Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

View Poll Results: What color interior
Black 22 57.89%
Tan or Black doesn't matter as long as exterior is what you want 16 42.11%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2012, 08:52 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
I've always gone for grey leather, and will probably continue to do so - eyes of the beholder.
I had one vehicle with grey interior and hated it. Never again for me. My favorite: light tan/beige. So yeah. Eye of beholder.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 mustang mach-1
Black or dark charcoal leather with the dark colored head liner. I learned the hard way with a Lakeshore Blue 2005 infinity sport coupe with oatmeal interior. I was a slave to keeping the inside clean.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812MACH1 View Post
Black or dark charcoal leather with the dark colored head liner. I learned the hard way with a Lakeshore Blue 2005 infinity sport coupe with oatmeal interior. I was a slave to keeping the inside clean.
Here's the problem with black where I live (Utah): dust. A friend had black leather and he said he was constantly wiping it with a cloth to get rid of dust. Said he would never get black again (went oyster in his current 7).

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07duramax View Post
Im about to buy my 3 series in the next week if not next couple days and I've found a few that I want with black interior but if I decide on tan interior it doubles the amount of cars I can make offers on. I like tan interior but I'm leaning towards staying with black because I think when it's time to sell it Ill get a wider range of people interested versus the tan interior.
So out of all you on here who wouldn't get tan interior and only black?

The poll is mortally flawed OK.
Missing: Option for 'NEITHER'
A representative sample cannot be obtained with your artificially narrow choices, of which there are two. On or off. Yes or no. Love it or leave it.

Duramax, you've so severely limited your survey that many spurious, or 'joke' responses are likely. Do not think that you have your answer - you have only the resentment of those enjoying Oyster, Corel Red, even Saddle.

Good Lord. Chalk this up to experience, big D, and accomodate the full range of possibility in your next poll, whenever that may be.

Name:  tut_tut.gif
Views: 270
Size:  5.0 KB
Old 12-22-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
The poll is mortally flawed OK.
Missing: Option for 'NEITHER'
A representative sample cannot be obtained with your artificially narrow choices, of which there are two. On or off. Yes or no. Love it or leave it.

Duramax, you've so severely limited your survey that many spurious, or 'joke' responses are likely. Do not think that you have your answer - you have only the resentment of those enjoying Oyster, Corel Red, even Saddle.

Good Lord. Chalk this up to experience, big D, and accomodate the full range of possibility in your next poll, whenever that may be.

Attachment 354185
awww the local comedian lol
Old 12-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:

I like tan interior but I'm leaning towards staying with black because I think when it's time to sell it Ill get a wider range of people interested versus the tan interior.
Get whatever you want!

If you're most concerned about what the next owner of your car wants, buy a Honda Accord LE 4-banger with cloth seats and an automatic. Honda makes most of the decisions about the interior colors. When the time comes, if you have service records and priced it right, it should sell easily.
2008 E91 station wagon 19K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Dunlop Winter Sports, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats, sand, dog hair, several pairs of smelly old running shoes.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:32 PM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Tan looks like fake leather IMHO

2014 BMW 435M-Sport
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Old 12-23-2012, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Tan looks like fake leather IMHO
On the newer cars I'm pretty sure the sides and back are fake on all the colors.

On the X3's anyway:

https://pictures.dealer.com/sonictwi...65b087d7fe.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X3 Interior.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	354322  

Last edited by usaret; 12-23-2012 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-23-2012, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335 coupe
I looked alot at all, grey, black and tan, I have a 2007 335 and LOVE the tan, still looks good. I found that with windows tinted, and black interior, the inside was VERY dark and somewhat somber. Eye of the beholder, but I really like the tan with wood accents. Can't stand tan with brushed metal look. Go with the tan or the red!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Tan is a nice interior color. Goes better with some exterior colors than others. My GF had it in her E46 323Cic and it held up well (100K miles). She currently has it in her E93 328 and it looks nice (though the car only has 44K miles). Being a lighter color the carpet does show the dirt more than darker colors.

As for black interior it's not my thing. I've passed on a number of BMWs because they had black interior.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Vert
Black is probably more practical as it hides the dirt, but I love the tan in my car. I really like the color contrast with the beige and the red. I've seen a red 335i vert at the dealer with the black and it looks good, but the beige looks more elegant in my humble opinion. However, you should get what YOU want and what looks good to you. As my good friend who is a used car dealer says, "That's why Baskin Robbins has 52 flavors". Can't go wrong either way.

2013 335i - ED September 2012
Old 12-25-2012, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 335ic
black sucks.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Mein Auto: MH-60S
What interior, besides beige, has a headliner and pillars that match the leather and carpets?

You want to talk cheap, try a headliner and pillars that don't match the leather and carpet. Absolute hodgepodge! IMHO

Last edited by PartyBoyWA; 12-26-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBoyWA View Post
What interior, besides beige, has a headliner and pillars that match the leather and carpets?

You want to talk cheap, try a headliner and pillars that don't match the leather and carpet. Absolute hodgepodge! IMHO
I believe gray matches everything.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I specifically looked for a car with black sapphire exterior and tan interior when I was buying mine. I think light interiors are less gloomy and the contrast looks good with a black car.

Most of the cars I see are black interiors regardless of the exterior. Personally, I think dark blue with oyster or black with saddle brown are nice, but those combos are more rare. If I was going to get a black interior on a black or silver/space grey car, I'd go for the silver trim. It looks much nicer than the fake wood. The wood looks better with light or tan interior colors, esp the light wood.

Last edited by asus389; 12-26-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM
A pair of I6s

Mein Auto: E93 335i, E90 330i
I had no problems shifting my last two cars which had tan and brown interiors.

Not sure why anyone has trouble keeping their tan interior clean - sold my 330i with 65k+ miles and aside from some very minor wear on the left side of the driver's seat bolster, it was practically flawless and looked brand new.

Black interiors are so common around here - every BMW I look inside is black

2012 Mercedes-Benz E350
Prev: E90 330i, E93 335i, etc.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
... I think light interiors are less gloomy and the contrast looks good with a black car.
+ I've had both an E46 and my E90 335d with tan leather interiors. I don't understand comments about "plasticky" appearance; they're all the same appearance regardless of color.
I got tired of black interior in our '91 525i - yeah, white with black interior looks sharp, but the unrelieved black got tiresome. My son has a black interior in his 335i coupe, but he bought it used and you have to compromise when buying a MT car.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I specifically looked for a car with black sapphire exterior and tan interior when I was buying mine. I think light interiors are less gloomy and the contrast looks good with a black car.
My GF has this combination...it's very nice looking.

Quote:
Most of the cars I see are black interiors regardless of the exterior. Personally, I think dark blue with oyster or black with saddle brown are nice, but those combos are more rare. If I was going to get a black interior on a black or silver/space grey car, I'd go for the silver trim. It looks much nicer than the fake wood. The wood looks better with light or tan interior colors, esp the light wood.
I love the blue with oyster color combination. Someone here on the fest has this combination on ther E93 and it looks amazing in the pictures. I can just imagine what it looks like in person. I have the latter, Saphire Black with Tobacco interior and I routinely receive compliments on how classy it looks. A great color combination. And it's dark where keeping it clean is not as difficult.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: duramax
I know I should get what I want and thats the thing I'd be happy with black or tan but Im leaning more towards black. But ultimately it comes down to if I find the exterior color I want then if its tan interior I'd like to get it at a better price. Id pay a tad bit more for black interior.
But when you jump cars every 2-3 years and you've had 12 vehicles like me of course you think about resale and if having a red/black, white/black BMW is a quicker sell than tan interior than it'll really have to be a hell of a deal for me to get tan.

I think about the big picture
Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
Not sure why anyone has trouble keeping their tan interior clean - sold my 330i with 65k+ miles and aside from some very minor wear on the left side of the driver's seat bolster, it was practically flawless and looked brand new.
I don't understand this complaint either. I vacuum my car every couple of months and it's not a problem. However, I concede there are two main places where beige interior shows dirt much easier:
  • Dead pedal (this is beige color and I don't quite know why)
  • Trim near door sills (also beige and shows scuffs)
Both of these things typically clean up easily with some elbow grease, but these areas would be a much less of an issue to begin with if they were black in color.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosopo View Post
I don't understand this complaint either. I vacuum my car every couple of months and it's not a problem. However, I concede there are two main places where beige interior shows dirt much easier:
  • Dead pedal (this is beige color and I don't quite know why)
  • Trim near door sills (also beige and shows scuffs)
Both of these things typically clean up easily with some elbow grease, but these areas would be a much less of an issue to begin with if they were black in color.
You could get an aftermarket dead pedal. Mine is aluminum with large rubber bumps, and it's very easy to clean. Looks sharp and sporty too. I like the feel of the rubber as well, I can feel that very subtle give with my foot. As for trim near the sills, while I'm not exactly sure what piece you're talking about, I believe black will probably scuff just as easily.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i 6sp
Quote:
Im about to buy my 3 series in the next week if not next couple days and I've found a few that I want with black interior but if I decide on tan interior it doubles the amount of cars I can make offers on. I like tan interior but I'm leaning towards staying with black because I think when it's time to sell it Ill get a wider range of people interested versus the tan interior.
So out of all you on here who wouldn't get tan interior and only black?
I believe tan interior goes well only with selected exterior colours (white, bronze, blue). It does have a great advantage, it doesn't burn as much in the summer time. It also gets dirty faster.