Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328i
eccentric shaft sensor question

A question before i order these parts. Have been having issues with our 07 328i not starting, only on cold starts. once you get it started its fine the rest of the day. Took it to bmw they diagnosed it as eccentric shaft sensor. Wanted ab 2 grand to do it but i would prefer to do it myself so was wondering if this diagnoses sounded right for the problem im having.
Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 AM
jertronic

Mein Auto: 2008 328 xi sedan
My 2008 328xi threw a code which caused the SES light to illuminate. The diagnosis was a bad eccentric shaft sensor. The dealer replaced the sensor under a goodwill warranty exception. I bought my vehicle new at this dealership and the new vehicle warranty had just expired fairly recently. I think my SA listed a price of around $1800 for the repair.

The symptoms that I noticed were periodic rough idle and occasional power loss at low RPM.

The tech who did the repair messed up the valve cover gasket instal upon putting the valve cover back on. The car was back at the dealer within 36 hours for a redo of the VCG job, free of charge obviously.

The result was a noticeable increase in low RPM power and smoothness.

Good luck with the repair and post updates to your outcome.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E91 328i Sport
How did you get your repair goodwill? I have an 07 328i with 80,900 miles that needs a new eccentric sensor... my CPO warranty expired 20 days ago
Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbump14 View Post
A question before i order these parts. Have been having issues with our 07 328i not starting, only on cold starts. once you get it started its fine the rest of the day. Took it to bmw they diagnosed it as eccentric shaft sensor. Wanted ab 2 grand to do it but i would prefer to do it myself so was wondering if this diagnoses sounded right for the problem im having.
Thanks

How's this, for the [$400] cost o'parts: Eccentric Shaft Sensor DIY Replacement

Hey, get jiggy with it....do NOT forget the new valve cover gasket!

Name:  Mechanic.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-08-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Coupe MT
Just had mine replaced few days ago due to same problems.
Is this going to be a common reoccurring issue? If it's gonna be $1,800 each fix, extended warranty might be worth it.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320i 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbump14 View Post
Thanks
I've been having similar problems with cold starts. It's very variable. Sometimes the car will start fine for a week and then there is just no way to get it started in the morning. It's been to the shop 4 times, towed twice and no fault codes appear.
Once the car is running, It goes smoothly for the rest of the day. The next morning can be a nightmare though.
Did you change the eccentric valve sensor? Was that the solution? Over a year ago, my car overheated and there was some oil spill so I thought that maybe it has some oil on the sensor. Does that make sense?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescob View Post
I've been having similar problems with cold starts. It's very variable. Sometimes the car will start fine for a week and then there is just no way to get it started in the morning. It's been to the shop 4 times, towed twice and no fault codes appear.
Once the car is running, It goes smoothly for the rest of the day. The next morning can be a nightmare though.
Did you change the eccentric valve sensor? Was that the solution? Over a year ago, my car overheated and there was some oil spill so I thought that maybe it has some oil on the sensor. Does that make sense?

Read link in Post #4