Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderSteer View Post
Your role as the self imposed gatekeeper of the F30 forum is getting very tired. This is an internet discussion forum and is not restricted to F30 drivers. Everyone is entitled to post here whether you happen to like it or not and it is not to you to police this forum and tell people what forums they should or should not be posting in or what they are and are not allowed to post.

When you had an E93 that was the best BMW model ever man made and 4 door sedans were low status "family grocery getters". When you didn't have a nav system or any options they weren't necessary because if they didn't impress Mr. and Mrs Camry what was the point. When you had an M-Sport that was the greatest thing since sliced bread. When you had a comparatively slow 328 with the GM transmission anyone who wanted more acceleration was a speed demon that wanted to "race soccer moms in school zones."

If you want to control an Internet forum a man of your means should have no trouble starting one of his own. Then you can ban anyone who disagrees with you or who does not think that the F30 is the greatest car ever created.

And you should be the last person here to talk about insecurities.
And what body style BMW do you drive right now? Thought so.

And the old BJ doesn't do that anymore, he grew up like many of others here should. I am not policing this forum, but I will defend my car when it is attacked by ignorant people who have never even taken a test drive.

The endless F30 bashing is getting far more tired than those of us who occasionally try to defend it. You don't see any F30 owners over in the E90 forum posting our opinions of that car do you? So why is it acceptable in the inverse?

We are all BMW owners. We just bought our F30's very recently, most of us have them not more than six months. Show us some respect. Take your negativity and your bashing to a different forum. Many of us think it is not appropriate here.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Usual Suspect

Mein Auto: 750 Li Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
And what body style BMW do you drive right now? Thought so.

And the old BJ doesn't do that anymore, he grew up like many of others here should. I am not policing this forum, but I will defend my car when it is attacked by ignorant people who have never even taken a test drive.

The endless F30 bashing is getting far more tired than those of us who occasionally try to defend it. You don't see any F30 owners over in the E90 forum posting our opinions of that car do you? So why is it acceptable in the inverse?

We are all BMW owners. We just bought our F30's very recently, most of us have them not more than six months. Show us some respect. Take your negativity and your bashing to a different forum. Many of us think it is not appropriate here.

BJ
The only one doing any bashing here is you. I have never said anything negative about the F30. Any the body styles of all of our BMWs (we have 3 in the family) is the latest body style.

2014 B7 Alpina (daily driver Mass.), 2014 Maserati Gran Cabrio (daily driver Florida), 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (wife's car Mass), 2014 AMG S63 (wife's car Florida)

1969 Camaro Z28, 1964 Jaguar E-Type, Caterham Super 7 (track car), 1957 Thunderbird, 1954 Jaguar XK120, 1958 Corvette, 1955 MGTF, 1965 Shelby GT350, Superformance 427 Cobra, 1955 Chevrolet Nomad, 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe, 2001 BMW Z8,2014 McLaren 650S,

Last edited by UnderSteer; 01-09-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
also i fail to see myself falling into the fanboy with an e92 category because I had the choice of waiting for the f30.

When i saw it, I chose the e92 LCI.
I made the same decision. Test drove the F30 and E92 back to back, preferred the latter. Looks better, handles better, and no new model teething problems. The tech package of the F30 would have been nice to have though.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
The biggest problem with the 2007 E90 is that it looks like it was designed by a Japanese Pachinko Factory, the Bangle stuff destroying the front and rear of an otherwise pedestrian car.

The good news? You can buy a 2007 E90 for $4,800 in any used car lot in America. Might buy one myself for my 13 year old son to cut his teeth enroute to a learner's permit.

BJ
That's real nice. With that attitude, I'm sure your son is very well adjusted.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Sounds like BJ got to you. Try to lighten up a bit. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
Quote:
The funny thing is, outside of a BMW forum, most people have a hard time telling the E90 and F30 apart and have no idea which is the newer model. Unless you look for specific details (e.g. the headlights), from the causal glance they look so similar.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I think the F30 has more of the "generic BMW" look than the E90 did. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing and I actually prefer the look of the F30, particularly when compared to the pre-LCI E90, but as I have stated before I am not on the market for a small sedan so although I am sure the E90 is a very nice car I will not be buying one.

I am following this forum because I may be interested in the 4 Series when it comes out.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
The only one doing any bashing here is you. I have never said anything negative about the F30. Any the body styles of all of our BMWs (we have 3 in the family) is the latest body style.
Respectfully, I am not referring to you and you are entering a discussion about motives that doesn't concern you. There are 3-4 posters who invade many threads with their anti-F30 views and it's tiresome. You are not one of them.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously bringing my family into this?

I am not the BJ that used to be a jerk in the E90 forums. Those days are over, have been for quite awhile. You need to find someone else to entertain yourself on, and I'm not that person. I'm an F30 owner who enjoys discussing the F30 with other owners and helping new F30 owners with answers to their questions. That's it.

Say nothing about my son, or me, again.

BJ

Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I think the F30 has more of the "generic BMW" look than the E90 did. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing and I actually prefer the look of the F30, particularly when compared to the pre-LCI E90, but as I have stated before I am not on the market for a small sedan so although I am sure the E90 is a very nice car I will not be buying one.

I am following this forum because I may be interested in the 4 Series when it comes out.

CA
I agree, in fact, when I see E39's and E36's I see the flatter hood, the wider front, the cleaner lines, and that long-nose/short-tail design. One of the things I appreciate about the F30 is that it's lost some "bad bling" in terms of body surfaces and picked up some "good bling" in the form of the grill, the lower facia, the chrome bits, etc.

I'll be looking at the 4 Series as well. Two years from now I may be in the market for a hardtop convertible again, the kids being older and driving on their own, a 4-seater with 2-doors may work for me again.

BJ

Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
I guess I am the only one who thinks the car is actually perfect as it is. Quite honestly when I first saw it I thought they screwed up the design with the lights touching the grille but it grew on me and I accepted it completely when I first saw the car in real life. The design stands out, it's bold and yet very distinctive and classically addictive for bmw. I wouldn't change a thing.
That's what guys say when they marry ugly chicks. Some say love is blind, but its just rationalization.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 01-09-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
Quote:
Viva La Fanboy!
This is my first bimmer. Since I could have afforded one brand new, there's no way I was going to buy a used E90 although I loved them. And when the successor is released I'm sure I'll lust over that too and upgrade. I don't see where you people get this "fanboy" nonsense from. They're all bimmers. Although, it appears you wish you had one.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I like 3 series

best looking series of the whole BMW fleet

5GT possibly the worst looking
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Your role as the self imposed gatekeeper of the F30 forum is getting very tired. This is an internet discussion forum and is not restricted to F30 drivers. Everyone is entitled to post here whether you happen to like it or not and it is not to you to police this forum and tell people what forums they should or should not be posting in or what they are and are not allowed to post.

When you had an E93 that was the best BMW model ever man made and 4 door sedans were low status "family grocery getters". When you didn't have a nav system or any options they weren't necessary because if they didn't impress Mr. and Mrs Camry what was the point. When you had an M-Sport that was the greatest thing since sliced bread. When you had a comparatively slow 328 with the GM transmission anyone who wanted more acceleration was a speed demon that wanted to "race soccer moms in school zones."

If you want to control an Internet forum a man of your means should have no trouble starting one of his own. Then you can ban anyone who disagrees with you or who does not think that the F30 is the greatest car ever created.

And you should be the last person here to talk about insecurities.
What else is a man/woman supposed to do when he/she secretly hates him/herself for driving an entry-level base grocery-getter sedan? When they're not sure how they can show their face in the community? When they're always looking over their shoulders to see if the neighbors are not-so-secretly snickering at them?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
I've been saying that since the F30 was introduced, "afterthought ". Its horrible but after awhile it grows on you some what. As far as the rest of the design I like it.
cheers
vern
I've never understood these afterthought feelings. I dislike nav screens that are being swallowed up by the dash. I think the design in the f30 is refreshing and looks great. They certainly don't design cars and throw in idrive screens as an afterthought.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinipirate View Post
This is my first bimmer. Since I could have afforded one brand new, there's no way I was going to buy a used E90 although I loved them. And when the successor is released I'm sure I'll lust over that too and upgrade. I don't see where you people get this "fanboy" nonsense from. They're all bimmers. Although, it appears you wish you had one.
I certainly wouldn't call posting in a dedicated f30 forum in a thread specifically about styling that you like the f30 styling being a fanboy. But, alas, being the Internet, people just like to start arguments. Oh well.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
I've never understood these afterthought feelings. I dislike nav screens that are being swallowed up by the dash. I think the design in the f30 is refreshing and looks great. They certainly don't design cars and throw in idrive screens as an afterthought.
The IDrive screen in the F30 may look like an "afterthought" to some people" but looking like an afterthought and actually being an afterthought are two very different things. Since the F30 interior was a new design and since BMW had been putting iDrive screens in cars for many years I think it is rather obvious that iDrive was going to be an integral part of the design of the interior and the interior was designed with the iDrive screen in mind. I personally am not that crazy about it but it certainly would not be a deal breaker.

As for being more in the line of the drivers sight than the screen on the E90 I think that is irrelevant. If you are looking at the screen you are not looking at the road ahead and the 1 or 2 inches higher that the screen in the E90 is mounted does not change that fact. You can easily demonstrate this easily with a simple experiment. Sit about 25 feet from your television and then hold a laptop computer at arms length and focus on the computer screen. You will not Br able to see what is going on on the television without looking up and refocusing. You will find that holding the laptop a few inches higher or lower makes no difference. There will be no position where you will be able to focus on the TV (i.e. the road ahead) and the laptop screen (i.e. iDrive) at the same time.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Are you seriously bringing my family into this?

I am not the BJ that used to be a jerk in the E90 forums. Those days are over, have been for quite awhile. You need to find someone else to entertain yourself on, and I'm not that person. I'm an F30 owner who enjoys discussing the F30 with other owners and helping new F30 owners with answers to their questions. That's it.

Say nothing about my son, or me, again.

BJ
If you start it by bringing yourself, your wife, your mistress and your son into the forum discussions, then it is a fair game.

Just because you keep saying you have changed, doesn't mean people will believe you.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
When Navs first came out (a decade ago), they definitely were slamming them into the car as an afterthought. All car companies were guilty of it. Nobody wanted to be left behind, and many interior designs back then just weren't conducive to the Nav screens.

Today it's different. Nav displays are an integral part of interior designs.

I took an f30 out for a test drive during the night, and the Nav system was absolutely wonderful. In day light hours, I could see why some people might think the Nav was put in as an afterthought. I thought the same thing the first time I saw it, but when driving, it's in the absolute perfect position as far as Nav systems go.

WORST NAV SYSTEM EVER = E46
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
The "afterthought" comment was made by people who think the nav unit should be more integrated and have a more custom built look. It is a personal taste issue. I suspect a lot of us remembered back when most cheap cars did not have nav units, people bought aftermarket GPS units then glued them on the top of the dash boards. That might have caused some image issues with this new design.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Usual Suspect

Mein Auto: 750 Li Xdrive
Quote:
I certainly wouldn't call posting in a dedicated f30 forum in a thread specifically about styling that you like the f30 styling being a fanboy. But, alas, being the Internet, people just like to start arguments. Oh well.
I don't think that is being a fanboy either. This is the F30 forum of a BMW enthusiasts web site and it should be expected that people who own F30s will tend to be enthusiastic about them. Where the fanboyism comes into play is when anyone who dares to express a negative opinion of the F30 or who dares to praise one of its competitors is beaten down, ridiculed, told they are driving old, out of style cars and asked to leave the forum. This type of behavior is childish and uncalled for.

The F30 is a new relatively new model and many here who presently drive E90s, and particularly those who are leasing, will very likely be seriously considering replacing them with F30 when their leases run out. There is nothing wrong with asking questions and/or expressing legitimate concerns about the new model or stating that there may be some things about the old model that you may prefer.

Granted there are some posters who are repeating the same criticisms over and over in many threads and that also adds nothing of substance but sometimes it is best to exhibit restraint and maturity and take the high road,

2014 B7 Alpina (daily driver Mass.), 2014 Maserati Gran Cabrio (daily driver Florida), 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (wife's car Mass), 2014 AMG S63 (wife's car Florida)

1969 Camaro Z28, 1964 Jaguar E-Type, Caterham Super 7 (track car), 1957 Thunderbird, 1954 Jaguar XK120, 1958 Corvette, 1955 MGTF, 1965 Shelby GT350, Superformance 427 Cobra, 1955 Chevrolet Nomad, 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe, 2001 BMW Z8,2014 McLaren 650S,
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
If you start it by bringing yourself, your wife, your mistress and your son into the forum discussions, then it is a fair game.

Just because you keep saying you have changed, doesn't mean people will believe you.
That was a bunch of jokes 3˝ years old.

Start believing.

My discussion with the other poster does not concern you.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-09-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
The "afterthought" comment was made by people who think the nav unit should be more integrated and have a more custom built look. It is a personal taste issue. I suspect a lot of us remembered back when most cheap cars did not have nav units, people bought aftermarket GPS units then glued them on the top of the dash boards. That might have caused some image issues with this new design.
Well, this is my third car with factory nav. First two were a 2007 Lexus GS 350, a 2010 Lexus ES350 and now the Bimmer. Without a doubt, the Bimmer nav is by far the easiest to glance at and see where we are. Not only the height of the screen, but more inportantly to me, the tilt towards the driver makes in infinitely easier to see.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Unfortunately, it concerns all of us.

Please adjust your posting style to expressing your opinions without deriding others. Your opinions are valid, your incessant insults are not. Others' opinions are validly expressed as well - regardless of the car they own.

While others' posts can be inappropriate at times, the others will back off the instant you do.

Try it. It will be a great experiment in group behavior. Embrace your inner Buddha.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
That was a bunch of jokes 3˝ years old.

Start believing.

BJ
Someone who happens to like the F30 m-sport front treatment more than the F30 sportline front treatment, does not concern you either, since you have neither.