Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: X1 28i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I feel like I've asked this before: Why do you need to see the driver's side door? I guess I just adjust mirrors to see traffic, not my own vehicle. A bit of my rear quarter panel is all I need to see.
That's my point, I can't see anything of the car, unless I move my head closer to the window.

The curious part is that the passenger side mirror moves freely left to right to any position.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlova View Post
Wolfex:

In my X1, I can't move it enough to the right to see the window or drivers side door.
I only adjust the mirror until I can barely see any part of the car. I never had a need to go further. In that position the blind spot is minimized and you can get a sense of where the car is in relation.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
I only adjust the mirror until I can barely see any part of the car. I never had a need to go further. In that position the blind spot is minimized and you can get a sense of where the car is in relation.
Wolfex:

I also position my mirror that way. But my observation is that regardless of the optimal position, the mirror should move more than that to take account of different sized people and seating positions. When my mirror is positioned as you inicate above, it is at its extreme right travel. And I still need to move my head to the left (closer to the window) to barely see the car.

I'm curious, how much further your mirror will travel to the right after you have set it to your desired position.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 330i and X3
Believe or not, I've had this lack of travel range on the driver side mirror on my '06 330i for a long time. I am 6' 1 so I have not problem, but my wife is 5' 3 and she could not get the mirror to travel to the right enough so she could see the proper view.
She hates this so much now she refuses to drive the 330i and bugs me to get rid off it. (she is very safety conscious and very demanding in being able to see all the views around the car while driving.) I do notice that the '07 and onward 328 and 335 have gone to a larger and more squarish side mirrors. I wonder if any mechanic know how to make the internal adjustment so the mirror has a more range to travel to the right?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonali View Post
Believe or not, I've had this lack of travel range on the driver side mirror on my '06 330i for a long time. I am 6' 1 so I have not problem, but my wife is 5' 3 and she could not get the mirror to travel to the right enough so she could see the proper view.
She hates this so much now she refuses to drive the 330i and bugs me to get rid off it. (she is very safety conscious and very demanding in being able to see all the views around the car while driving.) I do notice that the '07 and onward 328 and 335 have gone to a larger and more squarish side mirrors. I wonder if any mechanic know how to make the internal adjustment so the mirror has a more range to travel to the right?
I would assume that there is no option for adjustment. They had my car in for this and decided to replace the mirror. New one is no better.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: Varies
Has anyone tried getting the euro convex mirror?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Wolfex:
I'm curious, how much further your mirror will travel to the right after you have set it to your desired position.
My mirror seems to have a full range of motion from my seating position. I can move it all the way to the right and only see car and far the the left too.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Picked up my X1 a few weeks ago - exactly the same problem. Took it in for a service yesterday - was told the mirror movement was to spec, with the strong hint that I was complaining about nothing. It's livable with, but leaves a nasty taste in the mouth - first beemer, and may be my last at this rate!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 s28i & '12 X3 35i
I have been adjusting my mirrors as per the linked article for many years. No issues on my X1.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto:
I found this thread after searching for the same issue. Upon examining the mirrors more closely, the whole driver's mirror is angled wider away from the car than the passenger's. I first noticed it from standing behind the car. The passenger mirror could barely be seen, but I could clearly see the driver's mirror. I measured them, and the angle of the passenger's mirror is smaller. Why?!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive28i
Interesting that the article linked on page 1 of this thread does not address the drivers side mirror.

My X1 carries a Jan '13 production date.

Notwithstanding an actual defect in you mirror mechanism, I find my mirror has adequate design to provide visibility for me. I'm 6'0" and have the seat adjusted to near full back.

Having said that, in addition to preferring that my stock driver side is adjusted NOT to show the side of the car in my 'average' driving position. A quick tilt or lean of the head allows me to see the side of the car or to see a greater distance laterally if necessary.

Disclaimer: I have (always) added a round 1-1.25" convex mirror to both of my side mirrors on all my cars.

Tastes vary but my round mirrors are placed in the upper corners closest to the windows.

The confidence in knowing I won't miss something and peace of mind with these is tremendous.

Von_W
Old 04-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
I also never have the side mirror adjusted to the right, showing my car. No problems. In fact I just moved it a bit further left.

2014 X3 28i
2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
I posted on this thread on Sept 13, not sure why its not here but again: Dealer has fixed the mirror problem. My short wife had troubles using the mirrors. There is actually a service bulleting for it, # SIB 51 06 13. Involves moving the mirror bumper stop. BTW there is also an SIB for wind noise on the mirrors. Involves putting glass tape between the gap between the mirror cap and housing.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 135i
Question Drivers side mirror issue

Quote:
Is there an issue with driver (left) side mirrors on these cars. I test drove an X1 and notified the dealer that the mirror could not be adjusted enough to the right (Could not see the car door).In fact it warped the mirror glass as I moved it to the right stop.
I ordered the car anyway and when mine came in, I have the same problem.

Going in for repair but two cars with the same problem seems strange. Anyone else with this problem?
I have a 2014 with same issue. It won't adjust far enough inwards. I planned on taking it in for warranty work for the mirror at its first service. But it looks like its a factory defect.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 135i
Thanks for SIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by imua1 View Post
I posted on this thread on Sept 13, not sure why its not here but again: Dealer has fixed the mirror problem. My short wife had troubles using the mirrors. There is actually a service bulleting for it, # SIB 51 06 13. Involves moving the mirror bumper stop. BTW there is also an SIB for wind noise on the mirrors. Involves putting glass tape between the gap between the mirror cap and housing.
Before I saw your post I figured it was a factory defect that I would have to live with. Thanks to your post i realize the problem can be fixed. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i M Sport
Hi all, new to the forum but I have to thank you all for the info.

I just picked up an X1 xDrive28i M Sport, and I'm loving it, but my wife is way shorter than me, and can't adjust the mirror to a comfortable angle. I went to the dealer service shop here in Vancouver once, and they didn't think they could do anything, so I went back today armed with the service bulletin number.

Being Canada, they don't have access to all the US service bulletins, but my service manager here was able to find a relevant PuMA measure, which I think may be more international than US SIB numbers, so I thought I'd post it here for anyone in Canada with this issue. (The measure report says "US Market", but I presume that all North American BMWs are US Market spec. I don't think it's a defect so much as a lack of consideration for North American mirror glass. European ones likely have the convex magnifying mirror on the driver side.)

The relevant number is PuMA Measure No. 53675293-01, and the fix detailed on the description is to grind or sand off the upper pin (ie. bump stop) on the mirror glass carrier plate.

It also may affect newer F30 and F31 3 series models, FYI.

Last edited by ccae92; 06-30-2014 at 02:03 PM.