Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM
I glow in the dark

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by supradupe View Post
I am not sure where people can find oil (7 quarts) for 40 bucks. Mobil 1 0W40 is close to 8 bucks with tax, so is Castrol 0W30. If my math is right, oil alone will cost close to 60 bucks. Of course, dino oils are much cheaper, but you have to change it more frequent.
I usually get my oil from COSTCO... MOBILE 1 syn... 5W30 6 bottles for $30 when on sale.. so I usually buy 2 cases to 3 cases.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyy View Post
I usually get my oil from COSTCO... MOBILE 1 syn... 5W30 6 bottles for $30 when on sale.. so I usually buy 2 cases to 3 cases.
+1. Costco usually has 6 quarts for under $30. The key is to shop for oil halfway through the interval. This time around, Pep Boys was running a special on 5 quarts of Mobil1 + a Mobil1 filter for $30. Add 2 more quarts and it's roughly $45 for everything. If I have to pay more than $50 for 7 quarts of oil and a filter, I keep shopping.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
I use mightyvac pump from top and pay $49 for oil and $5 for filter. Once a year I pay $88 in Manhattan NY to drop oil sensor and drain from bottom. (oil pan is stripped at drain plug so I jb welded it shut)
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
I glow in the dark

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizedmortal View Post
I use mightyvac pump from top and pay $49 for oil and $5 for filter. Once a year I pay $88 in Manhattan NY to drop oil sensor and drain from bottom. (oil pan is stripped at drain plug so I jb welded it shut)
Try to get a screw or bolt extractor.. I think Bluebee had this problem before read a thread relating to it.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Try to get a screw or bolt extractor.. I think Bluebee had this problem before read a thread relating to it.
Thanks for advice ...I wonder how hard it will be to get jb weld off creating new drain plug hole was only $25 on the honda civic. I may eventually get new oil pan.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
I just saw this.

The first thread is how to do it; the second is how NOT to do it (broken bolt):
- Cn90 How to change your oil; and Bluebee how NOT to change your oil!

With the OEM bolt, it's (probably) impossible to strip the threads on the I6 E39 (the V8 E39 is solid but the I6 is hollow).
Old 05-11-2015, 11:27 AM
$ MOB $

Mein Auto: 525i
my last oil change was roughly $100 this included labor, mobile 1 oil of choice, and new mann filter....

was done at local bmw indy shop. I remember calling the dealer to price the oil change but forgot exactly how much it was but defiantly more than what the indy charged reason why I went there.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: '99 540i
(2) 5 gal jugs of 0-40 27 ea, =54
(1) filter 16.00
$70 for a dyi change. And it really needed it!!!

doc
Old 05-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Mr. Mack

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
$85 plus free inspections at sears auto
Old 05-11-2015, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJS View Post
(2) 5 gal jugs of 0-40 27 ea, =54
(1) filter 16.00
$70 for a dyi change. And it really needed it!!!

doc
27 bux for 5 gallons?? What a deal!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
Afaik

The price of our oil at a parts store is about$9/qt and a filter is $10 give or take so to the OP the math for 8 quarts is $82 then you'd have to crawl under the car or use the vac, and dispose of the oil...so while the price seems out of line it isn't crazy. They basically want $30 to physically remove the oil and dispose of it along with the filter...not crazy.

Yes it can be found and done cheaper some as low as $60-70 but not bad...Good Luck

Most of us here are DIY'ers so we see the price as crazy, but for a person that relys on outsiders taking care of their car...it is in line. And prepare yourself...if this is your first BMW be prepared for more of the same in the future...
Old 05-11-2015, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: '99 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
27 bux for 5 gallons?? What a deal!!!
WallyWorld. Use to be $21 just a couple of months ago and this is for the Euro Formula 0-40 Full Synthetic Castrol! I think it's a pretty good deal to, especially knowing how many quarts this system takes!!

doc
Old 05-11-2015, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Shame on you guys who are trying to get this lady to do her own oil changes, in spite of her caveat!

Hope she doesn't take it to Oil Changers!

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:37 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Look for a Dealer coupon. The $118 is about average on this coast (I'm in Bellevue WA). The coupon drops it to around $90 or so.

I compare DIY cost, tools required, and difficulty level to pro cost. I also consider the potential for causing more costly damage for the sake of savings when I look at doing the work myself. When it comes to the oil change, you may save $60-$70 per year (counting discount coupon for Dealer) if you DIY. Those savings are just not worth the effort for me. Some people do it because they enjoy doing it, they have the tools, and they are good at it, which is great. Work can be very therapeutic. If the savings were more substantial I'd DIY on the oil change, but they are not and I now only have a one car garage.

Last edited by seemyad; 05-11-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJS View Post
WallyWorld. Use to be $21 just a couple of months ago and this is for the Euro Formula 0-40 Full Synthetic Castrol! I think it's a pretty good deal to, especially knowing how many quarts this system takes!!

doc
Ok...... That's great but re-read your original post. 27 bux for 5 GALLONS??? Just sayin. Peace out!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:50 AM
Otto Zwei-Punkt-Null

Mein Auto: 12- 2002 530i Auto,
I know its cheap but thats no reason to abandon my values... will never shop at walmart ever... non union pricks

R.I.P. Otto, 04/17/97 - 02/02/15 You'll be missed my drunken Bavarian friend.

"Owning one of these cars is much like owning a two year old child. It's annoying most of the time, but if anyone tries to take it from you'll kill them." J. Clarkson.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemyad View Post
Look for a Dealer coupon. The $118 is about average on this coast (I'm in Bellevue WA). The coupon drops it to around $90 or so.

I compare DIY cost, tools required, and difficulty level to pro cost. I also consider the potential for causing more costly damage for the sake of savings when I look at doing the work myself. When it comes to the oil change, you may save $60-$70 per year (counting discount coupon for Dealer) if you DIY. Those savings are just not worth the effort for me. Some people do it because they enjoy doing it, they have the tools, and they are good at it, which is great. Work can be very therapeutic. If the savings were more substantial I'd DIY on the oil change, but they are not and I now only have a one car garage.
If you don't have the tools to DIY oil change you don't have tools to DIY anything. Changing the oil is one of the easiest jobs and the change of causing damage is quite low compared to working on suspension/brakes/engine etc.

I'm not saying everyone should DIY, but owning e39 can be quite expensive, if you don't DIY.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
If you don't have the tools to DIY oil change you don't have tools to DIY anything.
Figuratively true, but not literally, since you don't need a 36mm socket or an oil catch pan to do most other jobs.

But your point is correct, especially since you'll need the ramps or jack and 17mm socket which are used for many jobs. Plus the optional torque wrench & shop rags and dish detergent.

Out here, $120 would be about normal for an oil change.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
It's cheap.
I tend to agree, if that's for oil and the filter including labor. Yours takes 8 qts, no? The synthetic I buy is Castrol 5W-40 BMW LL and it's $9 a qt at Auto Zone, plus the filter.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
This is an old thread but back to the very original question, a $100 oil change is what should be the case.

For years, many shops (Jiffy Lube included) claim they can change your oil for $19.99 or $29.99 etc.
The truth is: they basically do the work for "free", but while the car is up in the air, they look for other jobs (axles, control arms, exhaust) that generate way more $.
So the $19.99 was simply a "bait".

To properly charge for oil change:
- Oil, if synthetic, then $5/qt x7 = $35
- Oil Filter $5.
- Half-hour labor ($100/h) = $50

You can see that charging $100 for an oil change is not outrageous if the shop wants to survive.

If you DIY at home, then it is certainly much cheaper.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:26 AM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
If you don't have the tools to DIY oil change you don't have tools to DIY anything. Changing the oil is one of the easiest jobs and the change of causing damage is quite low compared to working on suspension/brakes/engine etc.

I'm not saying everyone should DIY, but owning e39 can be quite expensive, if you don't DIY.
You are absolutely right. That said, to safely DIY oil change you need jack stands (or rhino ramps), wheel chocks, oil filter socket, rags, and a pan to catch the used oil (which should be disposed of properly).

Then you have to purchase 5 (or 6) quarts of oil around $9 + tax per quart and the oil filter plus rubber o-ring seal (I think). In the end you spend between $60 to $70 (plus the cost of the oil filter socket). I won't even ding people for not using a torque wrench on the oil drain plug or the oil filter housing (about $200 for a good one, which should be calibrated every few years).

For $20 or $30 more with the discount coupon (about twice per year) I enjoy tea and cookies at BMW of Bellevue, surf the net, and play around in a new model whilst they toil on my behalf.

Again, I am not knocking anyone who chooses to do their own oil change. Some people have a garage full of tools and a head full of knowledge to the point of changing oil blind folded. I am more passionate about electronics than mechanics, so I do enjoy wiring up new gadgets in my car. Just give me a wiring diagram, some splices, and leave me to my work.

There are some members on this forum that I would love to pay and assist (to learn) in doing some work on my car. When I see the pics of what they have torn apart and put back together I stand in awe. You may be one of those type of members that can rip the engine apart and put it back together better than it was before. Me, I'd rip my engine apart then have to pay someone twice as much to fix what I broke in the process.

I do change my own brakes and rotors because that upfront (yet rare) savings is substantial (about $400 savings per axle). Throw in the brake fluid flush and you almost save a cool $1000. In addition, I do a better job than the shops because they always fail to add the anti-squeal goo.

I changed my spark plugs. I do the overly simple stuff like cabin and engine air filter replacement. I installed my Dynavin N6 Nav System and will be installing the rear view camera. I will also be doing the Stage 1 speaker upgrade from Bavsound (speakers arrived Friday).

Oil change is about the only thing the stealer doesn't over charge for (especially when you use the coupon). When they changed my oil, they wanted $99 to reset my service light. I complained so they did it for free. BTW, I hear there is a better oil to use than BMW (Castrol) oil, which is another reason to DIY.

I applaud those of you who DIY oil changes. You probably do it in about 15 minutes if you drive up on ramps. You do save some cash AND you get to spend a little quality time with your baby. I couldn't knock that even if I wanted to.

Last edited by seemyad; 05-17-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:48 PM

I keep seeing 5 or 6 qts of oil being posted. I guess that may be true for other, smaller engines, but the 540I takes 8 qts. @ $9 per qts., plus the oil filter.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Respect my authoritay!

Send a message via Skype™ to Zerodynamic
Mein Auto: 2001 540i6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 Hammer View Post
I keep seeing 5 or 6 qts of oil being posted. I guess that may be true for other, smaller engines, but the 540I takes 8 qts. @ $9 per qts., plus the oil filter.
I don't know where you guys are getting your figures, but if you shop around and DIY, you can do a 540 oil change for $55-$60. This is what I do:

I buy my oil filters online, often if they are on sale, or if I can get free shipping. Depending on the filter of the month (Mann, Mahle, Hengst) I can usually score one of these reputable brands for $5-$7. Also, I never pay sales tax, whether it be Autohaus, Amazon, or RockAuto.

As for the oil, Wal-Mart is your friend. You can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro (meets LL-01) on average for $26. When it's on sale "roll back" it's $22. I don't buy 20 at a time, but I do stock up if I see a sale because you are going to use it eventually and one of my best friends has an e90 so we share oil. Even if you don't stock up, I save the remaining two quarts and repeat. It's like getting a free oil change every 4th one I do (sorta.)

I know some people swear by German Castrol and that's fine, but not $9 a quart fine, when I can find a comparable product for almost half that.

Lastly, I used to be a store manager for Autozone, and let me tell you, they don't have a a lot of margin when it comes to oil. Some, but not a lot. Wal-Mart (from what my District Manager told me long ago) has an exclusive agreement with some of the big names in oil. Why else would they sell $26 jugs when everyone else sells them for $38? When you see the oil change specials, they really want you to buy accessories; shop towels, hand cleaner, drain pans, and funnels. Oh, and air filters are a huge push too. Those things have HUGE profit margins (some in excess of 60%) that really drive the bottom line of the store.

Moral of the story: Shop around, save some cash, and do a better job yourself.

Last edited by Zerodynamic; 05-13-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:24 PM

Actually, I've shopped around and gone to Amazon, which have the lowest prices per qt. for the oil I use. It's the same at Auto Zone and O'Reilly's: http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06249-.../dp/B007G7PWSA This isn't available in the "jugs". BMW has also just changed their "recommended oil" to the new Shell product, which is also running the same price. I use the Mobil 1 5w-30 in my 2008 Corvette and get it for the prices you mentioned, but have opted to go with this Castrol product for now in the BMW. Here's the info on the "new" Shell recommended by BMW: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ Click on the Pennzoil Synthetics tab at the top. I tend to go by what "Bob Is The Oil" Guy says.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:44 PM
Respect my authoritay!

Send a message via Skype™ to Zerodynamic
Mein Auto: 2001 540i6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 Hammer View Post
Actually, I've shopped around and gone to Amazon, which have the lowest prices per qt. for the oil I use. It's the same at Auto Zone and O'Reilly's: http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06249-.../dp/B007G7PWSA This isn't available in the "jugs". BMW has also just changed their "recommended oil" to the new Shell product, which is also running the same price. I use the Mobil 1 5w-30 in my 2008 Corvette and get it for the prices you mentioned, but have opted to go with this Castrol product for now in the BMW. Here's the info on the "new" Shell recommended by BMW: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ Click on the Pennzoil Synthetics tab at the top. I tend to go by what "Bob Is The Oil" Guy says.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the $8.50 a quart Castrol you are using is a group III hydrocracked oil? While the 0w-40 M1 is a group IV PAO? I've read a lot on BITOG before, and while Group III+ isn't terrible, the consensus was group IV and V were superior.

Funny how Pennzoil is stepping up their game, about 10 years ago I saw some nasty Pennzoil sludge and most folks I spoke to regarded it as crap. After reading the Q & A, the new Platinium is still a group III with a different additive package. Personally, I don't care what BMW recommends now. We all knew Castrol on our engine caps was just marketing to help both companies, and I'm sure that is what this new agreement relates to as well.

But to each their own. Personally, I do 5k OCI's so I could probably get away with something that's not LL-01 rated.

Last edited by Zerodynamic; 05-13-2015 at 07:49 PM.