Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 89 325iX and 97 328is
Upgrade to 325i heres my thoughts

I am wanting to purchase a 325i id like a 89 cause that's the year i was born. but anyhoo I am wanting to post what i want to do to it and see what people think i can take all criticism. well here is the list. This will not be my first E30 my first car and current car is a 86 325 and i love it.

- a coil over plug conversion ( I understand this can be hard and would like some advice )
- MAF conversion ( i think i have to use the E36 one for my coil over plug to work )
- Performance cam shaft ( i am thinking Schrik any other suggestions? )
- 5-lug conversion ( id like a E46 M3 hub to work with i know a guy who works for a shop here who did it to his car and its sick i know it costs $$$ but im willing to save )
- Quick ratio steering rack
- Multi-throttle body ( id like to make one out of the E46 M3 but if it costs the same as already made ones ill get that. )
- E36 M3 Transmission
- Light weight flywheel
- UUC Evo3 Shifter
- Z3M Diff
- Custom Free flow exhaust
- i want to do some body work but not sure what yet.
- I would like to get a M3 alcantara Sued steering wheel and boots.

If i think of something else i want to do I will edit.

If you have experience with any of the above mentioned please post it id love to know your experience both good and bad.

Note: I am not doing a engine transplant cause i don't want to deal with it and i like the M20.

Last edited by Titan_Omega; 01-08-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
do a m3 tranny but not the motor? thats kinda ass backwards but anyway, your car.

but have you asked yourself, why not the m5x motor swap? youll knock the top 3 things on your list off and have more performance.

i myself am not a huge fan of the 5 lug swap, just due to whats all involved.

bodywork......be careful. thats where the criticism will start.

the others are good choice.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
do a m3 tranny but not the motor? thats kinda ass backwards but anyway, your car.

but have you asked yourself, why not the m5x motor swap? youll knock the top 3 things on your list off and have more performance.

i myself am not a huge fan of the 5 lug swap, just due to whats all involved.

bodywork......be careful. thats where the criticism will start.

the others are good choice.
well maybe not the M3 transmission but i have to do more research on the gear ratios. if i can get away with it i would love a 6 speed.

i dont want the M5x engine cause i dont really want to deal with the swap. maybe later down the road when i have the cash id do the S54 swap. after about of month of research.

and the body work i want it pretty much stock looking just a little more something not sure yet.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM

dose anyone have an idea what would be needed for the E46 Me Throttle bodies on the M20 i know its possible and i can make the piece needed to connect the two im thinking all i need is the whole throttle body a drive by wire and the TPS. if i am wrong please let me know.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Post Multiple Throttle Bodies on a M20

Just something to think about***********: the E30 M20 calculates the load put on your engine using solely the VAF. There is no TPS to aid
I use Multiple Throttle Bodies, so I can run a hotter cam & still have enough bottom end driveability. Setting them up is not a DIY job
Yes, you can build a fancy intake for the MTB's on a plenum to the VAF, but that negates the MTB effect to a huge degree ! Some would use a MAF sensor, as you suggested.
Considering the above, I'd go for a MAP sensor and a TPS to measure the load on the motor.
Then you need to think about managing that
In the end YOU must decide what you want to do. But as far as I am concerned, I try to get the best bang for my Buck. Where did I put that M5x motor again
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick323 View Post
Just something to think about***********: the E30 M20 calculates the load put on your engine using solely the VAF. There is no TPS to aid
I use Multiple Throttle Bodies, so I can run a hotter cam & still have enough bottom end driveability. Setting them up is not a DIY job
Yes, you can build a fancy intake for the MTB's on a plenum to the VAF, but that negates the MTB effect to a huge degree ! Some would use a MAF sensor, as you suggested.
Considering the above, I'd go for a MAP sensor and a TPS to measure the load on the motor.
Then you need to think about managing that
In the end YOU must decide what you want to do. But as far as I am concerned, I try to get the best bang for my Buck. Where did I put that M5x motor again
well i did not know of the MAP sensor thank you again i dont want to do a M5x engine transplant cuase i honestly like the M20 set up a lot and im just wanting to have fun with the engine. Later on when I have a spare 10,000 laying around i want to do the S54 swap but for now this is what im wanting to do. Do you run that set up on a M20 engine or the M5X set up?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM

Im also wanting to put in E36 m3 Vader seats im finding they can be a pain in the butt to find. If anyone can get me an estimated price on them or where i may acquire them please let me know.