Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
CA, I'm wondering if that's b/c the stock sport suspension was meant to work with RFTs. So, putting more pressure in a non-RFT was a better match for the suspension.

I just put on Pirelli Sottozero RFT on the stock rims (2009 335i sedan, sport pkg). I originally wanted non-RFT winter tires, but couldn't find any for sale. I was shocked at the improvement in ride quality over the stock Bridgestone RFT. I've played around with tire pressure a bit with them and the higher pressure trick didn't improve ride quality this time around. Rather, it made them sound similar to the crash stock Bridgestones. For my winter RFTs, the pressure on the door jams seem perfect. Why are these cars so sensitive to tire pressure?

Anyway, I have a set of Koni FSDs on the way. But with the way the car is riding, I'm not 100% sure I need them. This car rides firm and a bit noisy over patches, but I only get harsh bangs over the worst city pavement. The car is worlds better than my old 2006 was. That car was hopeless. Not even Koni FSD and non-RFT could save it.

What pressure are you running with non-RFT and Koni FSD? Above or below recommended? I would think that with the Konis, you'd need a decent amount of pressure to transmit the higher frequency to the shocks to let them do their thing, no? If you were to lower the pressure with a non-RFT, I'm wondering if that would take the edge off too much, causing the Konis to stay in their stiffer mode?

I also see a lot of people talking about going with a higher sidewall. Not sure that will make much of a difference. I went +1 on my 330. Wasn't the fix I was after. With a properly sorted suspension and non-RFT, 18" and even 19" rims can ride just fine. My RS4, as well as a few S4s I test drove all had big rims and low profile tires. They all road very firm, but were never the least bit crashy.
I was running 2PSI over recommended with the Pirelli P_Zero Neros. Now that I have Conti Extreme Contact DWS I have them at the recommended pressure (as listed on the door frame). At first I ran those 2PSI over as well but I prefer the way the car feels with them at the recommened pressures.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Did you have the DWS tires before you got the FSDs? I'm considering that for my next summer tire. That, or the Pilot Super Sports (which I had on my RS4 and were fantastic). I know the DWS have a very soft sidewall and I'm worried that the ride might be too soft combined with the FSD. Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Usual Suspect

Mein Auto: 750 Li Xdrive
Sport suspensions are not a good match for the ravaged roads of the urban areas in the Northeast U.S. When I have to drive to Boston or NY I take the Cayenne.

2014 B7 Alpina (daily driver Mass.), 2014 Maserati Gran Cabrio (daily driver Florida), 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (wife's car Mass), 2014 AMG S63 (wife's car Florida)

1969 Camaro Z28, 1964 Jaguar E-Type, Caterham Super 7 (track car), 1957 Thunderbird, 1954 Jaguar XK120, 1958 Corvette, 1955 MGTF, 1965 Shelby GT350, Superformance 427 Cobra, 1955 Chevrolet Nomad, 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe, 2001 BMW Z8,2014 McLaren 650S,

Last edited by UnderSteer; 12-10-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
Did you have the DWS tires before you got the FSDs? I'm considering that for my next summer tire. That, or the Pilot Super Sports (which I had on my RS4 and were fantastic). I know the DWS have a very soft sidewall and I'm worried that the ride might be too soft combined with the FSD. Thoughts?
I had the FSDs installed whild I had Pirellis on the car. Installed the DWS about a year after the Konis.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-10-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d
Can I use the Koni FSD in my 335d with sport? I'm looking to make the ride more comfortable without sacrificing handling. I looked on tire rack but it said there were no compatible Koni's for my car. .??

Last edited by torifile; 12-12-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Can I use the Koni FSD in my 335d with sport? I'm looking to make the ride more comfortable without sacrificing handling. I looked on tire rack but it said there were no compatible Koni's for my car. .??
When I first was interested in FSDs for my 07 335i E93 with sport package I was told they were not available for the E93. I asked if they were the same as the ones for the E92 and was told they were not. Some time later I found that they were finally avaiable for the E93. When I checked I found that they were the same part number as the ones for the E92.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Check part number for the OEM cars, if they match you should be fine. I had the same issue with an early E91. http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
In my experience Tire Rack was not very helpful with Koni FSD fitment. May have something to do with bad publicity they got early on with disgruntled FSD customer(s). Regardless, why not just check with Koni. In my experience they have an excellent customer service rep, helped me make the decision to select the correct fit for my E91. At that time I don't think they had dampers for D series applications, but check with them.

Quote:

Last edited by Wihelm G; 12-13-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH528i View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 330i Sports Package, already changed to non-run flat tire.
However, the suspension is still pretty rough/uncomfortable for my taste.
Since this is my daily commute car also for taking kids to school, is there
way to make the car ride quality better?

I have heard that Koni FSD can improve the ride qualtiy without changing
the spring on E90 sports package. How much improvement will I get by
changing just the stock sprorts shocks to Koni FSD? What else should I
change to make the car more comfortable and possibly raise the ground
clearnace by 1-1.5 inch without buying a new car or change the rim size?
Please advise. Tks.

Dave
This is one of the downfalls of sport package. You can improve the ride by reducing the size of the rim and thus getting more rubber.