Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 PM
MSK 530 2002

Send a message via ICQ to saqibkhan
Mein Auto: BMW 530i 2002
Engine Failsafe Program-Idle Valve-low response from Accelarator

Guyz,

I need your urgent help please, I recently changed MAF and Cam Sensors with Fuel Pump .... and now my car is giving Error Code for Idle Control Valve ..... I tried changing that also but still error is same .... Moreover, after driving a mile, getting message of Engine Fail Safe Prog on Dash and instantly when I get this message the response from accelrator padel goes low ..... I mean Even I push the pedal to full, the car accelarates very very slow .... can anybody tell me what could be the reason ... Car is with my mechanic and he just call me to say he wants to repair its catalytic converters ...... i tried finding out on previous forums also but couldn't find anything .... could you guyz explain me in layman language please as I am new to BMW world ....

Thanks alot in advance
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM
MSK 530 2002

Shoot I forgot to give my car's background ... .very sorry for that .... its E39 530, 2002 done 150,000kms .....
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Tell your mechanic to explain the connection between the catalytic converters and the idle control valve. If he can't, find another mechanic who can.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 PM
MSK 530 2002

You are right bro!
I inquired him and he said there are total of three errors, one is regarding to catalytic converter, other is ICV and Oxy-Sensors .... he already tried changing ICV but still the problem remain same .... so he is now moving to catalytic converter saying that may be the filter is chocked ..... but still I dont know the connection between that filter and my problem of getting Engine Fail Safe Prog and least response from accelerator padel.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:36 PM
MSK 530 2002

I really am fed of all this !!! running after mechanics and getting most unfruitful results ..... I stays in UAE and here finding a good mechanic is as easier as to hang yourself ..... the agency itself sucks .... if I took it to agency, i will need to pay thousands of dollars and I am quite sure that also for nothing .... seeking advises from you guyz ... honestly .... I need to diagnose it myself and then ask my mechanic to replace that particular item ... that is all I can expect from mechanics here ....
Your useful advises will really be appreciated .....
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Removed the trhottlebody and give it a good cleaning--that might be all that is wrong with it--after 150k miles it probably has carbon build up and just needs cleaning for the part to work correctly.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM
MSK 530 2002

Thanks Poolman, it was indeed the problem, I tried changing the whole throttle body also .... My mechanic fixed Catalytic Converters ... now all the errors are cleared ..... but the problem in the car still is same ..... after few kms it gives the error of Engine Fail-Safe Prog and after that accelerator of car dies ...... If I am on a speed of 100km/hr, I can continue with the same speed but when I bring the car to stop and pull it up again, it takes too much time to again get back to 100 kms/hr ..... my mechanic, I feel is unable to understand the problem .... the only error I am getting now is ¤dle speed control valve-Mechanical Fault .....He already tried replacing the Valve but still no success ....
Please friends pull me out of this depressing stage .... I recently bought and it is really driving me craczy .... Though I prefer to cry in BMW rather than smiling in Toyota but I need to get out of it before my tears get dried .....
Thanks in advance
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
If you tried to use a different throttlebody, that won't work--they have to be programed to the car when installed--if you did that--it might cause the one that was in the car to need reprogramed--Put your old throttlebody back in the car--if it still doesn't work--take it to the dealer and have them hook up the GT1 scanner and see what it needs--best I can do for you--good luck
Might try this also--carry a code reader with you for awhile and when the code comes up--read and erase the code--that will keep the problem of engine shutdown away

Last edited by poolman; 01-12-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP,02 540i,06 530xiT
I struggled with the engine failsafe mode too where the throttle pedal would become unresponsive as the engine would oscillate between 800-1500rpm. I tried replacing, then cleaning the MAF without success. Finally, I just did a throttle reset and seems to have fixed the problem. No issues for last 13k miles. Put key to ignition 2 for 10 secs, then off 10 secs, then start car.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM
MSK 530 2002

Guyz .... I did what you said ... I asked my Mechanic to reset it properly also I myself did as advised by Tomjrau ..... and to my surpise, no message since last evening I have drove about 30 miles and no message till now I feel relieved .....
Hopefully, it wont come again ..... you guys rock
Thanks alot ... thank you very very much .... my first experience of being on any forum turned out great ..... thank you so very much ......
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 AM
MSK 530 2002

guys ..... Its to reconfirm ..... Its been a week almost .... I drove about 1000 kms ..... and I am not getting any message of Engine Fail Safe Program ...... Hence,

If anybody reading this post later, facing the same problem of gettting message of Engine Fail Safe Prog and once the message arises accelaration of car dies instantly and drasctically .... then you must try replacing the Throttle Body and get it reprogrammed ..... Reporgramming/Resetting is mandatory otherwise you still will face the problem ..... I have wrote that on my chest, replacing anything needs resetting

Good Luck and Enjoy your Ride ....
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP,02 540i,06 530xiT
Or in my case, I didn't replace any components and just did the throttle reset procedure which solved my issues.

Glad it helped you out.