Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
The latest and greatest V8 powered M3!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 745li
08 M3 Convertable DSC, EDC, but no M

I've read a thread on this topic but am still confused. This 08 BMW @ CarMax is 43,999 with 20,000 miles. It's an automatic (I dont drive manuals). It has EDC, DSC but it's friggin missing M Dynamic Mode. I know 44k isn't cheap for a car by any stretch but it's also not bad for a 08 convert M3 in my opinion. I just dont understand if it's worth 44k with no M Dynamic Mode. I know it was an option back in 08 and is standard in 11 but I'm the type of person who wants to take off out of a red light and enjoys driving through the smokey mountains dragon. I see a huge need for M Mode for these types of drives and turning DSC off means I can end up in a wall up in the mountains if I get at it. What is your opinion on M Dynamic Mode missing from an M3? Doesn't it defeat the purpose for us everyday drivers to be missing this option? I don't plan on track racing where DSC only would be a benefit. For me the middle ground M mode brings is ideal. Don't get me wrong...I dont know a whole lot about the M3 but it is the car I want now. Can you folks provide me information on M Mode and if 44k for this car is worth it without M Mode?
Ads by Google
Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Sounds like a car with out the tech package?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Sounds like a car with out the tech package?
That sounds about right. I only show Premium and Cold Weather packages
Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearziz View Post
That sounds about right. I only show Premium and Cold Weather packages
To be honest, the M mode isn't all that great and I have used it only a few times in this car. The throttle mapping I don't like, "normal" is more linear and controllable, the steering setting doesn't seem to do much of anything (I'm a bodybuilder, so steering always feel light) and since you have EDC, you can key-code that or hit that button instead of the m button.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I don't know about the 2008 M3's, but for newer M3 convertibles the competition package was not available; so, no M dynamic mode.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
To be honest, the M mode isn't all that great and I have used it only a few times in this car. The throttle mapping I don't like, "normal" is more linear and controllable, the steering setting doesn't seem to do much of anything (I'm a bodybuilder, so steering always feel light) and since you have EDC, you can key-code that or hit that button instead of the m button.
So sorry, EDC on, DSC off is pretty close to M Mode. Just want to make sure I understand correctly.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Bad Lieutenant

I believe so, or at least the DSC isn't so restrictive.

Other folks may chime who actually use/like the M mode though, I may be missing some secret aspect of its purpose.

Last edited by thekurgan; 12-27-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: bad speller
Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
MDM is the middle ground between DSC and DSC off. The feature is great on the track where the environment is controlled. It allows for a greater slip angle before DSC kicks in. ZCP (comp package) was never available on the E93. Since you have no desire to track your car don't let this be a deal breaker for you.............Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
MDM is the middle ground between DSC and DSC off. The feature is great on the track where the environment is controlled. It allows for a greater slip angle before DSC kicks in. ZCP (comp package) was never available on the E93. Since you have no desire to track your car don't let this be a deal breaker for you.............Phil
This.

OP - Sounds like you will be just fine.

Car scares the crap out me as it is, even without MDM.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Mace

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
I don't know about the 2008 M3's, but for newer M3 convertibles the competition package was not available; so, no M dynamic mode.
That's incorrect. Well, it's true that E93's don't have the comp package option but M Dynamic mode doesn't require it. My '11 E93M3 has M Dynamic and I use it quite frequently. Don't know about the options in '08, possibly M Dynamic was part of the tech package.
Also here's the BMW webpage: http://www.bmw.ie/ie/en/newvehicles/...amic_mode.html

YESTERDAY: '08 335i Coupe, Space Gray, Coral Red, Gray Poplar, 6-MT, ED 10 May '08.
TODAY: '11 M3 Convertible, Mineral White, Fox Red, Extended Leather, Carbon Leather, 6-MT, 19" Style 220M Wheels, EDC, EPS, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW. ED 29 Apr '11. PCD Re-delivery July 27.

Last edited by Mace14; 01-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.