Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
JB4 Stage 2 installed! A Must have for all F10 535i!

Recently I been Fed up with waiting for Dinan to release a tune for F10 535i, along with feeling the need for more power, I decided to go with the JB4 stage 2 tune from Burger Motorsports.
From the Dyno Iíve seen I figure this would be a slight barely noticeable improvement on the car, but Boy was I wrong! The tune blew my mind away! Completely off my head and into Outer space! I can not believe how an inexpensive little box could change the car so much.

Pros:
- My biggest complaint against the F10 5 series was the throttle response. The car while smooth is very lazy on the throttle. There is a half second delay between stomping on the gas and the actually car moving. Sometimes you would even fall behind traffic because of it. This tune completely changed it. The car suddenly becomes a lot more responsive. At the lightest touch of gas, the car would start moving. It actually made the 535i felt like my F30 335i. Itís as if the car lost 500 lbs!
- Installation was really easy. The installation really only took 5 minutes. Most of the cables are just plug and play. Some slots were a little hard to reach, but no big deal. People were complaining how the stage 2 has to tap in 2 wires. But Terry has included some nice little tool so it goes unnoticeable. (Props to Terry Burger who personally installed the tune for me )
- The price is perfect. Unlike the $3k to $4k 550i tune charge by Dinan. The Burger tune is only $529. For the improvement, this price is completely reasonable. Wouldnít mind paying twice as much to be honest.
- And of course, Power. According to the Burger Website, the N55 JB4 stage 2 tune gives +80HP and +100lb torque. Does it feel like it? You bet your ass it does! In Sports or Manual Shift, the car accelerates violently. At full throttle, the traction control would kick in every time. I canít even open it up around town now, because how fast it accelerates. It makes the car feel like a muscle car, like the car has 400HP! (At least my butt dyno tells me it does )

Cons:
- There are one or two cons about the tune. One thing many people would be disappointed to hear is the Turbo Lag didnít go away. I guess itís impossible to get rid of it since even the M5 have it. But it is minimized with the tune. You canít really feel it unless you stomp it full throttle suddenly.
- Burger is still working on adding some of the features to the tune, such as on dash map changing, etc. The only way to change the map now is to use a USB cable and Laptop, no biggie

So in the end, I would recommend the tune to all F10 535i owners. I would go to even say it is a must have. Even if you donít need the extra power, the tune makes the car so much more responsive and easier to drive around town. On highway too, since the car accelerate much quicker, which allows much easier lane change and passing.
Iím in love with the tune.

Last edited by smashhell; 01-08-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Did you have any tip in issues? If so, what did I do?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Did you have any tip in issues? If so, what did I do?
Before the tune, yes a huge tip in issue.
After the tune, nope it's all gone. The throttle and acceleration is now instant. Even at the lightest touch the car goes.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM

Not lag when under way. From a start.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Thanks for the energetic review.

It seems you may have seen this disturbing dyno of a n55 F10 with the JB4-stage 2 BMS tune:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784125

Did you ask Terry about this?? I was ready to buy this tune; however, the above dyno is very disturbing to me. I am anxiously waiting to see when Terry will respond to this information. It seems that the shop has contacted Terry over 2 weeks ago about this.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Excellent review...thanks. I see they now have a tune for F10 550's now too, labelled BETA. Has anyone tried it?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
Thanks for the energetic review.

It seems you may have seen this disturbing dyno of a n55 F10 with the JB4-stage 2 BMS tune:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784125

Did you ask Terry about this?? I was ready to buy this tune; however, the above dyno is very disturbing to me. I am anxiously waiting to see when Terry will respond to this information. It seems that the shop has contacted Terry over 2 weeks ago about this.
Yeah I seen that chart.
Not sure what caused that or why the dyno was so choppy.
It might have been driver issue
Doesn't really matter to me though.
Because this tune is so much more than just numbers. The improvement made to the driving feel alone made it worth every penny.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

BMS has sold a lot of N55 juice boxes and he sold many N54 before that...many happy customers from what I've read. The stock torque on that dyno run looks surprisingly high....328 ft. lbs at the wheels? when the car is rated 300 ft lbs at the crank. Perhaps that car has numerous other mods that are incompatible with the juice box? Many other dyno runs prove what the product claims...and what the OP of this thread reports. Return it for a refund if not happy.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Not lag when under way. From a start.
Exactly what I was saying.
The throttle "tip in" from a start has gone away. The throttle response is now smooth as silk. No more jerky acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
BMS has sold a lot of N55 juice boxes and he sold many N54 before that...many happy customers from what I've read. The stock torque on that dyno run looks surprisingly high....328 ft. lbs at the wheels? when the car is rated 300 ft lbs at the crank. Perhaps that car has numerous other mods that are incompatible with the juice box? Many other dyno runs prove what the product claims...and what the OP of this thread reports. Return it for a refund if not happy.
Yep. An extremely happy customer right here.

Last edited by smashhell; 01-08-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashhell View Post
Yeah I seen that chart.
Not sure what caused that or why the dyno was so choppy.
It might have been driver issue
Doesn't really matter to me though.
Because this tune is so much more than just numbers. The improvement made to the driving feel alone made it worth every penny.
How could this not matter to you? If you haven't had your car on the dyno or data logged before and after you have no idea what the tune is doing to your engine. Seeing this graph would make me very nervous about putting this tune on my car. Agreed it could be something specific to that car, or that dyno or dyno operator but I would not be satisfied (or writing positive reviews) without having any data of the impacts on your car's engine operation aside from your subjective assessment of improved driving feel.

Also, i believe the owner of the car from that dyno has uninstalled the tune and is selling it, I did not see the issues with the dyno explained or addressed.

Last edited by alextremo; 01-09-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashhell View Post
Exactly what I was saying.
The throttle "tip in" from a start has gone away. The throttle response is now smooth as silk. No more jerky acceleration.

Yep. An extremely happy customer right here.
OK, I'm buying one as soon as the car comes back from the shop.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Festaholic

Quote:
OK, I'm buying one as soon as the car comes back from the shop.
Looking forward to your feedback. Houston does have A LOT of speed shops with dynos

Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
+1

I still have yet to see a real before and after dyno with these tunes. I just picked up the stage 1 from a local fester who is going a different route. I plan on doing before and after dyno's at every point. Before stage 1, after stage 1, and then after stage 2. That is if my car tags ever get here.

I guess I just dont understand the doing something like this without measuring it properly. I guess I am just to anal about it.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
+1

I still have yet to see a real before and after dyno with these tunes. I just picked up the stage 1 from a local fester who is going a different route. I plan on doing before and after dyno's at every point. Before stage 1, after stage 1, and then after stage 2. That is if my car tags ever get here.

I guess I just dont understand the doing something like this without measuring it properly. I guess I am just to anal about it.
There are plenty of dynos out there, I've seen many...you won't be the first to run one. The butt dyno is the most important!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM

There are plenty of after dunos, there are not a lot of dynos out there that show the before and after. The butt dyno while important is the least reliable as it is affected by the wallet dyno (money you just shelled out) and the Placebo dyno (I added a boost, so it must be great)

Again, not doubting the OP feels happy with his upgrade, just that without actual data - its just that - a feeling.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
There are plenty of after dunos, there are not a lot of dynos out there that show the before and after. The butt dyno while important is the least reliable as it is affected by the wallet dyno (money you just shelled out) and the Placebo dyno (I added a boost, so it must be great)

Again, not doubting the OP feels happy with his upgrade, just that without actual data - its just that - a feeling.
Look around...most of the ones I've seen show before and after...also plenty of drag race slips out there as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Quote:
+1. Not anal, logical!

And yes, I did dyno my car before and after the dinan tune and have also data logged parameters like timing, AFR, boost, throttle body position, intake temps, etc. to insure my car was happy with the software.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
+1. Not anal, logical!

And yes, I did dyno my car before and after the dinan tune and have also data logged parameters like timing, AFR, boost, throttle body position, intake temps, etc. to insure my car was happy with the software.
EXACTLY! That's how you do it.

There are not a lot of before and afters out there which makes me skeptical - 80HP 100LB Torque - thats a 25%+ increase in HP and torque.

Last edited by miamiboyca; 01-09-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Festaholic

Quote:
+1

I was actually ready to pull the trigger on the Stage 2 for January; however, that graph gave me reason for concern. I have respect for Terry and his products; however, I want to see his response before I make my purchase. More than the product itself, I want to see the dedication to maintaining and improving this specific product. Afterall, one of the selling points with the Stage 2 JB4 (over the Stage 1) is its ability to be updated - as BMS said there would be updates and improvements that would ONLY apply to the JB4.

I too would do before and after dynos if I had the tune. Keep me posted where you get your dyno done at.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
\
I too would do before and after dynos if I had the tune. Keep me posted where you get your dyno done at.
I was gonna wait for you?

Just got Ramble's stage1, but first I need to get tires swapped and my tags first.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:

There are not a lot of before and afters out there which makes me skeptical - 80HP 100LB Torque - thats a 25%+ increase in HP and torque.
Don't forget the oil analysis before and after each oil change
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Don't forget the oil analysis before and after each oil change
Sorry, thought this was a serious forum... Lol

You don't get because you already have 400 HP. Its not your fault.

Last edited by miamiboyca; 01-09-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-sport
Quote:

Definitely not 80hp/100tq.. Since having it off my car, I notice a difference, but nothing like my E60 tuned N54 vs stock. That was a gain of around 80 hp/tq and this feels nothing close to that at all. I would say 25hp/35-40tq And those are my butt dyno numbers for the stage 1.. I like to say they are usually pretty accurate.

Previous BMW's: 87' 528e / 04' 325i / 07' 335i / 08' 335i / 08' 535i
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-sport
Quote:
You cannot compare any E90/E92 N55 or N54 BMS dynos to this tune on an F10. There are too many different parameters. Which is why we are not seeing the gains the guys with the E9x N55s are seeing.

Previous BMW's: 87' 528e / 04' 325i / 07' 335i / 08' 335i / 08' 535i
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
You cannot compare any E90/E92 N55 or N54 BMS dynos to this tune on an F10. There are too many different parameters. Which is why we are not seeing the gains the guys with the E9x N55s are seeing.
Just curious...what are the different parameters between the N55 in an F30 and N55 in an F10?