Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci Sport 5 speed
Moving to Seattle ... Tires and Parking?

I'm moving from Milwaukee to Seattle in the next few weeks and am bringing my '02 330ci with me. I've poked around a little on the forums and found some old answers to my tires question but thought it worth my while to give it another shot ...

Here in Milwaukee, it's an absolute necessity to have snow tires; I'm currently running Blizzaks on a separate set of rims. I plan on selling those rims and then getting a new set of summer tires (current ones are worn) for my OEM rims. Is it wise to get rid of my winter setup? I expect to use public transportation to get to work. Any recommendations on a good summer/rain tire for Seattle? Given that I don't expect to drive except for leisure, is a standard summer tire sufficient? I've currently got Yokohama S.Drive tires.

I'm looking at living perhaps in Capitol Hill or Belltown, or a nearby neighborhood, and then commuting to my job in Redmond. Parking at apartment communities in the former areas seems to be pretty expensive, so I was looking for some alternative options - either a parking spot in this area at a parking structure, or perhaps something in Redmond, from which I could pick up my car after work if I needed it. Any recommendations for relatively cheap but secure / conveniently located parking?

I'd appreciate any thoughts!
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
I live in Redmond, so I got this one...

It snows maybe 2-3 times a year here, sometimes more, sometimes less. It is very hilly here, however, so if you intend to drive in the snow at all, you better keep those wheels and winter tires. Since you already own them, why not keep them? I need my car for work, so I have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires, plus chains just in case. I don't get stuck. Period. But I only need them for a week or 2 every year. The rest of the time, summer tires will work great. I run Dunlop Star Spec summer tires and they've been great, even in the rain. Summer tires will outperform so-called All Seasons even in the cold and wet.

Occasionally we'll have a blizzard that will really shut the roads down. Unlike the Midwest, we don't have a lot of snow removal/salt/sand equipment here because the need is not great enough to justify the expense, so when it snows it takes much longer for the roads to be cleared. Plus, everyone freaks out, and the collective IQ average goes down 30 points and everyone starts driving like complete idiots (stopping in the middle of uphill climbs, etc.).

If you're working in Redmond, may I suggest moving to Bellevue or Kirkland? Both are upscale and reasonably hip, and are on the same side of Lake Washington as Redmond. Do not underestimate the hassle of having to cross the lake 2x per day. It'll be hours out of your life you could be spending doing other things. PM me if you want more thoughts on living in the area, schools, neighborhoods, etc.

Last edited by Fishful Thinking; 01-09-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Although I agree with a lot that fishful said, if you're not using the car for commuting, there is no need for snows; after all it just means you won't do optional trips for a week, until the snow melts (I can only think of 2-3 times in the last 30 that it lasted more than one week.).

The townhouse my son lives in on Capitol hill provides one parking spot; there are few other parking places available in most of the downtown core. My son's gf has one, but apparently recently got broken into and had the gps stolen (un-secured and doesn't move much.)

Downtown Seattle has the most expensive rents (averaging around $2.50/sf), although downtown Bellevue, downtown Kirkland are right there, too. Seattle is better for transit connections, in general.

BTW: it snowed in the higher hills around Seattle today. No problems; didn't stick very much.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Although I agree with a lot that fishful said, if you're not using the car for commuting, there is no need for snows; after all it just means you won't do optional trips for a week, until the snow melts (I can only think of 2-3 times in the last 30 that it lasted more than one week.).

The townhouse my son lives in on Capitol hill provides one parking spot; there are few other parking places available in most of the downtown core. My son's gf has one, but apparently recently got broken into and had the gps stolen (un-secured and doesn't move much.)

Downtown Seattle has the most expensive rents (averaging around $2.50/sf), although downtown Bellevue, downtown Kirkland are right there, too. Seattle is better for transit connections, in general.

BTW: it snowed in the higher hills around Seattle today. No problems; didn't stick very much.
If you absolutly do not need to drive in the snow and you don't have any place to store the winter wheels/tires, then by all means, sell them and pocket some cash. If you have a place to store them, why not keep them? It's not like you're paying taxes on 'em or anything. And if you want to travel over Snoqualmie or Stevens pass to go skiing, you'll need them.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
btw, i have the yoko s.drives as well and i remember reading their spec sheet awhile back. they were touting the compounds ability to stay soft, even in ~40 degree temps, which many summer tires dont do very well. so apart from the snow situation, they're a good tire to have in a norcal/oregon/washington environment when it gets cold, but you need to run something all year.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci Sport 5 speed
Thanks, all for the input. We'll be living in First Hill, so I could certainly purchase space for the winter wheels, but that would be almost the only thing I could fit in the storage space, so I think I'll need that for something else.

On a sort of related note, someone recommended Fat City for repairs on the BMW ... any experience with them?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichmusick View Post
On a sort of related note, someone recommended Fat City for repairs on the BMW ... any experience with them?
They're listed in bimmershops.com, but I've never heard of them. I don't believe that they advertise in Zundfolge (the BMWCCA magazine/newsletter for Seattle Chapter). (You should join, BTW. Big Concours in Renton at River Days in July.) Strictly BMW in Overlake (close to Microsoft) would be my choice for repairs: I currently use Eastside Bavarian in Issaquah - some former Strictly guys and it's closer to my house.