Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 750I
Extended warrant

I received a form letter today from My BMW dealership advising me that my warranty had expired and would I care to buy an extended BMW warranty. I am a little nervous about not having some coverage on my 7 series so I gave them a call. They recommended a Premium Care Policy which hey said duplicated the original BMW new car warranty. I only have 42K miles and drive few miles annually so I was recommended the 4 year or 48K/miles plan. It has a $100 deductible, the cost of this policy was $6,669.00. I asked if there was a cap on the policy and was told "Yes, a cap is determined by calculation of the original sale price and the current market value"
I then asked if the policy was administered by BMW, the answer was no, it is a policy from ... Century/Fidelity (I think those were the names mentioned). Does anyone have an opinion on the quality of this policy and the asking price. The rep told me that Florida does not allow tem to discount insurance costs....thanks for any assistance
Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
7k for 4 years? Ouch.. Doesn't seem like a good deal to me.. but what do I know.. I work on my own stuff, so if someone gave me $7k and said that was all I could spend in the next 4 years to fix my car I wouldn't see a problem at all..
Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 750
Definitely do not get that one. I am not even sure why a BMW dealer would try to sell you that considering you have only 42k. Get the BMW extended warranty which is administered by BMW and its cheaper and it covers the NAV and logic 7 providing you have under 45k. Check the link below.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx

http://content.bmwusa.com/microsite/...P_brochure.pdf
Old 01-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Thanx for the heads up, I am surprised my dealership did not suggest this plan. I wonder if it is not available in Florida. I will call tomorrow for more info. thanx again.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
FIDELITY IS AMAZING!!!!! BUY THAT NOW!!!!!

I paid just shy of 10K for my 760 for their PLATNIUM coverage and it has paid itself nearly 5 times over! They have paid out 46,000 dollars plus so far and haven't given me much of an issue. I bought the policy with the 100 dollar deductible.

They replaced the valley pan seal (The weephole leak), replaced my water-pump, fixed my trunk hydaulics, replaced the navi drive, replaced my transmission and all those related repairs, my self leveling rear suspension, and MUCH MUCH MORE! They did ALL OF THIS without me having to get involved.

EDIT: they have replaced 1 subwoofer, 2 amplifiers and 2 ASK units as well!

The way they work is pretty great! You take your car to the dealer/service center and the tech's give a diagnosis. Fidelity sends out an inspector (who is a certified mechanic) who verifies the diagnosis (IE with error codes, BMW procedure, etc) and then approves the repair. Then they send the approval to fidelity and they pay the dealer directly. All of this also includes a LOANER car for as long as the repair takes! I have had to get a ****ty enterprise loaner twice but every other time the dealer has given me a BMW rental car and billed the warranty company for it and they have paid every single time.

I would buy a warranty again from them in a heartbeat and for my cars in the future.

Last edited by csmeance; 01-08-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM

If I bought a 760i I think I would buy the warranty too.. You got lucky needing the transmission.. That and the wheephole job is probably most of the work, but unless there is ALOT more, I don't see 45k worth of work there.. 45k worth of work on any car is pretty bad!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
If I bought a 760i I think I would buy the warranty too.. You got lucky needing the transmission.. That and the wheephole job is probably most of the work, but unless there is ALOT more, I don't see 45k worth of work there.. 45k worth of work on any car is pretty bad!
Trans Replacement & Loaner Car ->14K
Weep Hole Repair & Loaner Car -> 10K
Nav Screen Replacement & Loaner Car -> 5K
Nav Drive Replacement, DVD changer replacement, Video Module and Trunk Hydraulics (leak caused all the electronics to malfunction -> 7K

^ thats 36K worth of repairs right there. Add in all the misc transmission repairs I've had, the Audio system repairs, self leveling suspension, fuel tank sensors, etc and you get the rest.

Plus if the HPFP fail, I'm covered and the warranty company will pay 6-7K for a repar and loaner car.

As far s the transmission goes, it started shifting rough around 45K and then started going downhill. They replaced the guibo joint, a couple of sensors, the sealing sleeve, the urban trans update, replaced the pan and fluid, etc. Finally one day at around 70K miles while in bumper to bumper traffic it gave out. The trans would NOT move the car at all and would shift into neutral. Restarted the car and managed to pull into a parking lot and then as I pulled into the space it put itself into neutral. Had it towed to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong and the car drove PERFECTLY. I got it back and 2 weeks later the same happened. I recorded a video of it and gave it to my service advisor when I got the car towed again. The dealership replaced a pressure sensor that COULD have been the issue (warranty covered this and the prior event), and I took the car back. 1 week later I'm stuck in traffic going up a slight hill. Well as soon as it starts moving I press the gas pedal and the car shudders and then moves. As soon as I get to around 20 MPH I hear this GOD AWFUL grinding sounds and then the car starts slowing down. Then when I'm at around 10MPH, the car threw itself INTO PARK and came to a GRINDING halt. Had the car towed to dealer where the warranty company & dealer decided to stop the band-aid fixes and to replace the whole transmission.

I'm thinking mine failed a lot sooner than most of the 745/750 guys because of the added HP and Torque. After all it's the same transmission as those guys.

Last edited by csmeance; 01-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
Trans Replacement & Loaner Car ->14K
Weep Hole Repair & Loaner Car -> 10K
Nav Screen Replacement & Loaner Car -> 5K
Nav Drive Replacement, DVD changer replacement, Video Module and Trunk Hydraulics (leak caused all the electronics to malfunction -> 7K

^ thats 36K worth of repairs right there. Add in all the misc transmission repairs I've had, the Audio system repairs, self leveling suspension, fuel tank sensors, etc and you get the rest.

Plus if the HPFP fail, I'm covered and the warranty company will pay 6-7K for a repar and loaner car.

As far s the transmission goes, it started shifting rough around 45K and then started going downhill. They replaced the guibo joint, a couple of sensors, the sealing sleeve, the urban trans update, replaced the pan and fluid, etc. Finally one day at around 70K miles while in bumper to bumper traffic it gave out. The trans would NOT move the car at all and would shift into neutral. Restarted the car and managed to pull into a parking lot and then as I pulled into the space it put itself into neutral. Had it towed to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong and the car drove PERFECTLY. I got it back and 2 weeks later the same happened. I recorded a video of it and gave it to my service advisor when I got the car towed again. The dealership replaced a pressure sensor that COULD have been the issue (warranty covered this and the prior event), and I took the car back. 1 week later I'm stuck in traffic going up a slight hill. Well as soon as it starts moving I press the gas pedal and the car shudders and then moves. As soon as I get to around 20 MPH I hear this GOD AWFUL grinding sounds and then the car starts slowing down. Then when I'm at around 10MPH, the car threw itself INTO PARK and came to a GRINDING halt. Had the car towed to dealer where the warranty company & dealer decided to stop the band-aid fixes and to replace the whole transmission.

I'm thinking mine failed a lot sooner than most of the 745/750 guys because of the added HP and Torque. After all it's the same transmission as those guys.
Well I guess we have to factor in the huge inflation from the dealer. That is their price, and they probably do it for the insurance company for half that.. But for your car it is absolutely a savior huh?

I have a buddy who owns a very good MB shop.. guy had his trans computer go bad and started messing with shifting.. he kept driving it which wasted the clutch packs and ruined the trans. They had to replace the trans, and once all that was done and good, then they had to diagnose the actual issue and replace the trans computer.. If he would have just stopped it would have been a couple hundred dollars from the junk yard, or even a grand from the parts counter, but now he's in the multi-thousands.. I just don't get people and what they do to their cars.. I was in there one day and this nice new MB V8 coupe was in there and the motor sounded like rocks in a dryer.. I said what happened? Owner noticed car was overheating and drove it some 40 minutes back to town and ruined the motor..

The last time I had a break down out of town I did two things.. after pulling over right away. First find the local hotel/motel second start asking around if small town had a good German mechanic.. luckily they did, I spent two days in a motel room in a small town but I didn't blow my car up! For some people these warranties are a must.. In all honesty if I could afford to spend that kind of money on a warranty and not have it "hurt" I would.. but for now, the car is paid for, and I get good prices on parts so I do the work myself..
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Well I guess we have to factor in the huge inflation from the dealer. That is their price, and they probably do it for the insurance company for half that.. But for your car it is absolutely a savior huh?

I have a buddy who owns a very good MB shop.. guy had his trans computer go bad and started messing with shifting.. he kept driving it which wasted the clutch packs and ruined the trans. They had to replace the trans, and once all that was done and good, then they had to diagnose the actual issue and replace the trans computer.. If he would have just stopped it would have been a couple hundred dollars from the junk yard, or even a grand from the parts counter, but now he's in the multi-thousands.. I just don't get people and what they do to their cars.. I was in there one day and this nice new MB V8 coupe was in there and the motor sounded like rocks in a dryer.. I said what happened? Owner noticed car was overheating and drove it some 40 minutes back to town and ruined the motor..

The last time I had a break down out of town I did two things.. after pulling over right away. First find the local hotel/motel second start asking around if small town had a good German mechanic.. luckily they did, I spent two days in a motel room in a small town but I didn't blow my car up! For some people these warranties are a must.. In all honesty if I could afford to spend that kind of money on a warranty and not have it "hurt" I would.. but for now, the car is paid for, and I get good prices on parts so I do the work myself..
You are right, that is the price I would have paid including a loaner car. The warranty company on the other hand pays reduced labor cost (75-95 dollars an Hr vs. the 125 I would pay). As well they can negotiate on parts. For example my nav screen was out of stock in my area so the warranty company ordered one from California BMW dealership and provided it to the dealership. My dealership wanted around 4K for the navi screen with their markup. The warranty company paid $3,300 for it from the one in california including shipping.

To answer your question, yes it is a savior and the only reason I still own my car. The Day it expires or before it expires I'm going to sell the car. I've saved 36 thousand dollars while owning my car on repairs.

I work on my other cars regularly and have replaced a timing belt and installed a supercharger myself so I know my way around cars. However a simple mistake on these cars can cost THOUSANDs to fix and plus most of the electronics require programming and can become bricked while programming. I rather leave that to someone else in the event something goes wrong rather than have to shell out 3-4K replacing modules that were bricked during programming. Plus I haven't had to pay for all the Logic 7 repairs and electronics that I couldn't have repaired myself.

The town that all of this happened in didn't have any sort of shoulder to pull onto, just a sidewalk and the road is 1 lane each way. The parking lot was about 300 feet away so I just pulled into it. I carefully drove my car in and had it towed 150 miles to the dealership that has 760 specialized technicians and whose familiar with my car. I've seen the same thing at BMW, MB, etc. Some folks are VERY stupid and are far from mechanically inclined. Someone I know didn't even realize that they had a blowout for 30 miles until a police officer pulled them over. People are stupid in general, the only thing we can do is educate ourself and 1. avoid them or 2. help them. I'm of the latter opinion and that's why I post my experiences here.

If you want to work on your car, go for it! The community is here to help with that, esp members like Kief! However for some who can't afford to spend 2-3 days fixing their car, this warranty is great. I can sit in my office and browse bimmerfest at my leisure while working or I can spend that free time at home doing things with my family. Others can take their loaner car and go to work like normal! Was the 10K a large investment 3 years ago, you bet it was. However it's one that paid off and I have profited from, not only in a monetary sense but as well with my family. While my car's in the shop I can continue to enjoy with my family, play catch, go to the park, etc.

As the saying goes in vegas, I'm playing with the house's money now!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
You are right, that is the price I would have paid including a loaner car. The warranty company on the other hand pays reduced labor cost (75-95 dollars an Hr vs. the 125 I would pay). As well they can negotiate on parts. For example my nav screen was out of stock in my area so the warranty company ordered one from California BMW dealership and provided it to the dealership. My dealership wanted around 4K for the navi screen with their markup. The warranty company paid $3,300 for it from the one in california including shipping.

To answer your question, yes it is a savior and the only reason I still own my car. The Day it expires or before it expires I'm going to sell the car. I've saved 36 thousand dollars while owning my car on repairs.

I work on my other cars regularly and have replaced a timing belt and installed a supercharger myself so I know my way around cars. However a simple mistake on these cars can cost THOUSANDs to fix and plus most of the electronics require programming and can become bricked while programming. I rather leave that to someone else in the event something goes wrong rather than have to shell out 3-4K replacing modules that were bricked during programming. Plus I haven't had to pay for all the Logic 7 repairs and electronics that I couldn't have repaired myself.

The town that all of this happened in didn't have any sort of shoulder to pull onto, just a sidewalk and the road is 1 lane each way. The parking lot was about 300 feet away so I just pulled into it. I carefully drove my car in and had it towed 150 miles to the dealership that has 760 specialized technicians and whose familiar with my car. I've seen the same thing at BMW, MB, etc. Some folks are VERY stupid and are far from mechanically inclined. Someone I know didn't even realize that they had a blowout for 30 miles until a police officer pulled them over. People are stupid in general, the only thing we can do is educate ourself and 1. avoid them or 2. help them. I'm of the latter opinion and that's why I post my experiences here.

If you want to work on your car, go for it! The community is here to help with that, esp members like Kief! However for some who can't afford to spend 2-3 days fixing their car, this warranty is great. I can sit in my office and browse bimmerfest at my leisure while working or I can spend that free time at home doing things with my family. Others can take their loaner car and go to work like normal! Was the 10K a large investment 3 years ago, you bet it was. However it's one that paid off and I have profited from, not only in a monetary sense but as well with my family. While my car's in the shop I can continue to enjoy with my family, play catch, go to the park, etc.

As the saying goes in vegas, I'm playing with the house's money now!
You certainly are! I love hearing these stories! The reason is because so many people buy these warranties and never use them, or hardly use them.. it's great when they get used like this.. I have to wonder if these companies see an E65 come along and cringe.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
For comparison, I bought a 100k/8 years 3rd party ext warranty for $3000 when I bought my 750i used at 5000 miles when it was a year old. It has a $200 deductible. The company is Prizm Total Protection Plan and coverage is Supreme which is bumper to bumper excluding consumables. So far they paid about $8+k of repairs in year 6 and 7. On one occasion they sent in an inspector who did not approve two repairs when dealer couldn't reproduce the faults. They paid the next time without inspecting when I brought in for the same issues. They seem reasonable except for one repair they refused to pay for an axle when the bearing is stuck to the axle. They only paid for the bearing since dealer say the axle seem OK and it was the bearing that failed. I end up splitting the axle with the dealer.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanx for all the feedback, I am starting to evaluate the responses ... BMW told me that they have nothing to offer and that I should contact my dealership for suggestions of companies offering used car policies. So that has taken BMW out of the equation.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Maintainin'

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
I just purchased the same warranty for mine 48 months/50,000 miles for $5621. I haven't used it yet but I plan to later this month as I need a new ARS Module, TCU, and Battery. I do know they don't cover wear and tear items such as brakes, wipers, and I guess fluid changes. They are expensive and I had to do a bit of negotiating asking a bunch of questions acting like I will back out and they dropped the price from what they were originally offering. I can't remember what that price was, I am actually thinking of buying another from them for my wife's E60 because they have a good rep and makes things simple as you just need to take the car to the any BMW dealer to get work done.

Last edited by gmcclintock; 01-10-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 AM

Whose policy did you sign up with? I did a little research on Endurance and they seem to have some bad press.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Someone suggested Costco as a possible lead for a warranty so I dropped them a line. I got a call today with some info, they use JM&A of Deerfield Fla, its an exclusionary policy and the exclusions are what one would expect, service items, bulbs, bodywork etc. The rest is bumper to bumper. I was quoted (they are only offering one policy for my needs an this is their very best policy). 4 years/48k with $100 deduct, $8,616, $250 deduct, $6551, $50 deduct, $5157. They also have a 3yr/36K which is $6458, $4977, $3973 for the similar deducts.

Does anyone have feedback on JM&A.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Yup.

Mein Auto: Cars
My warranty paid for itself 5 times over as well, before I even hit 80k miles - but then again, on a B7. So for the 760's and B7's, the warranty is an ABSOLUTE no-brainer - but on the 750's, I'd say it is worth the piece of mind at maybe 4-5k max.

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

PAST: ALPINA B7, e63, e39, e39, e36
Old 01-11-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750LI
I have Fidelity and they just turned down replacing my L7 amp and my trunk hydraulics. They said it must completely fail before they replaced it. The trunk will not stay up if on an incline but on level ground it is ok. The other day I was on a 45 mile commute and I stopped for gas. When I got back on the hwy I noticed I had no sound from the sub-woofers. I pulled over, shut the car off, and everything came back on. I guess since it was working when the inspector came out he denied that as well. I have to find my paperwork because I think my extended warranty covered the battery but my SA said they didn't. Little upset Fidelity didn't fix these things.

2006 750Li ( Current)

Past Models Owned
2004 745i
2001 750il
1998 540i
1996 540i M-sport
1995 530i
1988 M3
Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Maintainin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffles999 View Post
Whose policy did you sign up with? I did a little research on Endurance and they seem to have some bad press.
If this was meant for me I got the from Auto Assure, LLC. I received the letter from BMW called them and got the warranty.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Maintainin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokus View Post
I have Fidelity and they just turned down replacing my L7 amp and my trunk hydraulics. They said it must completely fail before they replaced it. The trunk will not stay up if on an incline but on level ground it is ok. The other day I was on a 45 mile commute and I stopped for gas. When I got back on the hwy I noticed I had no sound from the sub-woofers. I pulled over, shut the car off, and everything came back on. I guess since it was working when the inspector came out he denied that as well. I have to find my paperwork because I think my extended warranty covered the battery but my SA said they didn't. Little upset Fidelity didn't fix these things.
So your warranty covered the battery? I'm asking because my battery is on its last leg and was wondering if I should buy a battery or take it to the dealer to get it replaced.

Does extended warranty cover that?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 PM

thanx gmc. Its tough trying to sort out which policy to buy. The big surprise for me was finding that my BMW dealer was offering the same premium policy as Costco but for a couple of thousand less? It looks like the exact policy, same company same deductible. I have told Costco rep to sharpen his pencil if he wants my business
Old 01-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Maintainin'

Quote:
thanx gmc. Its tough trying to sort out which policy to buy. The big surprise for me was finding that my BMW dealer was offering the same premium policy as Costco but for a couple of thousand less? It looks like the exact policy, same company same deductible. I have told Costco rep to sharpen his pencil if he wants my business
LOL, I tell them things like "I'm not even planning on keeping the car that long" and "well I'm not sure" thats how I got them to take about 1k off of it. I hope you get a good deal man, I'm pretty happy with my purchase even though its a bit expensive compared to others on here who got an extended warranty and I hope you will to. I hope they budge since your car has less miles than mine I have about 89k on mine which is when things start breaking lol.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokus View Post
If you can put the car on an incline at the dealership (your SA should be able to do this) and repeat it in front of the inspector then it will be replaced. The same goes with your amplifier. If your subs aren't working and then when the inspector sees that they are working, they won't pay to fix something that is working!

Quote:
I bought my warranty without a worry since my dealer sold it and my SA told me of the good experiences. I'd HONESTLY talk to your Service Advisor and ask him/her how much work it's been working with the prospective companies and how much of "pulling teeth" that he has gone through.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 AM

Half of me is saying buy a warranty and the other half is saying .. nah put that money in the bank and pay for repairs. My doctor is saying ..hey man you're in your 70's do you really think you've got another 4 years? Take a look at yourself! LOL
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750 Li
Search on my screen name and you will find a thread about warranty shopping, and how it worked out. I ended up going w carchex and they have been great so far!
1956 Ford Sunliner Convt - His idea
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Maintainin'

Quote:
Half of me is saying buy a warranty and the other half is saying .. nah put that money in the bank and pay for repairs. My doctor is saying ..hey man you're in your 70's do you really think you've got another 4 years? Take a look at yourself! LOL
Since you car isn't high mileage I would consider having reserve funds for maintenance however with access to that money the possibility of spending it is great and might not be a good idea.