Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I somewhat agree with that, Audi knows that BMW and Mercedes have a strong foothold in the US market. Breaking into the US will take a slow and long effect by Audi, and thats exactly what they are doing.
Audi tends to built what they can sell and not anymore. A good example is the Audi Q5, Audi had a shortage of Q5 in Europe for the first 2 years when it was introduce.
Talking to some Audi dealers, they have only so many allocation from Audi each year. The dealers always try to get more but with no success.
I guess you can either sell 10 cars and make a profit of $5000 each or you can sell 20 cars and make a profit of $2500 each, there is no difference. It just differ in which business model your company wants to follow.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix
"Yes" and "no" to the latest posts. For my wife and I, having been previous, satisfied owners of Audi vehicles (she had an A4, and I had an A6), our experience was that while our former Audi dealer did negotiate on the purchase price of our vehicles, comparable to our current BMW dealer, what made us loyal BMW consumers, aside from our positive experiences with the performance of our BMW vehicles and service, was the availability of on-site inventory to inspect and test, and have fulfilled in our purchase orders.

I don't know if the supply issues have improved, or not, at Audi dealers since the time my wife placed a purchase order for her second Audi, an A5, in 2008, which was a new offering by Audi. After waiting for the arrival of her vehicle, we called our Audi CA near the delivery date only to learn that Audi unilaterally cancelled her order several weeks earlier, owing to its inability to supply the vehicle until 2009. We were not informed of this decision by our Audi CA. When we contacted AudiUSA about the matter, it made arrangements with our Audi dealer to sell her its only A5 test vehicle, which we declined. Our other option was to place a purchase order for a MY2009 A5, at the new price-point with my wife's preferences. On the very day we learned about the cancellation of my wife's purchase order for her A5, and were informed about our "options" by AudiUSA and our former Audi dealer, we visited our nearby BMW dealer. My wife test drove a 335ix, and placed her purchase order that day, which was promptly fulfilled at a nice price. She has never looked back or regretted her decision to buy her BMW. Neither have I. Noting her positive experience with BMW, I ordered my current vehicle, a 535ix, a few years later, from the same BMW dealer. Poor supply at Audi, coupled with poor customer service at our Audi dealership, when contrasted against the comparatively superior supply of vehicles at BMW, and the excellent customer service at our BMW dealer, contributed to making both my wife and I loyal, satisfied, and repeat BMW customers.

Last edited by bimmerific; 01-09-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
good example is the Audi Q5, Audi had a shortage of Q5 in Europe for the first 2 years when it was introduce.
Audi Q5 is still pretty bad. My local dealer has zero and a long waiting list of people who want them. Only going to get worse this year when the Q5 TDI comes out.

That being said, that Mexico factory needs to come online ASAP and start pumping out Q5s. Dealers are dying for them. Why would people wait a couple months to get a Q5 when the local BMW dealer can deliver a custom-order X3 within 3 weeks?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Audi Q5 is still pretty bad. My local dealer has zero and a long waiting list of people who want them. Only going to get worse this year when the Q5 TDI comes out.

That being said, that Mexico factory needs to come online ASAP and start pumping out Q5s. Dealers are dying for them. Why would people wait a couple months to get a Q5 when the local BMW dealer can deliver a custom-order X3 within 3 weeks?
Because X3's are a dime a dozen and Q5's and other Audi's are considered sexy these days. Again, lack of supply has created the demand. I picked (ordered) the Q7 over the X5 (the last version not the new one) because it was different and the X5 was over priced. In addition, I have to wonder if the pent up demand for Q5/7's has positively affected the resale value. We leased our 2008 Q7 for 36 months. It's a loaded S-line version that stickered for a shockingly low at the time $58K! (X5 was in the 70's)). I bought it off lease for $29k with 20k miles on it when the resale was $42k. Can't really say this would be the case with many BMW models.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
In addition, I have to wonder if the pent up demand for Q5/7's has positively affected the resale value.
I think it has. KBB had the Q7 as having top resale in its segment for a while now. I got a fantastic trade-in value on my 2007 Q7, which I traded in for my X5.

Used Q5s and Q7s are overpriced. (Just by looking at autotrader)

Quote:
We leased our 2008 Q7 for 36 months. It's a loaded S-line version that stickered for a shockingly low at the time $58K! (X5 was in the 70's)). I bought it off lease for $29k with 20k miles on it when the resale was $42k. Can't really say this would be the case with many BMW models.
Yeah, when the Q7 first came out, it was a tremendous value. My loaded one (everything but S-Line, air suspension, towing) retailed for like $54k. Now, a loaded one can hit $70k easily, just like the X5.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 AM

BMW just release its global sales numbers, The BMW group sold almost as much cars in China as they did in US last year, which is a bit surprising to me.

"Automaker BMW AG says its worldwide sales rose nearly 11 percent to a new record last year, helped by strong demand in China and the U.S. for its luxury cars.

The company said Thursday the BMW Group - which also includes the Mini and Rolls-Royce brands - delivered 1.85 million vehicles last year. In December, it delivered 181,571 cars - nearly 15 percent more than a year earlier.

Full-year sales in Asia increased by nearly a third, with deliveries in China increasing 40 percent to 326,444. In the United States, sales rose 14 percent to 347,583.

The picture was less rosy in economically troubled Europe but BMW still saw its sales there edge up 0.8 percent to 864,812"

Last edited by The X Men; 01-11-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 AM

The above post is for the BMW group, as far as BMW itself, they sold 1.54 million cars worldwide last year. Mercedes sold 1.42M units and Audi 1.46M. It looks like BMW is number one among luxury brands again, Audi second and Mercedes pulling up the rear. Lexus is not even in the picture as far as global sales numbers.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
The above post is for the BMW group, as far as BMW itself, they sold 1.54 million cars worldwide last year. Mercedes sold 1.42M units and Audi 1.46M. It looks like BMW is number one among luxury brands again, Audi second and Mercedes pulling up the rear. Lexus is not even in the picture as far as global sales numbers.
This close competition benefits us all. It will keep driving technology as they try to out do each and will hopefully get more things to be standard. (i know I chuckled too when I said "standard"...)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 AM

Honestly, if standard equipments were an priority, I would be driving an Acura
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Honestly, if standard equipments were an priority, I would be driving an Acura
Touche.