Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 323iC
Talking OBC Ignition Lockout code forgotten?

I am new here and thought I'd share something I recently learned with all of you.

I had my car parked in a parking lot and decided to set the ignition lockout code on the OBC. I guess I didn't really need to, but it is a toy that I've never had on another car!

Well, I came out to go for lunch and punched in the code, and I either mis-keyed the number when I put it in, or forgot what it was (I thought I knew it, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be), but the OBC wouldn't accept the code. I was stuck and couldn't get the car started.

The only thing I could think was that I'd have to tow the car to the BMW dealer and pay big bucks to have the code reset or something like that. I thought that I'd disconnect the battery and try to clear the code that way.

To make a long story a little less long, what you have to do is to disconnect the battery (I disconnected the negative and then the positive and shorted them together and then reconnected them). Then put the key in the run position and watch the OBC count down for 15 minutes. DO NOT turn the key off during this time, or the counter will restart at 15 minutes again. After the 15 minutes you will be able to start the car.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this with you, as I'm sure if it happened to me, it could happen to you!
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 325is
how do i do the ignition lockout 94' 325is
Old 10-17-2006, 07:09 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
lets hope no car theives read these pages hehehe

Good time though....god i wish my OBC did more than tell the time and warn me my engine is gonna explode.....

Edirty6 for life
Old 10-17-2006, 11:28 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Don't worry, there is a much faster way to defeat the CODE function.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Still here

good point John

a friend of mine fitted a high-end model alarm a few weeks ago and challenged his cousin (convicted car thief) to bypass it and drive off....he did it in 86 seconds

gutted!

Edirty6 for life
Old 10-19-2006, 08:39 PM

Well, JohnF, I have no doubt! I'm thinking that the code will help protect against the casual joy rider. Let's face it, if a real pro wants your car, it's his!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:16 AM
Still here

too true

Edirty6 for life
Old 10-20-2006, 05:01 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by drverdon View Post
Well, JohnF, I have no doubt! I'm thinking that the code will help protect against the casual joy rider. Let's face it, if a real pro wants your car, it's his!
True enough, but I really wouldn't put too much faith in the CODE function. If you want to protect the car, I would retrofit BMW's EWS-II system (or something comparable) if the car doesn't have that already. Transponder EWS systems have been very effective in Germany and cut the auto theft rate to a quarter of what it was about ten years ago.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740 IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by drverdon View Post
I am new here and thought I'd share something I recently learned with all of you.

I had my car parked in a parking lot and decided to set the ignition lockout code on the OBC. I guess I didn't really need to, but it is a toy that I've never had on another car!

Well, I came out to go for lunch and punched in the code, and I either mis-keyed the number when I put it in, or forgot what it was (I thought I knew it, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be), but the OBC wouldn't accept the code. I was stuck and couldn't get the car started.

The only thing I could think was that I'd have to tow the car to the BMW dealer and pay big bucks to have the code reset or something like that. I thought that I'd disconnect the battery and try to clear the code that way.

To make a long story a little less long, what you have to do is to disconnect the battery (I disconnected the negative and then the positive and shorted them together and then reconnected them). Then put the key in the run position and watch the OBC count down for 15 minutes. DO NOT turn the key off during this time, or the counter will restart at 15 minutes again. After the 15 minutes you will be able to start the car.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this with you, as I'm sure if it happened to me, it could happen to you!
Wow, i am going trough this, car in the garage, used the toy CODE hope I can figure it out tomorrow. 3 tries and the car shuts off. I have a 740 iL.....
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740 IL
I had my 740 iL in the garage, before leaving town did the CODE, got back today....tried it and cammot start car. I think I was rushing it, 3 timee locks you out.....should I try the battery thing? Hope tomorrow I will try again, any suggestions? I have 3 tries, maybee I pressed one # wrong out of the 4....... 740 iL, 1998 E38 no navi..just hope it is not mayor and I am not towing the Flagship anywhere....
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM

Lockout code forgotten

I don't think disconnecting the battery will do you much good. I don't think it did for me. I think what you have to do is turn the ignition on and let the counter count down. It was a long time ago, and that car is gone now. Got a 2007 e93 now!

Hope this helps!