Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 08-16-2011, 12:46 AM

Mein Auto: Was a BMW
My BMW experience--MUST READ

Hi all,
I hope this forum is appropriate for my post/experience.
Just so you all know, I was an avid BMW owner and driver prior to my last few months.
I feel it’s important that I give a background, so I may illustrate my loyalty to BMW, and it’s cars.
In 2006 I purchased a brand new 550i off the showroom floor, at the time I was 25 yrs old, and it was my first BMW. I feel in love with the car, immediately. I loved how the car handled; I loved the v-8 and the power it provided. I drove this car for 10 months and decided I wanted a 2007 M5. I obviously took a haircut on the sale, but I didn’t care, I wanted to step it up.
I eventually found the M5 I wanted, I threw down my down payment, and took her off the lot. Prior to leaving the lot, the sales rep explained the smg transmission to me, he went into detail how the smg functioned and how it should be driven.
NOW, fast forward a few months, and the problems started. At approximately 13,000 miles my car would lurch forward/reverse frequently whenever engaging “drive” or “reverse.”
The car was obviously under warranty, therefore, it was repaired and returned to me. The service tech told me that a hydraulic valve wasn’t working properly. I was happy with the service and I kept motoring.
At approximately 32,000 miles, while I was driving on the highway, my “transmission” sensor flashed, as did all my sensors, then I lost complete control of my car: the car lost all acceleration, power steering failed as did all electrical. Concurrently, a loud THUD occurred under my center console. I was able to steer the car to the right shoulder of the highway. I had the car towed to my dealership, and in for repair. The service dept explained that my fly wheel needed to be replaced, and a few other components within the car were also damaged. The car was in for service approximately 2 weeks. As I expected, my warranty covered all the repairs. At this point, I am becoming concerned with the frequency of issues I am having with this car. However, I am assured the car is repaired.
Fast forward again to 56,000 miles. Again, my smg components are damaged and the car needs to be repaired. I contact BMW-NA, they pull up the work history, and they decide to repair the car free of charge, because the issue with this repair is the same as the last repair at 32,000 miles. I was impressed with how BMW-NA stood behind their prior work, and this made me feel much better.
Fast forward again to 66,000 miles. Two months ago, I experienced a massive malfunction while on the highway with my family. I was driving at an approximate speed of 70mph’s when a LOUD BANG went off under my center console. All the wheels locked up and my car started to skid, after a 20-40 feet the wheels began to spin again, however, I had lost all control of the vehicle including: power steering, acceleration, and electrical. This experience was very scary, I felt as if I was in danger due to the possibility of being rear ended and involved in a major car accident. The car was essentially dead. I had the car towed to my dealer and I contacted BMW-NA. BMW-NA contacted the dealership where my car was sitting, BMW-NA asked the dealership for a diagnosis on the issue and repair. After BMW-NA got the information from my dealership, they contacted me and stated “We cannot repair your car due to the issue not being related to the past repairs.” To be honest, I was happy, because this meant that the repair would be somewhat affordable and it wasn’t the smg/transmission which would have been the 4th time! I contacted the service manager and asked him “what is the damage and what will it cost?” The service manger stated that he wouldn’t know the extent of the damage till he removes the smg box and takes a look at the transmission more thoroughly. At this point, I’m really surprised, because BMW-NA already told me that the problem wasn’t related to my smg or transmission. Before I contacted BMW-NA, I asked the service manager to detail the damage with an approximate cost of repair.
Within one week, I was contacted by the dealership service manager, he explained that the damage was EXTENSIVE. The bell housing, clutch assemply, RT CAT, and converter. Total estimated repair cost: 19,000.00 dollars. I contacted BMW-NA within 10 minutes and explained to the woman the damages. I explained to her, that all the damage is components they’ve repaired before and inspected. BMW-NA said that they would contact the dealership for clarification. At this point, I’m really confused, how could BMW-NA contacted me prior to understanding the exact cause of the issue, and prematurely telling me that they would not cover the repairs due to the present damage not being related to past repairs.
After a week of waiting for an answer from BMW-NA, I finally got a call. BMW-NA explained that they were going to escalate my claim to the “Marketing” department.
After a week, I did get a call from BMW-Corporate, she heard my story and understood the damage and past repair history on my car. She explained to me that a “Marketing” manger would look over my claim and deliver a final verdict. After waiting 2 weeks, I finally got the answer from the “Marketing” manager. The answer I got from the “Marketing” manager was just a bit better than being punched in the face while he picked my pocket. His “Final” decision was to offer me 2,500.00 dollars toward my repair. I obviously explained to his “Executive” secretary that I was really disappointed furthermore, I felt cheated. She was kind and actually listened to me with genuine concern; at least I felt she was empathetic. However, the apathy shown by the “Marketing” manager is something else. I explained to the executive secretary that I have been an amazing loyal customer to BMW, furthermore, I feel that the issue with the car is the same issues I’ve been having, but on a catastrophic scale. I explained to the secretary (I had to interface with her because, she explained that the “Marketing managers” don’t interface with customers) that I have spent close to 180,000 thousand dollars with BMW, and given the damage with this car, I feel that I should at least be given the benefit of the doubt, or an option to have the car bought back. She explained the decision was final, and that 2,500 dollars was the best they could do.
Listen, I do understand that every car manufacturer has a few “lemons” that come off the line. I understand this all to well, I also understand that MY CAR is the exception to the BMW rule. I know that BMW makes a hell of a car, however, again, my car is that exception.
This whole episode has helped me come to a few conclusions:
1. BMW obviously does not stand behind their work and they’re not going to make a customer happy, especially if it doesn’t make financial sense.
2. BMW will not admit an issue in a car, especially if the repair costs are HALF the estimated value of the car.
3. BMW will hide behind the so-called “Marketing” managers.
4. BMW will NOT stand behind their FLAGSHIP car.
5. BMW will blame the driver for the mechanical issues in a car that has recurring issues.
6. No matter how loyal or how much you have spent with BMW, if the bottom line of theirs is affected, BMW will NOT stand behind their product.
What I find most distressing, is that I have NEVER had any issues (besides the cigarette lighter breaking) with my car other than the issues stated above.
BMW, has chosen to blame me for the issues, this leaves me high and dry with a repair bill equaling an economy car cost, and full of stress.
I guess it’s true, the true colors of a company come to the surface when an issue arises. Unfortunately, BMW’s colors are few shades of green, only.
Please, do keep in mind, I do believe that BMW makes great cars 90-95 percent of the time, but the 5-10 percent of the time when they make an inferior car is when a company should be admired or scorned, during these times is when the integrity is tested.

BMW FAILED MISERABLY HERE. If anyone does care to know, I did secure an attorney, and I will be following through with a lawsuit. At this point, if BMW called and offered me a free repair, I would reject it. I have no time to deal with a company that treats it’s customers as I have been treated. Never, will I buy a BMW again nor will my family, and all my friends and acquaintances will hear of the treatment I received.
I do hope that BMW-NA and the “Marketing” manager reads my post. I truly hope that they can get an accurate pulse on THEIR CUSTOMERS. I feel that BMW-NA and it’s “Marketing” managers have lost touch of what customer satisfaction is and why they’re in business.
I hope this post helped anybody in my shoes or with concerns. I do suggest that if your car has any issues, while under warranty, ASK FOR A COMPLETE INSPECTION AND IF YOU HAVE A RECURRING ISSUE, ASK FOR A COMPLETE REPLACEMENT. Otherwise, BMW will not stand behind the repairs or product beyond the warranty.

If anyone has questions, i would be happy to answer them. However, some information may not be disclosed due to attorney instructions. If i have offended anybody, please accept my apology. The purpose of this post is not to offend anybody, the intent is to show my experience and the false sense of security I had for BMW.

Thank you
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Phew

Sorry to hear that

I am on the fence now... not sure if I stay with the brand
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Sheesh..
Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: '05 M3 ZCP; '06 530 XIT
if bmw NA didn't want to help you, you may have to talk to a lawyer, but it is a long shot.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: bmw m5
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerbmwowner View Post
hi all,
i hope this forum is appropriate for my post/experience.
Just so you all know, i was an avid bmw owner and driver prior to my last few months.
I feel it’s important that i give a background, so i may illustrate my loyalty to bmw, and it’s cars.
In 2006 i purchased a brand new 550i off the showroom floor, at the time i was 25 yrs old, and it was my first bmw. I feel in love with the car, immediately. I loved how the car handled; i loved the v-8 and the power it provided. I drove this car for 10 months and decided i wanted a 2007 m5. I obviously took a haircut on the sale, but i didn’t care, i wanted to step it up.
I eventually found the m5 i wanted, i threw down my down payment, and took her off the lot. Prior to leaving the lot, the sales rep explained the smg transmission to me, he went into detail how the smg functioned and how it should be driven.
Now, fast forward a few months, and the problems started. At approximately 13,000 miles my car would lurch forward/reverse frequently whenever engaging “drive” or “reverse.”
the car was obviously under warranty, therefore, it was repaired and returned to me. The service tech told me that a hydraulic valve wasn’t working properly. I was happy with the service and i kept motoring.
At approximately 32,000 miles, while i was driving on the highway, my “transmission” sensor flashed, as did all my sensors, then i lost complete control of my car: The car lost all acceleration, power steering failed as did all electrical. Concurrently, a loud thud occurred under my center console. I was able to steer the car to the right shoulder of the highway. I had the car towed to my dealership, and in for repair. The service dept explained that my fly wheel needed to be replaced, and a few other components within the car were also damaged. The car was in for service approximately 2 weeks. As i expected, my warranty covered all the repairs. At this point, i am becoming concerned with the frequency of issues i am having with this car. However, i am assured the car is repaired.
Fast forward again to 56,000 miles. Again, my smg components are damaged and the car needs to be repaired. I contact bmw-na, they pull up the work history, and they decide to repair the car free of charge, because the issue with this repair is the same as the last repair at 32,000 miles. I was impressed with how bmw-na stood behind their prior work, and this made me feel much better.
Fast forward again to 66,000 miles. Two months ago, i experienced a massive malfunction while on the highway with my family. I was driving at an approximate speed of 70mph’s when a loud bang went off under my center console. All the wheels locked up and my car started to skid, after a 20-40 feet the wheels began to spin again, however, i had lost all control of the vehicle including: Power steering, acceleration, and electrical. This experience was very scary, i felt as if i was in danger due to the possibility of being rear ended and involved in a major car accident. The car was essentially dead. I had the car towed to my dealer and i contacted bmw-na. Bmw-na contacted the dealership where my car was sitting, bmw-na asked the dealership for a diagnosis on the issue and repair. After bmw-na got the information from my dealership, they contacted me and stated “we cannot repair your car due to the issue not being related to the past repairs.” to be honest, i was happy, because this meant that the repair would be somewhat affordable and it wasn’t the smg/transmission which would have been the 4th time! I contacted the service manager and asked him “what is the damage and what will it cost?” the service manger stated that he wouldn’t know the extent of the damage till he removes the smg box and takes a look at the transmission more thoroughly. At this point, i’m really surprised, because bmw-na already told me that the problem wasn’t related to my smg or transmission. Before i contacted bmw-na, i asked the service manager to detail the damage with an approximate cost of repair.
Within one week, i was contacted by the dealership service manager, he explained that the damage was extensive. The bell housing, clutch assemply, rt cat, and converter. Total estimated repair cost: 19,000.00 dollars. I contacted bmw-na within 10 minutes and explained to the woman the damages. I explained to her, that all the damage is components they’ve repaired before and inspected. Bmw-na said that they would contact the dealership for clarification. At this point, i’m really confused, how could bmw-na contacted me prior to understanding the exact cause of the issue, and prematurely telling me that they would not cover the repairs due to the present damage not being related to past repairs.
After a week of waiting for an answer from bmw-na, i finally got a call. Bmw-na explained that they were going to escalate my claim to the “marketing” department.
After a week, i did get a call from bmw-corporate, she heard my story and understood the damage and past repair history on my car. She explained to me that a “marketing” manger would look over my claim and deliver a final verdict. After waiting 2 weeks, i finally got the answer from the “marketing” manager. The answer i got from the “marketing” manager was just a bit better than being punched in the face while he picked my pocket. His “final” decision was to offer me 2,500.00 dollars toward my repair. I obviously explained to his “executive” secretary that i was really disappointed furthermore, i felt cheated. She was kind and actually listened to me with genuine concern; at least i felt she was empathetic. However, the apathy shown by the “marketing” manager is something else. I explained to the executive secretary that i have been an amazing loyal customer to bmw, furthermore, i feel that the issue with the car is the same issues i’ve been having, but on a catastrophic scale. I explained to the secretary (i had to interface with her because, she explained that the “marketing managers” don’t interface with customers) that i have spent close to 180,000 thousand dollars with bmw, and given the damage with this car, i feel that i should at least be given the benefit of the doubt, or an option to have the car bought back. She explained the decision was final, and that 2,500 dollars was the best they could do.
Listen, i do understand that every car manufacturer has a few “lemons” that come off the line. I understand this all to well, i also understand that my car is the exception to the bmw rule. I know that bmw makes a hell of a car, however, again, my car is that exception.
This whole episode has helped me come to a few conclusions:
1. Bmw obviously does not stand behind their work and they’re not going to make a customer happy, especially if it doesn’t make financial sense.
2. Bmw will not admit an issue in a car, especially if the repair costs are half the estimated value of the car.
3. Bmw will hide behind the so-called “marketing” managers.
4. Bmw will not stand behind their flagship car.
5. Bmw will blame the driver for the mechanical issues in a car that has recurring issues.
6. No matter how loyal or how much you have spent with bmw, if the bottom line of theirs is affected, bmw will not stand behind their product.
What i find most distressing, is that i have never had any issues (besides the cigarette lighter breaking) with my car other than the issues stated above.
Bmw, has chosen to blame me for the issues, this leaves me high and dry with a repair bill equaling an economy car cost, and full of stress.
I guess it’s true, the true colors of a company come to the surface when an issue arises. Unfortunately, bmw’s colors are few shades of green, only.
Please, do keep in mind, i do believe that bmw makes great cars 90-95 percent of the time, but the 5-10 percent of the time when they make an inferior car is when a company should be admired or scorned, during these times is when the integrity is tested.

Bmw failed miserably here. If anyone does care to know, i did secure an attorney, and i will be following through with a lawsuit. At this point, if bmw called and offered me a free repair, i would reject it. I have no time to deal with a company that treats it’s customers as i have been treated. Never, will i buy a bmw again nor will my family, and all my friends and acquaintances will hear of the treatment i received.
I do hope that bmw-na and the “marketing” manager reads my post. I truly hope that they can get an accurate pulse on their customers. I feel that bmw-na and it’s “marketing” managers have lost touch of what customer satisfaction is and why they’re in business.
I hope this post helped anybody in my shoes or with concerns. I do suggest that if your car has any issues, while under warranty, ask for a complete inspection and if you have a recurring issue, ask for a complete replacement. Otherwise, bmw will not stand behind the repairs or product beyond the warranty.

If anyone has questions, i would be happy to answer them. However, some information may not be disclosed due to attorney instructions. If i have offended anybody, please accept my apology. The purpose of this post is not to offend anybody, the intent is to show my experience and the false sense of security i had for bmw.

Thank you
hi i was in the same situation and the dealership i bought it from will not take at fault, so i end up spending 4800 on my trans....it was bitch n now im tryna get the dealer to pay for it...have any suggestion....my attorney is building a case up.....btw i only had my car for 2 mo and it has 52k aint that a bitch.......
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M5
just bought a 2006 E60 yesterday...without warranty. 45K miles. I will be calling SOMEONE tomw to get a warranty on the vehicle. sorry to hear about your experiences. thank you for the post...but part of me wishes you hadnt posted it.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: M5
You think you've got problems, let me tell you. I got my m in Dec 2005 drove it one month and stored it for the winter. Took it out may and in June BMW had to replace the trans. Only took 6 weeks to get one. i now have 140k miles on it. Yes I drive a lot. I have had nothing but issues with this car and it just geets worse. I tried to get BMW Canada involved and have written several letters to the President. every letter was answered by a Customer service specialist who told me BMW's responsibility send at the end of the warranty period. About three months ago my video display lit up like a christmas tree. Every message relating to engine and a few more filled all the availabe space. After paying $4500 they told me that the catalytic converter had to be replaced. I have been vacilating about selling it so I told them I wasnt going to pay the $8000 to replace them. when i got the car back the engine light went cleared. I thought that they got a false reading. Well needless to say last week the christmas tree lit up again. took it in and they firat thought it was a run down battery becaseu of the readout. I drove it for almosst a week and was having difficulty geting pas t the min level. Turns out there is a recal on the battery cable insulated bulkhead connector and they replaced it. I know I cant sell the car becaseu some poor sucker will end up paying a fortune to get it back to normal. right now i am looking at an $8k repair bill for the cats or going 0 to 60 in 30 minutes. i hate this car, i hate BMW and I leave the car parked inmalls with the keys in it and engine running. No one is even interested in stealing the bloody thing. lol
Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: Z4MC
My 2006 M5 has been reliable, 60k+ miles including several track events with no transmission issue whatsoever.
I enjoy the steering feel and suspension tuning of BMW.
With the free maintenance , it cost me less to maintain this M5 than my Acura MDX which I have to pay for service (oil, differential, etc) every 7500 miles.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: M5
Damn OP sorry to hear about your issues but stuff like this is why I went after the Manual and not the SMG or any M5 before 2008 MY. I am sorry this happen to you. When I had my E39 M5 I had a run in with BMW of Fairfax and BMWNA. It did not end well needless to say I am truly a DIY guy now. I love BMW and plan on buy the next M5 but stories like this makes me want to leave them.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Stories like these make me wonder how much abuse was done to the car?
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Lucky to drive a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Stories like these make me wonder how much abuse was done to the car?
I was thinking the same thing anyonre can break a car by driving extra hard. And at 30k anything can happen. My 06 m5 is doing great,no problems 56k miles.