the JX, has a monsterous V8, and alotttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt of room. Plus the current incentives put the Qx at a huge advantage, (qx56 w/ theatre package = base x5 premium).

Soooo tricky lol.

But not mine decision to make so simply acting as the info gatherer lol

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Yea Mazda not a volvo.

Mazda shares platform development costs with Ford (Ford Fiesta and Mazda 2)

Volvo was once a ford brand, however once that went out the door, they really had no budget. However you cant beat volvo for not changing their model lines, as it doesn't matter, since what they lack in sheet metal development they deliver in safety tech. I think its probably a tie between them and Mercedes as "Pioneers in safety"

Plus I think we can all agree Polestar is doing wonders for their range. (c30 blue anyone).

Why does this matter?