Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-01-2013, 02:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328I xdrive
2011 328i garaged for winter

I recently purchased a new 2011 BMW 328i xdrive and just love it (blue water w/oyster black interior; premium package w/sat. radio and heated steering wheel). I think the deal was decent even though it is a couple model years old.
It just so happens my elderly mother lost her ability to drive and I inherited her 2006 Accord. Because of this I decided to garage my new BMW for the winter.
Are there any precautions I should take? Start it once a week? Move it out of the garage once in awhile?
Maybe sounds dumb for some but Keeing my new car looking new is appealing. I'm just a little anal with my cars (the wife may say a lot). My other car is a 1980 MGB LE.
This is my first post....Thanks for listening
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
You certainly want it on a battery tender (search the forum for the one most people here use, or something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00). Were it mine, I would also take it out for a half hour or so on the highway every few weeks to keep everything well lubricated and to discourage the mice from nesting in various places. Putting an appropriate amount of gas stabilizer in the tank would also be a good idea.

Gotta tell you, though. Given the choice between an xDrive with snow tires (what I drive) and an Accord with all-seasons (what one of my partners drives), I know what my choice would be for days when the snow is flying in Massachusetts.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 01-01-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I would drive it for at least half an hour once a week (more if it were mine). BMW does a great job with paint and undercoat so some exposure to the elements is nothing to worry about.

Enjoy this great car!

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Less than a few months? Just park it with a battery tender hooked up (CTEK is popular on most higher-end cars forums).

In 2000 I left an E46 parked outside for over six months while out of the country (no battery tender, just left at uncovered off-Airport storage). Cranked up as normal on my return.

BMW's often have battery issues these days though. Longer than three months think about tires sitting on the same patch for too long and fuel going bad. I put fogging oil in my stored lawn equipment (large-ish tiller that's rarely used etc) + sprayed various areas with WD-40 but have never done it with a car. Did it with a motorcycle left for over a year.

Driving a few miles once a month won't hurt; I try to do it if we leave a 3rd car on the lift for too long .

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 01-01-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiego View Post
I recently purchased a new 2011 BMW 328i xdrive and just love it (blue water w/oyster black interior; premium package w/sat. radio and heated steering wheel). I think the deal was decent even though it is a couple model years old.
It just so happens my elderly mother lost her ability to drive and I inherited her 2006 Accord. Because of this I decided to garage my new BMW for the winter.
Are there any precautions I should take? Start it once a week? Move it out of the garage once in awhile?
Maybe sounds dumb for some but Keeing my new car looking new is appealing. I'm just a little anal with my cars (the wife may say a lot). My other car is a 1980 MGB LE.

Great Scot, man!

You're asking how to store your ultra ride in Mass, known for violent Winter weather, best described as "Subzero!"

I strongly recommend you make it easy on your baby....treat her right.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Why don't you just drive it. It's a car not a museum piece.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Now, Gdiego, I appreciate that the expense of professionally climate controlled garages can be high.

Alternative: DIY

Here's one Northern Wisconsin fellow
, determined to provide the very BEST care for his ride.

I say do it. What could be better than climate control in your own facility? Thus, you are able to care for your machinery every day, the reward of which is evident to you and all who look inside.

A happy new year to ya!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Now, Gdiego, I appreciate that the expense of professionally climate controlled garages can be high.

Alternative: DIY

Here's one Northern Wisconsin fellow
, determined to provide the very BEST care for his ride.

I say do it. What could be better than climate control in your own facility? Thus, you are able to care for your machinery every day, the reward of which is evident to you and all who look inside.

A happy new year to ya!
Lol, only real solution is move to Califorina or anywhere with dry heat. I guess parking the car inside a de-humidified house would work too but we tend to humidify house in winter

This side of a 288 GTO I'd just park it in a covered garage with battery tender My 328 GTS/ F360 will get exactly that treatment (this years vehicle purchase if time permits)

Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Lol, only real solution is move to Califorina or anywhere with dry heat. I guess parking the car inside a de-humidified house would work too but we tend to humidify house in winter

This side of a 288 GTO I'd just park it in a covered garage with battery tender My 328 GTS/ F360 will get exactly that treatment (this years vehicle purchase if time permits)

OPPORTUNITY CLONKS WATERBOY on the NOGGIN!

I will store your BMW with the most ideal climatic conditions existing in these United States!

You've heard of Aircraft Boneyards, where airships are stored without the decay and corrosion unavoidable at other sites - now, that protection can be yours!

Ship you vehicle to Tuscon, AZ, and we'll do the rest. If you wish, we will arrange pickup and transportation from your residence or garage space!

Your ride will reside in an area of pristine solitude, surrounded by Saguaro forests of ethereal beauty, a tranquil and naturally preserving environment made famous by Carlos Castaneda's bestselling travelogues of that area and selected Mexican destinations.

PM for fee schedule and initial prepayment today! Spaces won't last long....Winter's here and demand is high!

And remember, each and every vehicle receives a rememberance of Toltec energy before being returned for your enjoyment - could there be a better way to experience that first Spring ride?

Other vehicles may be accepted after an individual evaluation.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-01-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:

I will store your BMW with the most ideal climatic conditions existing in these United States!

You've heard of Aircraft Boneyards, where airships are stored without the decay and corrosion unavoidable at other sites - now, that protection can be yours!

Ship you vehicle to Tuscon, AZ, and we'll do the rest. If you wish, we will arrange pickup and transportation from your residence or garage space!

Your ride will reside in an area of pristine solitude, surrounded by Saguaro forests of ethereal beauty, a tranquil and naturally preserving environment made famous by Carlos Castaneda's bestselling travelogues of that area and selected Mexican destinations.

PM for fee schedule and initial prepayment today! Spaces won't last long....Winter's here and demand is high!

And remember, each and every vehicle receives a rememberance of Toltec energy before being returned for your enjoyment - could there be a better way to experience that first Spring ride?

Nice, funniest thing I've seen all year so far

Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
So you bought a car to look at when you go into your garage? Take it out and drive it around and show it off.

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:

I absolutely love the reference to Carlos Castaneda

Last edited by CALLAWAY845; 01-01-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callaway845 View Post
i absolutely love the reference to carlos castaneda

Name:  Formal Smiley.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  2.2 KB
Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Its just a car drive it.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328I xdrive
Holy Crap! Didn't mean to start a craze about putting my xdrive in the garage for the winter! Just thought my availability of another car for the winter would save my new Bimmer from salt and winter elements. I'll drive it on better days...BTW...Already have about 4 coats of Collinite wax.
Thganks for the welcome to the board.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Holy Crap! Didn't mean to start a craze about putting my xdrive in the garage for the winter! Just thought my availability of another car for the winter would save my new Bimmer from salt and winter elements. I'll drive it on better days...BTW...Already have about 4 coats of Collinite wax.
Thganks for the welcome to the board.

Now we'll welcome ya to the 'Fest, Gdiego....don't be shy....
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i 6sp
Quote:
Having had both cars, here's my advice: sell the Accord, by winter tires and enjoy the BMW. You'll be safer. If not, buy a battery tender and hook up the battery for the winter so it doesn't die completely. But go with the first option.