Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
The problem was resolved in late 08 with a revised mechatronic unit:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=24&fg=15

Virtually all 07 report some issues (a few long time members have not had issues). The problem is less prevalent in 2008 although there are issues still reported.

It's rare in 09 and 10. Most reports in 2009 where solved with software updates.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
The problem was resolved in late 08 with a revised mechatronic unit:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=24&fg=15

Virtually all 07 report some issues (a few long time members have not had issues). The problem is less prevalent in 2008 although there are issues still reported.

It's rare in 09 and 10. Most reports in 2009 where solved with software updates.
Does that mean the 07 model for example could be fixed by replacing the original mechatronic unit (i have no idea what this is obviously) with this newer revised version?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 PM

Logic would say yes but I don't know.

Automatics by there nature are complicated beasts. Just changing this unit would be like performing brain surgery. All I would say is...enjoy...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLE39 View Post
What about the newer X3's, like 09's and '10's + do they have these issues?
Try driving an X3 of those years and then a 3 series sedan in the same years...if you can.

You can feel it for yourself!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
Try driving an X3 of those years and then a 3 series sedan in the same years...if you can.

You can feel it for yourself!

While I agree on 07/08...I disagree on 09 above (not necessarily all though).

Mine drives like all other 1,3 or 5 series with the 6l50e trans that I have driven. Matter in fact I had an 08 128 vert with the same drive train and both my 09 x3 and 08 vert were flawless in the shifts. Both transmissions acted identically.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
I drove (IIRC) a 2010 325 at the dealer...shifted like butter.

My 2009 X3...not like butter. I don't get the hesitation from a stop as others have though.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM
jkz

Mein Auto: 2009 535i X Drive
Had my '07 in today and asked them to make sure the software is up to. They did update it and what a difference. I shifts much quicker & more precisely now. It doesn't hold onto gears as stubbornly as it used to for sure.

Time will tell but so far, it's a noticeable improvement.
1974 Bavaria (long ago retired... totaled by a 73 Chevy)
2005 X3 Sport, Premium, CW (wife's, totaled in a head on collision 2/16/2012)
2008 335Xi Coupe (returned at lease end)
2009 535i X Drive (replacement for the 335)
2007 X3 Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons (replaced wrecked '05)

Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Need help understanding the AT issue

Hi Everyone,

Completely new here and first post. I'll preface with the fact that yes, i'm a "soccer mom", and not repair lingo savy. however, i'm not car naive either. I've read through almost the entire thread (forgive me for skipping over a few, it's 65+ pages) and feel like i have a good bit of information. Here's my situation.
i currently have a 325 with 180K miles. I'm a road warrior and have had zero issues until recenlty, and i feel like it's started falling apart... so i think it's time to get rid of it and get into a new one (well, used).
I'm in the market for a 2007 x3. I saw two options, the first that i drove felt flawless, but to behonest i'm not a fan of the silver w/ black interior. superficial, i know. The 2nd one, that i LOVE (white/beige) had all the bells and whistles, but made me hesitatnt during test drive. It had the exact sypmtoms mentioned here. i have a "heavy foot", and when i test drive, the first thing i do is check it's get up and go. (my 325 always feels powerful with quick acceleration). This one felt like it had some pauses- not upon intial acceleration, but a few seconds into it, and again on deceleration approaching a stop- both only at low speeds. I don't know if i'm explaining it right. my husband instantly said that feels like a transmission issue, and that it's not shifting/finding the gears properly. so i did a little search which lead me here.
I've asked the dealership to look into it for me, but am worried about all the run around people seem to have had. i specifically called back and mentioned the software updates and asked that they specifically look into that.
It seems like many people have had resolution with the softward updates (if this is it), but i haven't seen too many recent posts. I'm concerned that if this IS the issue, and they are able to update it and i test drive again and it feels OK, that it will come back.
does anyone have anymore recent updates on theirs?
my husband is pushing the one that drives "cleaner", but i just can't commit to it...
Either way I'll have them checked out by my own mechanic (BMW shop), but you guys seem to know so much on this forum that i'm reaching out here too!
I also had a question that may be naive...you all said this applies to the GM6s. are there any 07's that AREN'T the GM6? how can i tell? concerned the sivler one that drives nice now could also have the problem in the future... Thanks so much!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Just had a complete software update to my 07... What a difference! Car shifts better and the turning downshift hesitation is gone. I'm also getting measurably better gas mileage. Oh, and the head unit now remembers at it has an AUX function.

The update was well worth the $200 charge from my independent. They just spent over $30k to update their BMW diagnostic system, so while it was a lot of money I understand.

Can't wait to dive it again, and to see what the average MPG is over a full tank.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
^ They updated your trans software as well ase DME?

2007 3.0si and experiencing same turning downshift hesitation and hesitation on gentle starts thru first 2 gear changes.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Latest software upgrade really helped. There were something like 30 different systems that they updated.

Damned new logic for the intermittent wipers is not an improvement, but does show how much changed.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 AM

Mein Auto: x3 3.0d
Slight Rumble in 1st gear

Hi all,

First post, so here goes,

I have a 2006 X3 3.0d, with 56k on the clock, I have recently noticed a faint rumbling, or 2 or three light thunks when gently pulling away, once in 2nd no sounds or problems. The car has been well looked after, and serviced. This noise only becomes noticable after 2 or three miles from cold. It also rumbles a bit when slowing down gently from about 10mph.

my question is, Does this indicate a mechanical gearbox problem, or something that could be caused by thin transmission oil, in the transfer box, what are the symptoms of a bmw requiring a transfer box oil change. or could it be something else ?

Many thanks, and a great source of information,
Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x3 2.5
Hi does anyone have an update on the BMW software fix at this stage. I have the same issue with a 2007 model with only 66,000 Kms. Just donated $600 to my dealer with no improvement!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM

I've just had a full service and tc software reset, but still same, I wonder if it is that.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 AM

Sapper, your issue does sound mechanical, sadly

My X3 has been driving a bit better lately, so I am reluctant to plunk down $ at the dealer or the not-so-local indy shop that has Autologic.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 AM

2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper71 View Post
I've just had a full service and tc software reset, but still same, I wonder if it is that.
tc software reset = transfer case software rest not transmission.

My bet is your full service include xfer case fluid change and they then needed to hook up the gt1 scanner to reset the tc clutch pack wear values for new fluid.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks for replys guys,

The garage didnt replace tc fluid just checked the level and reset to see if that would do it, I'm debating if a tc fluid change and new filter will sort out the problem, Ive spoken to bmw uk, and they suggest a tc fluid change at around 50-60k, as it thins out, and can cause transfer problems. But are they pitching for work,

Last edited by Sapper71; 05-01-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Yesterday I purchased a 2007 X3 3.0Si with 67,000 miles. The car is in pristine condition, reasonably well equipped but no Nav, it appears the single owner religiously had all the required services done, and we negotiated a more than fair price for it. I purchased the vehicle as a used car (no CPO of course) from a local Mazda dealer so it does not have any consequential warranty. My trusted mechanic checked the car and advised it is indeed in excellent condition and he found nothing requiring repair. He seemed surprised at how exceptionally clean it is. The only issue he found was some minor age related dry rot on the inside of the tires and warned me the battery will need to be replaced soon.

As soon as I can I am going to replace the tires and then immediately have the oil drained and replaced with Mobile 1 (it may already be a synthetic oil but I cannot confirm this and I am very anal about my machinery). I am also going to have the transmission fluid and transfer case fluids drained and replaced. Based on what I read so far I want to also verify it has all the latest software. So now my questions:

- I imagine there is more than one software/firmware package that might require updating (Transmission, Engine Control Computer, Climate Control, Bluetooth Interface, etc.). Exactly what do I tell the local BMW dealer to check?

- Is there any way to determine what the existing software/firmware versions are and what are the latest versions?

- What is a reasonable price to pay the BMW dealership to check and update the software/firmware?

There are two BMW dealers in my area (Brahman & Coggins). Brahman service has repeatedly proven to me to be much less than customer friendly so I would rather not have a BMW than use them. Coggins has treated me reasonably well but I think it is still very good practice to know exactly what is needed and what to expect when going to any dealership.

I have not even seen my "new" X3 yet as I am away and will not be returning home to Florida for another three weeks. When I do get home I will only be there for a short period so I want to get all my ducks lined up before then so I can take care of this stuff before I leave again.

Last edited by RhoXS; 05-22-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325I
How about an E90 w/GM trans?

I post on other forums and we can't find a cure for our '06 E90 and newer.

We get the dreaded jerking when coming to a complete stop when it downshifts 2nd to 1st in auto mode, not DS. Also hangs when it should be upshifting, and a little rough shifting overall, not like a BMer should be.

Will this S/W work on an E90 platform? Is it the same tranny?
Old 07-13-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBIRDE90 View Post
I post on other forums and we can't find a cure for our '06 E90 and newer.

We get the dreaded jerking when coming to a complete stop when it downshifts 2nd to 1st in auto mode, not DS. Also hangs when it should be upshifting, and a little rough shifting overall, not like a BMer should be.

Will this S/W work on an E90 platform? Is it the same tranny?
In X3 auto mode I think that the xdrive it used to slow the vehicle down as the downshifts occur and anything but gentle braking will have the transfer case transferring drive to the front wheels or rather engaging more of the front wheels torque / retardation back into the transmission and hence against engine compression to slow the vehicle and this may be the jerking. This is most vicious in the 2 down to 1 change but can be felt in the 3 to 2 change as well.
To validate this place the transmission in sport mode and brake from 4th gear down to a stop - let the gearbox change down. The transmission will not drop into 1st gear but check the retardation as the downshift occurs from 3 to 2 - not as aggressive or rather more actual brake pedal is required than if you are driving in normal auto mode. It is a subtle difference but I can notice it.
Not a fix but I am suggesting that it is not the AT but the AT and transfer case interaction that might be the issue. If so the DSC software is suspect IMO. (update required?)

The hang or dragging in a gear on upshifting was fixed for me by a software update. Mine used to hang or drag in first gear until 3500 before changing (I have 3 litre diesel and this was plain stupid). Now it upshifts on gentle driving at 2000 or less - much better. It was not the "ECU" that was updated (I know as I run a modified map and any such update would have scrubbed this) but the transmission. I still have overall issues though - Jekyl and Hyde gearbox - perfect one week horrible the next. You might wonder why I have stuck with the vehicle for so long - it is nice to drive - very fast - handle wonderfully for an SUV - but will be my last BMW for sure.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nvv
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I have 2007 X3 79K miles with AT. I got it CPO in 2009, so it's out of all the warranties now.
The transmission has started shifting roughly recently, especially downshifting. Also, while on Drive mode and stopped (on the traffic lights), the transmission is is kinda "shifting" back and force, and the RPMs are fluctuating. No lights are out.
What is it - software (I reprogrammed it twice back in 2009 under warranty - had no problems after that) or hardware (how much $$ should I expect?).
thx!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Is there a way to tell, without a visit to the dealer, what program currently exists on your car? I've got a week of vacation here and an '07 X3 with an increasingly clunky transmission, and I'd like to see if there's possibly a software fix that can be applied this week when I really don't NEED to drive the car.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufalo View Post
Is there a way to tell, without a visit to the dealer, what program currently exists on your car? I've got a week of vacation here and an '07 X3 with an increasingly clunky transmission, and I'd like to see if there's possibly a software fix that can be applied this week when I really don't NEED to drive the car.
Unless you have complete service records showing the last reprogram it would have to be read by a BMW service computer.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Anyone ever experience 'power loss' after update of Engine/Trans/TC software? 07 N52 X3 Auto. Car is dead slow now. Not an adaptive 'learning' thing, been 400 miles now. Need to get back to my indy shop to have them take another stab at it, but not sure if others have experienced anything like this?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:14 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
Anyone ever experience 'power loss' after update of Engine/Trans/TC software? 07 N52 X3 Auto. Car is dead slow now. Not an adaptive 'learning' thing, been 400 miles now. Need to get back to my indy shop to have them take another stab at it, but not sure if others have experienced anything like this?
Nope. I still have plenty of power. Perhaps they turned on the engine management safe mode, which kicks in when overheating etc?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!