Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 E90
E90 Suspension Upgrade: Opinions

Car:
-08 E90
-Non-Sports
-70K Miles

Mods:
-None

Wheels/Tires:
-OEM 18" Staggered Set up (Style 162)
-Michelin PSS

Current To-Buy List:
- SilverLine Plus X Coilover System - Adjustable Dampening (Link)
- M3 Front Control Arms (Link)

Future Wish List:
- M3 Rear Sway Bar
- M3 Front Sway Bar (After front one, if needed)
- M3 Rear Subframe Bushings
- M3 Rear Control Arm Bushings (at the very end...)

What I don't like currently:
I know this is the base model, but even for that this car is too soft but under-damped. Suspension has 'skipping' effect and feel floaty on highway. Worst is the steering. It feels over boosted and sloppy mid-corner. Steering has no feel (comparatively) and same with the rear end. Car understeers more than any other and I know I do have staggered and sticky rubber being culprits. I know most of these issues are due to BMW calibrating the car for RFT's.

What I want:
FEEL! I want more steering feel..more road feel. Of douse, I want the car to handle better, but that's secondary. I want this keep this car few at least 4 more years and def for over 150K miles. I have been doing thorough research and above list is what I came up with minimum cost for most gain. I do not track this car, just spirited driving. E46 ZSP is my Holy-Grail.

Due to my current financial situation and to getaway with minimum alignments after installs, I decided to go with control arms and coil-overs first. So with those two items, what do I need to replace while I am at it? Shock mounts? Are there M3 shock mounts that would fit? Please give me some detail on this.

PS: Above coil-overs are listed as back-ordered on ECS and says ETA is April. Anyone know the truth to this? Anywhere else I can buy these?
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
What I want:
FEEL! I want more steering feel..more road feel. Of douse, I want the car to handle better, but that's secondary. I want this keep this car few at least 4 more years and def for over 150K miles. I have been doing thorough research and above list is what I came up with minimum cost for most gain. I do not track this car, just spirited driving. E46 ZSP is my Holy-Grail.

You're on the right track....try E90POST for answers + many DIY experienced suspension folks.

[EDIT....see you did!]

My effort here.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-31-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
E46 ZSP is my Holy-Grail.
ZHP...those mafia boys might come after you

I agree your on the right track. Keep us updated if you hit it!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Given your findings about the way your car behaves, I suspect that you have bad struts on your car. Lowering my suspension did wonders for the agility of my car. Not sure you need adjustable coils in South Florida, but since the kit seems to includes new struts, 1200$ is not bad.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
The SilverLine Plus X coilovers (LINK) are not on backorder, they just take a rather long time to come in from FK once ordered. We update the ETA on them daily to keep you informed on the time frame associated with FK products we don't have in stock here at ECS.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
The SilverLine Plus X coilovers (LINK) are not on backorder, they just take a rather long time to come in from FK once ordered. We update the ETA on them daily to keep you informed on the time frame associated with FK products we don't have in stock here at ECS.
I see. Thanks.