Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Leather Touchup

Hello all,

I need a suggestion on how to correct a problem I have with my leather covered door armrest on my 2005 BMW X3. See attached picture, is there a DIY touchup kit I can but with will prevent me from having the entire are rest refinished?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	356837  
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
Well one of two things might work. In our Mercedes's about that same color we get marks and it actually ends up being dirt or oil from our hands so with a rib it comes off.

Now in my 2002 BMW I had those marks and I bought a leather kit from bavauto.com which was in my black leather color and covered it up completely. Not sure if they have lighter colored kits or not. Gl
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: '09 535i; bought back
This same thing happened to my E60 535i along the edge of the center arm rest as it coursed up towards the shifter. I'm sure it was self inflicted (by me) from over-cleaning. In those days I always/only used the BMW leather cleaner, but it still happened and looked terrible, as though a layer of the material had been wiped away.

I'm now a big fan of Swissvax, and they sell a leather healer. Its pricey, but Swissvax stuff is worth the money, in my experience. Here's a link: http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...e=LEATHER-CARE

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski69 View Post
This same thing happened to my E60 535i along the edge of the center arm rest as it coursed up towards the shifter. I'm sure it was self inflicted (by me) from over-cleaning. In those days I always/only used the BMW leather cleaner, but it still happened and looked terrible, as though a layer of the material had been wiped away.

I'm now a big fan of Swissvax, and they sell a leather healer. Its pricey, but Swissvax stuff is worth the money, in my experience. Here's a link: http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...e=LEATHER-CARE

Good luck.
You are right it was self inflicted from rubbing to aggressive from cleaning. Thanks for your suggestion I will check it out.

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT