Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
I bought my first MT in 1991, an Eagle Talon (remember those guys?), while living in Warren, Mi. It came with me when I moved to downtown Milwaukee, suburban Columbus and suburban Baltimore. I liked it just fine in all those areas, especially BWI, where there are a lot of rolling hills to drive along.

I still had it when I moved to the city of Chicago in 1996. There are so many stop signs through those neighorhoods, and the traffic is so slow, driving an MT is like doing a conga dance: 1-2-3-stop. 1-2-3 stop. 1-2-3-stop. Frustrating as hell.

When I bought my new car in 1998 (too embarrassed to tell you what it was), it was no contest. I went with AT. And since I still live in the city, every car I have had since then has been AT. I liked MT, but given my surroundings, I don't miss it.

Anyone who lives or works in an intensely urban area like I do, don't underestimate the effect on your driving when deciding between MT and AT.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
I have been driving manuals in daily NYC area traffic for years.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

It gives me something to do.

I usually have aftermarket clutches which are firmer, but no leg killing 6puck non sense.

I don't think I have ever sat in hours of traffic and wished for an automatic.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post

I usually have aftermarket clutches which are firmer, but no leg killing 6puck non sense.

More power to you, mate.

Me, I don't miss driving a manual in my neighborhood where I have to encounter four stop signs within 500 yards.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
My 1st choice would probably be manual. Specially in Northern California.... no that much traffic. Here it is insane traffic, bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go and I would need to shift like 150x just to get home. Not fun. My previous E46 was manual - I couldn't keep 1st without going 500rpm.

I wrote "probably" because I am not so sure. I don't really miss that 3rd pedal but I love to shift (paddles are no substitute). We have another manual car in the family.

And since I use M-mode 80-90% of the time out of the highways, I have to say that I am pleased with the old style Steptronic (I prefer it to the new style but could get used to it I guess). I even lift the throttle between shifts just for the fun. Somebody listening could swear I am driving a manual. BMW Steptronic is an exception because most manumatics suck.
I do miss my manual just for the fun of practicing how to drive. However, with NorCal traffic, I don't miss it other than on passing. My step on the ZHP and overdrive on the MR2 are fast and responsive enough that you learn to think ahead when you need the power or engine braking. Auto or manual shouldn't matter if the driver can adapt to anything. Plus it only matters if you are on a track pushing 9-10/10th limits anyways.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
I can't imagine a scenario where I'd own an AT car over one with a MT. I live near Detroit and our traffic is light compared to most big cities but there are definitely stop and go scenarios. Not once have I thought I wish my car had an AT.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I can't imagine a scenario where I'd own an AT car over one with a MT. I live near Detroit and our traffic is light compared to most big cities but there are definitely stop and go scenarios. Not once have I thought I wish my car had an AT.
One of the things I miss about living in Detroit is driving 80 on 696 in bumper-to-bumper traffic during rush hour. Haven't seen that in any other city I've lived in. But then again, I didn't see any deep dish square pizza joints like Buddy's or Loui's or Jet's in any other city until last month. So anything is possible, I guess.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
One of the things I miss about living in Detroit is driving 80 on 696 in bumper-to-bumper traffic during rush hour. Haven't seen that in any other city I've lived in. But then again, I didn't see any deep dish square pizza joints like Buddy's or Loui's or Jet's in any other city until last month. So anything is possible, I guess.
I lived in Detroit for 4 years(plus a summer in Auburn Hills) while I got my bachelors.

I must have caught some kind of sickness because I love it there. We try and go back once a year and we always look into job prospects in order to relocate.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list

Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post

+1 LA traffic can be a beotch at times but even with the firm clutch of the E46 M3, never wished for a slushy.

The F30 clutch is extremely mild mannered compared to that, and even though I never have to use my parking brake starting on a steep hill the auto-hold feature on the F30 manual sweetens the experience for those times. Although my dyed-in-the-wool purist buddy claims if I drove his Z3 manual without auto-hold, I'd forget and roll back into somebody.

Somehow me thinks not.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Ah yes, the I-696 commute. You get run over if you do 70 mph. I love it.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
If it's your last chance, especially, buy the stick. You won't regret it.

Add me to the ranks of people who simply don't get how driving a stick in traffic is worse than driving an automatic. Hold the brake to the floor, or press the clutch in occasionally, your choice. I've spent plenty of time driving in terrible Seattle and Bay Area traffic, plus plenty of trips thru LA at rush hour. I'd rather creep along in first and sometimes give a bit more throttle, than hold a bunch of pressure on the brake to control the slushbox's creep.

Last edited by reidconti; 01-09-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidconti View Post
If it's your last chance, especially, buy the stick. You won't regret it.

Add me to the ranks of people who simply don't get how driving a stick in traffic is worse than driving an automatic. Hold the brake to the floor, or press the clutch in occasionally, your choice. I've spent plenty of time driving in terrible Seattle and Bay Area traffic, plus plenty of trips thru LA at rush hour. I'd rather creep along in first and sometimes give a bit more throttle, than hold a bunch of pressure on the brake to control the slushbox's creep.
Amen brother!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
I love love love the 6-MT. yes the auto is a very nice box but the 6-MT is so direct and light its almost effortless to shift. One of the major reasons I came back to BMW after being "lost" with the 7-speed auto in the Mercedes.

I will drive MTs until they are not offered any more. And that will be a very sad day in my life.

Oh yea I live in Northern VA, perhaps the 2nd worse traffic area in the country.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.

Last edited by windsor027; 01-10-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
I will drive MTs until they are not offered any more. And that will be a very sad day in my life.
Let's just hope that never happens!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Late to the party, but here are my comments...

My cars have had manual transmissions since 1991. My last two cars prior to the F30 were 5 and 6 speed german manual gearboxes and they were awesome. Having said that, I am in love with the 8AT transmission in the F30. I don't miss the clutch. Admittedly this car is primarily for commuting but I've still done some "fun" driving with it and in sport mode the auto is very responsive. I don't find I am missing out on the enjoyment of shifting, I simply concentrate on other things like taking the perfect line through a sweeper.

I would never have believed that I would like an automatic transmission as much as a manual transmission, but after having driven an S4 two years ago that had a DCT I was hooked. I actually drove that S4 back to back with the DCT and MT and the DCT was way more enjoyable. While the 8AT is not as good as the DCT it is so close that it's almost a toss-up. I was thrilled that BMW offers this transmission on the 3 series and with sport mode it's a blast.

The side benefits are huge (for me) too. The car is a joy to drive in commuter traffic because I'm not shifting it hundreds of times. I can relax a bit and listen to music and not get irritated about shifting in and out of 1st gear over and over again. The other benefit is that my wife can drive it. She can't drive a stick and I have no desire to try to teach her, let alone have her be "learning" stick on such an expensive car.

There was an earlier comment about the MT having lower long term maintenance costs. That is a fallacy. Automatics are designed to last as long as the engine and usually do. By comparison it's typical to need to replace the clutch and master cylinder on an MT car somewhere in the 80-120K mile range. A buddy is getting the MT replaced on a 2001 E39. Cost is going to be about $1200 and that's going through a private shop.

If you are "debating" though that you are going to regret getting an MT, then just get an MT, then we don't have to hear you whining about it later.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 01-11-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
By comparison it's typical to need to replace the clutch and master cylinder on an MT car somewhere in the 80-120K mile range. A buddy is getting the MT replaced on a 2001 E39. Cost is going to be about $1200 and that's going through a private shop.
I'm on my original clutch.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
I'm on my original clutch.
Good for you. I've never needed a clutch replaced either. It doesn't change the fact that you are more likely to need to replace the clutch on an MT vehicle you own long term than replace the automatic transmission. About all you need to do with ATs is replace the transmission fluid periodically.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
I also switched to 8AT from being a lifetime MT driver, strangely I don't miss MT as much as I thought. The 8AT in sports mode is very responsive in both upshift and downshift. In comfort and eco modes the car rolls quite a bit(great for gas mileage) but I tend to use the brakes more than in MT. When in sport mode, the 8AT downshifts intelligently, and provides some engine braking(less braking needed).
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 subaru wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
To a dedicated manual transmission driver, the manual will never lose its merit. The new 8- speed automatic is an evolutionary improvement over previous automatic transmissions, but it is still an automatic.

It is easy to get lost in the terminology. It seems every manufacturer has its own name for an automatic transmission, versus an automated manual transmission. By convention, most automotive experts consider a transmission with a torque converter to be an automatic. OTOH a transmission that has an automated clutch and shifter, but no torque converter, is considered to be an automated manual. Both transmission types have two pedals on the floor.

A conventional manual transmission has three pedals, and some type of a manual shifter lever. Often the shift lever is located on the floor between the front seats. This is the type of transmission preferred by many enthusiasts (including me).

I almost exclusively prefer MTs too, but in the 328i Sports I've driven, the MT just seemed devoid of any feel for the car at all...just numb. Left me feeling more detached from the car than with the AT with paddles.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblandin View Post
These days I am finding that the question isn't so much "Manual vs. Auto" as it is "THIS Manual vs. Auto". What I mean is, the quality of the clutch feel and (to a lesser extent) shift action of a given manual transmission really makes or breaks it for me. ... A manual tranny with a light switch on/off clutch is really no fun to drive (IMO) or one with so little feel you can't detect the sweet spot. Dual Mass flywheels and self-adjusting mechanisms have real benefits, but they seem to often (not always) coincide with a lack of feel. This may seem unimportant to some, but is at the heart of the experience for me.
This. Exactly.

Last edited by hairy_scotsman; 01-11-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
It doesn't change the fact that you are more likely to need to replace the clutch on an MT vehicle you own long term than replace the automatic transmission.
This depends entirely on how you drive either transmission.

I put 250,000+ on my first car, a Toyota MT, before I sold it with the original clutch still working fine. I have never replaced a clutch on a track car. Driven well a clutch lasts essentially forever, even with city driving and driven aggressively. Others replace a street car clutch at less than 30k miles.

ATs vary in their lifetime as well. Properly maintained and not abused they should last the life of the engine. Many however need servicing/fixing prior to this - an expensive event.

The decision continues to reduce to buying the transmission one personally enjoys and your personality: If you are shifty, by an MT; shiftless, AT.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy_scotsman View Post
I almost exclusively prefer MTs too, but in the 328i Sports I've driven, the MT just seemed devoid of and feel for the car at all...just numb. Left me feeling more detached from the car than with the AT with paddles.
I have never liked BMW MTs much with the light feel, incredibly long throw and clutch delay valve. But they are easy to drive and readily modifiable.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 subaru wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I have never liked BMW MTs much with the light feel, incredibly long throw and clutch delay valve. But they are easy to drive and readily modifiable.
Thanks! What kind of mods are we talking about to give it some feel, and what kind of expense?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Clutch stop, short shifter, remove the clutch delay valve internals (which may not be possible with the F30 as the CDV is no longer external to the slave.)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 PM

The weighted zhp knob(msport has it standard) is a help and adding the clutch stop should be mandatory.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: Unknown
What BMW should do is add a sync rev feature on the manual transmission. This system would allow for perfect upshifts and downshifts. You would always be in the perfect rpm range. Don't have to worry about blipping the throttle. Might take the fun out of the way but your still driving a manual. The Nissan 370z with the sport package has this feature and works great. Just a suggestion for BMW to implement.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Is this feature user defeatable on the Nissan?