Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-30-2009, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: 320D Sports Touring
E46 320d Touring Rear Window Opening

Has anyone experienced an intermittently opening rear glass window on an E46 touring? When the car is unlocked, the solenoid to release the rear glass window intermittently clicks to open. I'm wondering what options might be available.

Its not the key, as this sometimes happens when I'm driving and the key is in the ignition. I have also tried using my second key, but no success.

If I got out of the car to close the opened rear window (tailgate glass), it would sometimes open itself again before I was able to get back into my car. I discovered that by locking all doors before getting out of the car to close the glass worked! The glass would remain closed and would not open again, while the doors were locked.

After a while of this, I deiced to look in the fuse box, where I discovered a fuse for the door locks that was marked 'Touring only'. So I removed this, and this disabled the glass locking system completely. Not the glass didn't open itself, but this solution has the side effect of not being able to ever open the tailgate glass!

Now, my second problem. My car alarm goes off for no reason at all at random intervals, sometimes within 20 minutes of been locked, othertimes after 14 hours. At first I thought there was a moth or something in the car that was setting the system off, but the alarm was also activated when locked with the internal sensors switched off. No one was near the car, I was watching it! It was not the key fob as this was sitting on a table and not in my pocket. This problem has happened a lot over the last month and I have started locking the car using the key and not activating the alarm at all. I was out of the country and had left my car at the airport, when I arrived back the battery was dead due to the alarm going off on its own.

Any ideas? Could the first problem be causing the second? I also tried locking the car, waiting a few minutes and then pushing each door, including the tailgate to see if I could set the alarm off, no joy! So it doesn't look like a faulty door switch.
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
It's probably your control unit. I have read here about it. I had same problem(rear hatch window) but it got fixed by changing locking mechanism.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 AM

Mein Auto: 320D Sports Touring
I hate my car

I got the alarm fixed. It was a faulty switch under the bonnet (hood). Apparently this is a very common problem. Once this switched was disconnected, the alarm worked fine. Also, sometimes, after a server, the switch gets pushed down and doesn't make proper contact with the bonnet when it is closed. Someone people said you can adjust the height of the switch, but this wasn't possible in my case.

I also found some info regarding the tailgate (rear window/ boot) glass opening by itself. I just removed the fuse marked 'Door Locks (Touring Only)' or something like that, and it stopped the glass opening itself. However, the down side it that you can't use the glass door at all.

From looking on the Internet, it appears that water is getting into the switch which is causing a short which acts as if someone pressed this switch. Now that I look back to when this problem first starting happening, it was raining a lot!

Its possible to disconnect the switch from the car, there is a wire somewhere in the glove box that you can just remove, this will stop the glass from opening by itself, but will also stop you using the button on the glass to open it, however you can still open the glass using the button on your key.

Now, down to my latest problem (I'm starting to hate my car) I drove 200 miles to my home town over the weekend, while there I was trying to fixed the left hand speaker as it stopped working some time back. I didn't short anything, just looked at the wires and the amp in the boot and I didn't fix the problem either! Anyway, when I got into the car to drive back at the end of the weekend, it wouldn't start. It wouldn't turn over at all, so I just tried to jump start the car. This didn't work at first, but after a few minutes, enough time for my own car batter to charge a little, my car turned over fine, but still wouldn't start. Not a blip. no smoke, nothing, just the starter motor turning and turning until the battery was dead again.

I charged the battery overnight and also checked all the fused in the fuse box and in the morning, still no luck. The car turned over, but wouldn't start. I got a OBD2 16 pin computer and connected, when it tried to read the engine faults, it just said 'err' which means that it was unable to connect to the car computer. Ahhhhh!

I had to abandon my car so I could get back to work by other means.

Anyone know what could be a problem? I was told by a BMW dealer that its more then likely is not the immobilizer. I have posted my second key home today so my parents could try that. It will cost my 250 euro just to get the car towed to the neared BMW dealer, never mind fix it.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: 320D Touring
The switch just under the rear wiper does indeed get moisture in it, this can be gently prized apart, however, watch out for the spring assembly popping out! once separated spray some contact cleaner on both sides of the flexible contact strip, I have just done this on mine and it seems to have stopped opening itself. If this does not cure the problem I will cut the flexible strip off, disabling the tailgate window opening switch until I get round to replacing it (never probably!).
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilooklikeakraut View Post
The switch just under the rear wiper does indeed get moisture in it, this can be gently prized apart, however, watch out for the spring assembly popping out! once separated spray some contact cleaner on both sides of the flexible contact strip, I have just done this on mine and it seems to have stopped opening itself. If this does not cure the problem I will cut the flexible strip off, disabling the tailgate window opening switch until I get round to replacing it (never probably!).
You are responding to a thread that`s been inactive for *four years*....read the dates before posting....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....