Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528I
Electric problems :S

First my steering wheel controls stopped working and so did the horn, a month after that the stereo, turning lights and the little light of the car on the dashboard that show the open doors and all that stopped working too, the turning lights work it just doesn't show them on the dashboard, another problem that the car is having is that sometimes it won't start like if the battery was dead but I keep trying and after a while it turns on, that was actually the problem before the stereo and the other things stopped working, I drive a 528i 2000 hope anybody can help me? I can give more details if needed.
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Start by checking thoroughly your battery and charging system, if it checks OK, maybe do the visor trick. If this fails, you might need a GT1 scanner. It might be GM3 module.

So start with the low-cost, easy to check stuff first.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 PM

Which one is the visor trick? And thanks ima check that out, I don't know if this works but first I thought it was the battery so I got a new one but that didn't fix it, so one time I was trying to unplug the positive cable from the battery while the car was on to check if it was my alternator and accidentally I touched the negative cable and the car just turned off and when I turned it back on the stereo and all that was working, so I know it's something from there, but of course that didn't fix the whole problem, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to DONROD Send a message via Yahoo to DONROD
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I had the same issue and mine was near the driver seat controls, one connection was loose and it made all that stop my steering wheel wouldnt go up and everything you described
Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
NEVER DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!!!! YOU CAN FRY THE ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS!!!

The "visor trick" is to turn on the passenger visor light when you observe the symptoms. If all gets well, it's likely a worn out ignition switch.

Otherwise, the problem could be in the general module, as doru says.

Might check the seat connector, as DONROD suggests.

Finally, the battery voltage s/b 12.5+ after setting overnight, and 14+ when the engine is running.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM

Ok got that! And ya I tried that before and nothing happens, I checked the cables of the seat controls and everything seems to be okay? when the steering controls first stopped working I would turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and they would work like that but now it doesn't and the stereo and all that don't work at all either. My battery has 7v when the car is off and it goes up to 12 when it's on.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM

I think that's your problem. 7V is a dead battery.
Case closed.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM

Exactly but what's killing my battery tho? Itz new and the alternator works, and well that doesn't explain the electric problems.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
There must be a constant drain on the battery. One thing that causes that is the FSU (final stage unit). Are you having any issues with the HVAC system?

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM

Well I haven't used the ac in a while but it was working good, the heater tho its not working like it used to, the air doesn't come as hot as it used to.?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Sounds like it may be your ignition switch.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisMediano View Post
Well I haven't used the ac in a while but it was working good, the heater tho its not working like it used to, the air doesn't come as hot as it used to.?

If the FSU is toast, it doesn't matter if you use or not A/C or heat. The darn thing will make an electrical contact that is NOT planned by you when you're NOT in the car, ie. overnight.
Air not coming hot as it used to points to either a heater valve that starts failing, but more commonly air bubble in the cooling system - which would worry me the most, because one way of ending up with an air bubble, is by loosing some coolant, hence a leak, hence sh*t to happen.