Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
california owners emissions

moving to CA with my 2005 300i ZHP. any issues, concerns, things I need to be aware of in regards to emissions standards?

im new to this crazy place they call california, its in the united states right?
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
They`ll check for the proper level of nitrogen in your tires....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Be careful, I hear the levels of smug from all the hybrid cars can make it difficult to see.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
California emissions are here:
- California smog emissions for BMW vehicles (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Last week, I had a long talk with Mike McCarthy (m+his-last-name@arb.ca.gov) about OBD codes in California.

Mike manages the CARB OBD program for California (626-771-3614).

He is a very knowledgeable guy who knows the entire history of FTP drive cycles, OBD test requrements, and smog test laws and regulations.

He provided more detail than I could handle (most of which went over my head), but, it's important to note that the legislature voted to allow OBD-only tests in California, but, the infrastructure won't be in place by January next year - and most likely won't be in place for a while.

Mike said 31 states do smog tests but California had to fight the EPA to do decentralized tests. The EPA wanted centralized tests - so California implemented the 'hybrid' system of 'test only' stations and 'test-and-repair stations' to meet the EPA requirements of centralization. For the past year, they have been rating smog test & smog test-and-repair stations, giving each a STAR rating.

Today, every two years you have to get a smog test at either a test-only station or at a test-and-repair station. But, he said, fraud is rampant, so they're going to mail you a note that requires you to go to a station with a high rating. The system isn't in place, but an example would be a five-star rating where in order to register, you can only go to a five-star rated test station. They are doing this to cut down on fraud.

Another thing he told me is that a California dyno smog test cycle is NOT the BMW FTP test, nor the federal FTP-75 test (details at http://dieselnet.com). It's a special shortened California-only version of the drive trace that works well on a dyno.

Mike also mentioned that it takes two cycles for a CEL to go on (first one gives the pending DTC); and it takes 3 complete drive cycles for the CEL to go out.

For more information, Mike suggested I contact smogcheck.ca.gov.

EDIT: For information on the OBD readiness monitors, I called the Department of Consumer affairs 800-952-5210 where you can actually talk to 'former mechanics' who are now 'technical advisors' or 'consumer assistance representatives' for the state of California who will discuss with you your smog test questions.

At the Department of Consumer Affairs, I spoke with "Marvin" who explained that, in California, a 1996 to 2000 vehicle can pass smog with 2 monitors not ready but that a 2001 to current vehicle can have only 1 monitor not ready and still pass smog tests. He said many technicians still fail the car because they want to have high STAR scores.

In addition, Marvin said that new OBD tests will check your air conditioning because they assume if your ac isn't working that you're leaking freon into the atmosphere just like they check your fuel system, again assuming vapors will leak out into the atmosphere. So it's not just engine emissions that are being monitored.

Here's mine, for example:
Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
Be careful, I hear the levels of smug from all the hybrid cars can make it difficult to see.
I just spit my tea all over my computer screen laughing.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Smog

My experience with California smog is that if you keep your car reasonably maintained, it's tough to fail. The maximum allowable values are high enough to never hit on a healthy BMW engine. So unless you have a CEL that you've been ignoring for the last couple years, I think you'll be ok. Every other year only.

If the place is legit, it will go through visual inspections and the sniffer. Every shop will try to "negotiate" the price higher for the test, but if you pay under $40 out the door I think you've done ok.

Here's my last two tests for the 325 for reference on what to expect. Click for a bigger image.

2010 :
BMW Smog 2010

2012:
BMW Smog 2012

Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 AM
John Voight's BMW

Cool, thx.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Quietly Learning E46

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
moving to CA with my 2005 300i ZHP.
I have family and friends looking to leave or have left CA...

Why on earth would anyone want to moved there
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Welcome to Cali. What part are you moving to?. And the emissions isn't as bad as people say it is. I pass just fine... yup....
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Welcome to Cali. What part are you moving to?. And the emissions isn't as bad as people say it is. I pass just fine... yup....
northern, far east bay. talking to my brother in law who lives in sacramento county, they have a rule during the winter that you can only wash your car before 10am and after 7pm on saturday or sunday! thats a sin, period!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
northern, far east bay. talking to my brother in law who lives in sacramento county, they have a rule during the winter that you can only wash your car before 10am and after 7pm on saturday or sunday! thats a sin, period!
wth?. Lol well I live in LA county and in the city of Malibu and we have nothing like that. Your moving to the nicer part of Cali to be honest. Northern Cali is A LOT more taken care of than southern.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_kid View Post
I have family and friends looking to leave or have left CA...

Why on earth would anyone want to moved there
Because it's January 8th and you can wear shorts and flip-flops because it's 70 degrees and sunny.

Checked the weather in Wisconsin and, well, i'm thinking you might need some warmer clothes than that this time of year.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

Last edited by jvr826; 01-08-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:30 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Check out this stuff, it is awesome: http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html I sometimes wash my car in the garage using 1 bucket of water with a bit of ONR when this is more convenient for me than washing outside.

I am in Eastern Alameda county and there are no water use restrictions. I am not aware of any in Contra Costa county either.

edit: and my car passed smog with a Shark injector. If you've got headers or a blower, passing smog will be a problem. Otherwise, probably not.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Because it's January 8th and you can wear shorts and flip-flops because it's 70 degrees and sunny.

Checked the weather in Wisconsin and, well, i'm thinking you might need some warmer clothes than that this time of year.
yeah, i am moving from Minneapolis. well aware! had flip flops on yesterday!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Quietly Learning E46

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:

Yep! I hear ya on that...

Still managed to have 3-4 months of snowmobiling and sledding... fun I tell ya.
And wear flip-flops and shorts the rest of the year too.

Gotta love the four seasons.
Oh yeah, and no smog test to worry about.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
love SC. best of both worlds. no hippies and commies to deal with either. plus cheapest gas in the country.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:

im new to this crazy place they call california, its in the united states right?
Barely.

Are you sure you know what you are doing.
When you get a job, they take your whole salary for taxes.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:58 AM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Barely.

Are you sure you know what you are doing.
When you get a job, they take your whole salary for taxes.
not to turn this into a bitching match, but you're overall tax burden living in NY is higher than CA if you own a home. if you don't own a home, CA has one of the highest tax burdens in the U.S.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Welcome to CA! Great choice on NorCal.

I have a friend who owns and runs a smog only test center and also owns an E46 M3, he's said no probs on smog with BMWs. I have the same exact 2005 330i ZHP that passed smog at his place last year without issues. Your troublespots will be bad O2 sensors or cats and CEL lights that hasn't had 200-500 miles to clear. Of course these troublespots apply to all cars not just BMW.

Your only probs if you commute from the East Bay to South Bay, are Priuses (we tend to have the most Eco righteous of them all here, loving to force slowness to all via hypermiling in all lanes), inconsiderate left most lane drivers and randomly beat up flying articles on the freeways. Happy commuting otherwise.

My best experience the other day was pulling in front of an Eco-terrorist Prius the was going 55 mph in the fast lane, slowed to 40 mph then as I was pulling away, seeing CHP lights pulling it over; hopefully for going too slow. Yes, about frigging time the cops do something about these menaces causing traffic jams. Btw, my intent was for the Prius to move over and change lanes, guess his stubbornness got the best of him.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Welcome to CA! Great choice on NorCal.

I have a friend who owns and runs a smog only test center and also owns an E46 M3, he's said no probs on smog with BMWs. I have the same exact 2005 330i ZHP that passed smog at his place last year without issues. Your troublespots will be bad O2 sensors or cats and CEL lights that hasn't had 200-500 miles to clear. Of course these troublespots apply to all cars not just BMW.

Your only probs if you commute from the East Bay to South Bay, are Priuses (we tend to have the most Eco righteous of them all here, loving to force slowness to all via hypermiling in all lanes), inconsiderate left most lane drivers and randomly beat up flying articles on the freeways. Happy commuting otherwise.

My best experience the other day was pulling in front of an Eco-terrorist Prius the was going 55 mph in the fast lane, slowed to 40 mph then as I was pulling away, seeing CHP lights pulling it over; hopefully for going too slow. Yes, about frigging time the cops do something about these menaces causing traffic jams. Btw, my intent was for the Prius to move over and change lanes, guess his stubbornness got the best of him.
Haha, nice. I have started to notice the Prius revolution out here. Just got the call from the shipping company today and they're picking up the ZHP tomorrow. I'll be sweating for the next 6 days during transit....
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
On the subject of hypermilers - To anyone who has never been on the road with one, count yourself lucky.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
On the subject of hypermilers - To anyone who has never been on the road with one, count yourself lucky.
I don't have any problems with them as long as they do it in the slowest lane.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
not to turn this into a bitching match, but you're overall tax burden living in NY is higher than CA if you own a home. if you don't own a home, CA has one of the highest tax burdens in the U.S.
Yes. all liberal states suck. We know that.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Never seen a hyper miler here in LA, but that idiot should have known the minimum speed on any freeway in California is 40 MPH. He could also be pulled over for obstructing traffic, but cops don't seem to pull over for that.

Here in LA (specifically Malibu) the problem is slow limos in the canyons.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 05' 325XI
Quote:

, its 11:30 am and a sunny 47 degrees outside here in Elk Grove.