Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 645 ci
6 series warped brake discs - BMW say its my alloys?

I have just had to pay 550 (again) for my third set of from discs/pads in less than 7000 miles. The BMW dealer replaced my first new set under warranty as they became warped at 4000 miles. the second set did the same at a further 3000 miles - but because they had already been replaced under warranty BMW (rightly so) decided to investigate further. The outcome was that they say they have data which suggests that if your alloys are repainted it creates disc warping!!! I had mine done by a BMW dealer at 100 eack (acid dipped, any cracks welded, re-spun, painted etc and in their words "better than when they left the factory) - how unfair is that?
Anyone had a similar issue?
Ads by Google
Old 01-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
That sounds like total BS to me. If you warped your rotors at 3K miles, you are either dragging your foot on the brake pedal, stopping to hard to fast, or the brake ducts are not getting air to the rotors. What kind of pads & rotors did the dealer install?

Somethings not right!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
I have heard some dealer excuses in my time but that beats many of them............ it is rubbish to imply the wheels are at fault.
For rotors to warp you are talking about excessive heat, have you ever smelt your rotors being hot, it is a very distinctive odour, if I drive with some gusto I definitely heat the brakes up.
One of the lessons I learned from my brake overhaul is that the rotors/discs have to be seated correctly before tightening the single screw, When you say all rotors does that also mean both front and rear, or just one but replaced in pairs?????
If your brakes were continually binding you would feel it when you drove the car......... I do think one issue could be with the hydraulics which manage the brakes the anti skid and DSC etc.
As far as their evidence is concerned get them to show and explain their rational ??

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
This has to be the worst excuse I've heard from a dealer EVER. If someone said this to me, after I finished laughing 'till I cried, I'd ask them to call BMW head office and repeat that to them.

DO NOT let them get away with that pathetic excuse to not properly diagnose what is going on with your brakes.

A few things that I can think of that might cause warping discs this often:
1) A problem with the caliper (piston binding)
2) A problem with the caliper carrier (bent and causing brakes to drag)
3) Bad wheel bearing (puts rotor out of alignment and it will drag on pads)
4) You are driving with your foot on the brake
5) You are braking too lightly and too early (braking hard and late is easiest on the brakes BTW)
6) You live at the top of a mountain and the drive down every day overheats the brakes.

Contrary to popular belief, you cannot brake too hard or too late. The less time you have your foot on the brake pedal the less heat is generated.

[EDIT] I bet their explanation will be the fact that the painted hub of the refinished wheel will not transfer heat as well as an unfinished wheel which has a bare aluminum wheel to rotor hub interface. (the wheel is acting as a heat sink) Which is rubbish based on how tight the wheel is clamped to the rotor which results in excellent heat transfer painted or not. If they do say this then ask them why they simply did not sand off the paint on the back of the wheel hub since THEY refinished the wheel and "have evidence" that this causes disc warping.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 01-16-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 AM

6 series warped brake discs - BMW say its my alloys?

Thanks Guys. I intend to take this up - and I do think it could be due to little and light use (my occasional motorway driving and not much else). I had the bearings changed recently too so that cannot be a contributing factor. And it could be the calipers. First thing is to get a refund and spend the money on new calipers?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:41 PM

update

Next chapter - I contacted the company that refurbished the alloys and they informed me they only do them to factory standard - so no paint on hub faces or extra paint on insides etc. So I had my wheels taken off and guess what - no paint as described! So the BMW dealers story of refurbished wheels causing brake disc warp does not apply here. Rang them today and they said they would speak to Head Office and get back to me. So they obviously didnt even check my wheels in the first place - I had them photographed today whilst off the car.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I have had warped rotors on several cars over the years including my 335 and in every case it was due to the guy who installed the tires over tightening the wheel bolts. Many places will not take the time to tighten the bolts evenly and to the proper spec. Hopefully a BMW dealer wouldn't screw that up but I have had some shoddy work done from my dealer so they aren't above that. The paint excuse sounds like more BS than anything I have ever heard.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 AM

Latest update - despite my BMW main dealer promising to get back to me 2 weeks ago with their head office report about "refurbished alloys causing disc warping" I have heard nothing. So I spoke to servicing reception 4 times over a period of a week requesting an update - heard nothing. So I drove 20 miles and took a half day off work and spoke to servicing guy who promissed to ring me that afternoon and get the report. You guest it........heard nothing!! So now I am e-mailing the head of servicing to see what he says. It's interesting that BMW post over 100 awards on their web site for effeciency dynamics and model awards etc but no awards for customer service. They could learn from their obvious success on effeciency dynamics and improve on customer service efficiency.
We wait for the next installment - oh and the brakes are fantastic but I'm nervous using them as we still dont know the root-cause of the previous two sets warping?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Exclamation 645 binding brakes

I have fitted 4 sets of discs/pads over 10,000 miles. Brakes work fine over short distances but both front discs warp on longer journeys. I have checked the calipers and lines, changed the master cylinder and servo (2nd hand) to no avail. Over the last two longer journeys seem to be having potential success by turning off the DSC before setting off. Fault was not so apparent when I bought the car because it was fitted with the nasty BT runflats which partially masked the fault. Does anyone know if some DSC faults can 'hide' in dealer access only menus?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 PM

My guesses:
  • problem with the "brake dry" feature which is controlled by the ABS unit
  • brake caliper piston problem
  • bad bearing or other bent suspension parts
  • problem with the guide pins - dirty, swollen rubber guide bushing
  • other problem with the caliper - cleanliness, corrosion etc...

Are you using all OEM parts (pads and rotors)? Have you tried reading codes for anything related to ABS?

If you have a problem with one of the DSC/ABC control systems it will difficult to diagnose. I think the first thing I would do is grab an infrared temperature gun and check the rotor temps after a drive on the highway to confirm they are overheating while driving on the highway and not somewhere else (like in the city).

If you confirm the overheating is happening on the highway I would first try pulling fuses on the ABS/DSC systems and re-test. If this fixes overheating start testing/replacing units.

If the brakes are still overheating I would completely disassemble and clean/lube the entire front calipers and have the bearings checked. Also check for bent suspension parts. Is your front tire wear even?

If cleaning does not work I would replace the calipers with rebuilt units, they are not that expensive - about $50 each.

Last edited by Yorgi; 01-09-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Michael

Hi! If it is binding brakes due to DSC etc, have you put the car on axles stand with all wheels off the ground, with the engine on, pump the brake peddle as though driving, then and go round each wheel to see if it is the control circuit binding, you should be able to turn the fronts at least, and with the hand brake off the rears, subject to the Park of the transmission, did you adjust the hand brake at all??? and did you change the brake fluid?????
I have done a lot of work on the callipers due to squealing brakes, have refurbished the callipers with new rubber guides and piston dust covers etc. Some of the rubber grommets are a pig to do, easy to get out, but you need to be a weight lifter to put the new ones in, if you don't do it first time Lol.... The dust covers are a different design on the 6 series, but can be done without the special tools.....

Last edited by 645/333; 01-10-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
That is the worst excuse I have ever heard from a dealer. They think that us 6'ers are complete morons to believe that!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 650 Vert
Yeah sounds like your getting JACKED, that just doesn't sound right, the brakes on the 6ers are very heavy duty, so useless there is a malfunction or an error of riding the brakes they should last a hell of a lot longer than 3K miles

ArthorB you need to have a competent mechanic get to the bottom of this or whatz to prevent it from occurring again; 3-5K miles down the road..............Good Luck Brother!!
2004 645Ci vert Triple Black | Sport Package| Every Option | Gone
1995 Ferrari 348 Spider Triple Black | 18 Speedlines | Tubi Exhaust | Gone
1987 Porsche 930 Slant Nose- Triple Black | Ruf wheels & Exhaust | Gone
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Binding brakes 645

Thanks for some of your replies.
To recap on work carried out:
1. brake fluid has been changed (along with master cylinder)
2. on return from longer journey, car can be pushed along easily in neutral
3. no user error codes coming up at all
4. one set of genuine disc/pads fitted (set #3 which lasted 50% longer), the rest pattern due to cost
5. still not completely sure about DSC but with it turned off disc warping seems at least reduced, possibly illiminated. Need to do more miles to be sure.
6. vehicle has been through x4 mot's (government tests in UK) with no advisories to suspension.
7. faults completely gone when new discs fitted until the first 200+ mile journey
8. have only tried checking disc heat with temp probe since turning DSC off, both discs were at nearly ambient temp after leaving 100 miles of highway to service station with only gearbox and handbrake.
9. vehicle always pulls up straight even when discs warped.

Perhaps it's time to change to a 650 or M6 anyway!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 PM

If the disc temps are OK after pulling off the highway I do not think the overheating is related to highway driving.

DSC mostly involves the rear wheels and it's your front discs that are warping, so I also doubt this has anything to do with DSC, unless you have a wheel speed sensor issue that is causing the DSC to grab the front wheel but you would definitely feel that happen plus it would likely only happen on one side.

Note that braking too gently is a very common cause of warping rotors. Braking firmly for a short distance is much easier on the rotors compared to a long gentle braking period.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Michael

Hi! Just to try to help ? You say your disks are warping, but in order to try to help you as a number of guys have made recommendations! Can you describe the symptoms you are experiencing and when they happen? This may give more of an idea!!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
This has to be the worst excuse I've heard from a dealer EVER. If someone said this to me, after I finished laughing 'till I cried, I'd ask them to call BMW head office and repeat that to them.

DO NOT let them get away with that pathetic excuse to not properly diagnose what is going on with your brakes.

A few things that I can think of that might cause warping discs this often:
1) A problem with the caliper (piston binding)
2) A problem with the caliper carrier (bent and causing brakes to drag)
3) Bad wheel bearing (puts rotor out of alignment and it will drag on pads)
4) You are driving with your foot on the brake
5) You are braking too lightly and too early (braking hard and late is easiest on the brakes BTW)
6) You live at the top of a mountain and the drive down every day overheats the brakes.

Contrary to popular belief, you cannot brake too hard or too late. The less time you have your foot on the brake pedal the less heat is generated.

[EDIT] I bet their explanation will be the fact that the painted hub of the refinished wheel will not transfer heat as well as an unfinished wheel which has a bare aluminum wheel to rotor hub interface. (the wheel is acting as a heat sink) Which is rubbish based on how tight the wheel is clamped to the rotor which results in excellent heat transfer painted or not. If they do say this then ask them why they simply did not sand off the paint on the back of the wheel hub since THEY refinished the wheel and "have evidence" that this causes disc warping.

Get em Yorgi

...and if that doesn't work try this

HUD, Comfort Access

Old 02-15-2013, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: LCI e60 3.0d M sport
Hi
Did you manage to solve your problem with warping discs? Reason I'm asking is because I've got an exactly the same problem on my 530d Msport 2008! I'm on my 3rd set of discs and problem still remains. Got the thrust arms replaced as was told that it could be them but still nothing. Problem comes back after around 1.5k miles. At the moment I'm thinking of replacing brake calipers if nobody gives me a better solution.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 335d Coupe since new
I have just been told the same thing about refurbished wheels after discs have warped after less than 3k. Away to have wheels checked to see if there is paint on inside. It seems to be a common dealer explanation but I can't see how a layer of paint can make such a difference. I'll report back when I know more.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 650I, GL450, Escalade
Went through 2 pairs of OEM bmw front rotors within 300 miles. BMW blamed my wheel spacers after the 2nd set. Changed to stoptech crossdrilled front rotors and have not had an issue since!

2012 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes GL450

2010 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 HP SC

2006 Black Sapphire Metallic 650i 6MT SOLD

2008 White Diamond Tricoat Cadillac Escalade SOLD