Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11-335i e93;14 Hybrid 3
2nd cracked wheel

I have a 2011 335i convertible with 18" tires. My winter wheels are 18" Rial Como with Bridgestone LM-60 runflat winter tires (purchased from Tire Rack!). Got a "low tire pressure" reading on the TPMS sensor last week, refilled tire, low again next day, brought it to BMW. Turned out to be a cracked rim, which also happened last winter. Had to again order a replacement from Tire Rack, which they shipped overnight directly to my BMW dealer's service dept.

Has anybody else had problems with Rial or other aftermarket rims on 18" tires? My wife's 2006 325i has 16" Rial Salerno on the winter tires, and has never had a problem in 6 winters. Are 18" tires more prone to cracking the rims because of the reduced rubber between the rim and the road? Rial has a pretty good reputation, and we had good prior experience, but this is disturbing.

Last edited by luxun54; 01-10-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxun54 View Post
I have a 2011 335i convertible with 18" tires. My winter wheels are 18" Rial Como with Bridgestone LM-25 runflat winter tires (purchased from Tire Rack!). Got a "low tire pressure" reading on the TPMS sensor last week, refilled tire, low again next day, brought it to BMW. Turned out to be a cracked rim, which also happened last winter. Had to again order a replacement from Tire Rack, which they shipped overnight directly to my BMW dealer's service dept.

Has anybody else had problems with Rial or other aftermarket rims on 18" tires? My wife's 2006 325i has 16" Rial Salerno on the winter tires, and has never had a problem in 6 winters. Are 18" tires more prone to cracking the rims because of the reduced rubber between the rim and the road? Rial has a pretty good reputation, and we had good prior experience, but this is disturbing.
potholes + runflats + big rims all contribute to cracking. the tire sends more of the shock into the rim. over time you end up with cracks.

recommend you downsize to 17s for winter
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level: