Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
the ECM will not complete the tests unless you're driving at 40-60 mph and coast to a stop and idle for 5 minutes
I guess the safest thing then, is to simply run the test sequence once each over a period of two days, from cold idle to slow and fast driving to deceleration back down to idle in gear.

Interestingly, the California smog tests are all done under load (dynomometer on the rear wheels) as shown in this picture below of my car being tested recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
After fixing a dozen lean-condition misfire codes, here are my latest California smog emissions test results at an inspection-only station (the California government is so badly managed that they make you pay more every few years for your inspection just so they can watch over their inspection stations instead of actually watching over their inspection stations).

Comparing old, to new (same vehicle) over time ...
--------------------------------------
- Northern California (bluebee), 2002 525i, 87 AKI (just after rebuilding the ABS control module)
- Northern California (bluebee), 2002 525i, 91 AKI (after clearing P0500 code & driving for two weeks)
- Northern California (bluebee), 2002 525i, 87 AKI (two years later)
HYDROCARBONS:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0 ppm (limit = 52 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), 87AKI, PASS
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 9 ppm (limit = 52 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 2 ppm (limit = 51 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), test results two years later, PASS

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0 ppm (limit = 36 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), 87AKI, PASS
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 2 ppm (limit = 36 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 2 ppm (limit = 35 ppm, avg = 4 ppm), test results two years later, PASS
Carbon Monoxide:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0.00% (limit = 0.49%, avg = 0.01%), 87AKI, PASS
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 0.01% (limit = 0.49%, avg = 0.01%), 97AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 0.01% (limit = 0.48%, avg = 0.01%), test results two years later, PASS

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0.00% (limit = 0.46%, avg = 0.01%), 87AKI, PASS
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 0.01% (limit = 0.46%, avg = 0.01%), 97AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 0.01% (limit = 0.46%, avg = 0.01%), test results two years later, PASS
Nitrogen Oxides:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 21 ppm (limit = 424 ppm, avg = 16 ppm), 87AKI, PASS
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 53 ppm (limit = 424 ppm, avg = 16 ppm), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 56 ppm (limit = 419 ppm, avg = 27 ppm), test results two years later, PASS

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 25 ppm (limit = 711 ppm, avg = 18 ppm), 87AKI, PASS
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 63 ppm (limit = 711 ppm, avg = 18 ppm), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI), PASS
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 285 ppm (limit = 706 ppm, avg = 26 ppm), test results two years later, PASS
Carbon Dioxide:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 15.0% (no limit provided), 87AKI
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 15.1% (no limit provided), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI)
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 14.8% (no limit provided), test results two years later

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 15.0% (no limit provided), 87AKI
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 15.1% (no limit provided), 91AKI (worse than 87AKI)
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 14.9% (no limit provided), test results two years later
Oxygen:
- 15mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), 87AKI
- 15mph (2445 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), 91AKI
- 15mph (1914 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), test results two years later

- 25mph (2400 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), 87AKI
- 25mph (2393 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), 91AKI
- 25mph (1331 rpm): bluebee: 0.0% (no limit provided), test results two years later

Interestingly, over the two years, only the nitrogen oxides jumped appreciably. But why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno.JPG
Views:	6414
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	328357  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-18-2012, 02:00 PM

Last week, I had a long talk with Mike McCarthy at 626-771-3614 (m+hislastname@arb.ca.gov) about OBD codes in California.

Mike manages the OBD program for California. He had tons of details (most of which went over my head), but, it's important to note that the BMW FTP is 'not' the same as the EPA FTP (aka FTP-74) drive trace (Mike said more information is at dieselnet.com).

He said the BMW FTP can be considered a manufacturer-specified 'superset' which encompasses the EPA FTP-75 that all California cars must pass.

For example, the EPA 75 does 'not' have such long times for cold idle and it doesn't even have a second cold start. It has a 10 minute cooloff period in the cycle - but that's it for the engine being off. And, it doesn't even have the idle-in-gear stuff that the BMW drive trace has. Apparently it all started down in LA with a drive cycle of 1,372 seconds and then progressed to EPA control culminating with the EPA-72 spec and then the EPA-75 as described on http://dieselnet.com

Mike knew the history of all the OBD standards, from IM240 to ASM and then on to OBD.

Mike also knew the history of the OBD monitoring requirements. Specifically he confirmed that, in any one drive cycle, a pending code can be set once, and then the second code will trigger the MIL.

To reset the MIL, the code has to be NOT trigged in three complete drive cycles.

For more information, he suggested smogcheck.ca.gov

EDIT: For information on the OBD readiness monitors, I called the Department of Consumer affairs 800-952-5210 where you can actually talk to 'former mechanics' who are now 'technical advisors' or 'consumer assistance representatives' for the state of California who will discuss with you your smog test questions.

At the Department of Consumer Affairs, I spoke with "Marvin" who explained that, in California, a 1996 to 2000 vehicle can pass smog with 2 monitors not ready but that a 2001 to current vehicle can have only 1 monitor not ready and still pass smog tests. He said many technicians still fail the car because they want to have high STAR scores.

In addition, Marvin said that new OBD tests will check your air conditioning because they assume if your ac isn't working that you're leaking freon into the atmosphere just like they check your fuel system, again assuming vapors will leak out into the atmosphere. So it's not just engine emissions that are being monitored.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.

Last edited by bluebee; 07-18-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 AM

For cross reference, today was added bit of additional ECM information about the drive cycle here:
> E46 (1999 - 2006) > OBD readiness cycle help
Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 AM

For the record, this two-page document explains more about the history of the FTP, and specifically in the California (Los Angeles 92) version of the Federal Test Procedure:
- http://www.arb.ca.gov/msei/onroad/br...blication3.pdf

Here is the resulting BMW drive cycle:

And, here is a better description:

More details:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ftp_cycle.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	362683   Click image for larger version

Name:	la92.jpg
Views:	1340
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	362684  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf california_air_resource_board_federal_test_procedure_and_the_california_unified_cycle.pdf (1.51 MB, 43 views)

Last edited by bluebee; 06-04-2014 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM

This post in the E46 forum has a much more detailed FTP (for a toyota) that may be of use to those trying to better understand the concept of the drive cycle, in general:
> Sensors NOT READY for a long time. Help.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM

For the record, this useful thread was opened today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfn View Post

2003 530i here w/ 140Kmi on the odo, P0420 & P0430 codes and an emissions test on the horizon. I have read the majority of Bluebee's and QSilver7's posts on the subject of drive cycle completion and I have the official BMW FTP .pdf.

After I erase my codes with Autel, I can get most monitors to come back ready relatively quickly, except the 'EVAP' and 'CAT', those take about 60-100mi to come back. I also find that I can never get the 'EVAP' to read ready before the 'CAT' trips a CEL so a successful emissions test is not possible.

I can't do the FTP in order it's outlined in the document as it tests the catalytic converters before the evaporative system. I tried doing ~3 minutes idling from cold starts, followed by 20-30 mph driving for ~4 minutes, deceleration, stop and idling in gear for ~6 minutes. Also tried just doing cold starts and idling twice a day separated by roughly 9 hours with some driving in between, all to no avail.

I know you can have one monitor "not ready" on vehicles newer than 2000 in Illinois, but if I fail on my first attempt, whether it be MIL or two monitors not ready, on the re-take I cannot have the 'CAT' monitor "not ready".

Question: Has anyone in a similar situation managed to get the EVAP monitor to become ready before the CAT monitor or am I SOL and must replace both cats?

I don't want to come across like an ass who just wants to circumvent the test and skip the maintenance. I just a) can't be without a car until the test is due b) can't afford a straight R&R with OE parts at the moment. I am planning to re-core my cats with SmithCat when I take a vacation and won't need the car on daily basis.

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:49 AM

For the record, the E46 team is simultaneously working on how better to understand the drive cycle, over here today:
-> E46 (1999 - 2006) > Drive Cycle
Old 02-01-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Last week, I had a long talk with Mike McCarthy at 626-771-3614 (m+hislastname@arb.ca.gov) about OBD codes in California.

Mike manages the OBD program for California. He had tons of details (most of which went over my head), but, it's important to note that the BMW FTP is 'not' the same as the EPA FTP (aka FTP-74) drive trace (Mike said more information is at dieselnet.com).

He said the BMW FTP can be considered a manufacturer-specified 'superset' which encompasses the EPA FTP-75 that all California cars must pass.

For example, the EPA 75 does 'not' have such long times for cold idle and it doesn't even have a second cold start. It has a 10 minute cooloff period in the cycle - but that's it for the engine being off. And, it doesn't even have the idle-in-gear stuff that the BMW drive trace has. Apparently it all started down in LA with a drive cycle of 1,372 seconds and then progressed to EPA control culminating with the EPA-72 spec and then the EPA-75 as described on http://dieselnet.com

Mike knew the history of all the OBD standards, from IM240 to ASM and then on to OBD.

Mike also knew the history of the OBD monitoring requirements. Specifically he confirmed that, in any one drive cycle, a pending code can be set once, and then the second code will trigger the MIL.

To reset the MIL, the code has to be NOT trigged in three complete drive cycles.

For more information, he suggested smogcheck.ca.gov

EDIT: For information on the OBD readiness monitors, I called the Department of Consumer affairs 800-952-5210 where you can actually talk to 'former mechanics' who are now 'technical advisors' or 'consumer assistance representatives' for the state of California who will discuss with you your smog test questions.

At the Department of Consumer Affairs, I spoke with "Marvin" who explained that, in California, a 1996 to 2000 vehicle can pass smog with 2 monitors not ready but that a 2001 to current vehicle can have only 1 monitor not ready and still pass smog tests. He said many technicians still fail the car because they want to have high STAR scores.

In addition, Marvin said that new OBD tests will check your air conditioning because they assume if your ac isn't working that you're leaking freon into the atmosphere just like they check your fuel system, again assuming vapors will leak out into the atmosphere. So it's not just engine emissions that are being monitored.
In February 2013, I called Mike McCarthy again, at 626-771-3614, who said the OBD test machines are currently in beta testing.
  • He hopes they will pass their tests soon, in which case they can be sold to the test stations.
  • He hopes that will happen before the end of this year.
  • He also confirmed that cars can pass California smog with either one or two incomplete registers, depending on their year (as described in the quote above).
  • He did say that soon, the older (1996 to 2000) cars will be limited to one unset monitor (which can be any monitor other than the fuel evap test); and that the newer cars will be limited to zero unset monitors.
Mike also explained that many people go to the BAR refereee when a smog test station refuses to run the test due to unset monitors.

Part of the problem is their STAR system assesses a penalty point for STAR stations that test cars that have one register unfilled (whether or not that vehicle passes the test!).

So, when a STAR station won't test your bimmer, you can call the BAR referee, at 800-622-7733x1(English)2(agent), who, for free (except the $8.75 for the certificate), will smog check the vehicle at a local community college via a scheduled appointment.

With your license plate, name, and address, and contact phone number, that free smog-check referee appointment will be scheduled, in my experience, within a week, at a local college. My local college is Evergreen Community College, where "Johnny" is the manager in charge (he usually has some students also working with him). Total cost is $8.25 for the certificate (the smog check, which normally costs around $60) is free.

For me, I have to go to both a STAR & TEST ONLY station, which makes matters even worse. It bothers me that California is so screwed up that they make US pay for their silly system; but it is what it is, and I, as a single person, can't do anything about it. The only good news out of all this is that the OBD tests are coming soon.

EDIT:
I don't know of any DMV price list for smog stations, but, there is this BAR web site which will list them out by zip code, e.g.,
- http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/pubwebqu...ationList.aspx

I randomly called a few local STAR-certified smog check stations to find hours & prices (sorted by price, out the door, including the $8.25 certificate):
  • $48 408-371-6430
  • $50 408-356-4188
  • $50 408-374-0140
  • $50 408-227-1575
  • $60 408-871-9484
  • $85 408-399-3927
Here, for the record, is the DMV site explaining a couple components the lousy system (but, in reality, it's a system put together by bureaucrats who don't know how to put systems together without the public paying through the nose for their inefficient system):
- http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/smo...og-Inspections

See also:
- How to identify all BMW computer-specific OBDII DTC diagnostic fault codes (1) & how to better understand the key EPA federal test procedure (FTP) concept of the BMW SES "drive cycle" (1) & how to diagnose a typical BMW E39 engine misfire (1) or a sporadic-temperature-change cold-engine intermittent misfire (1) (2) & what you can expect for E39 smog emissions test results (1) & obtaining the pending or diagnostic trouble code (DTC) using free or freeware scans (1) [except in California or Hawaii (1) (2)] or where to get the cheapest reasonable OBDII scanner in the world (1) (2) or a better overall scanner (1) or the best BMW diagnostic tools (1) (2) (3) & a template of what to tell people from the Republik of Kalifornia who need to do an OBC diagnostic scan (1).

Last edited by bluebee; 06-04-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:38 AM

I came back here today after replacing some vacuum hoses for a P1083 and P1085 because I can't get my secondary air system monitor to be ready!
a. There are no DTCs, nor pending codes
b. MIL light is definitely not on (and yes, it works)
c. But, the OBD says both "MIL=ON" and "2AIR=NOT READY"

I had it checked at the local smog check station and they confirmed the secondary air system monitor was not ready.

Re-reading this thread, I'm not really sure exactly how to get the secondary air system to test, but, it seems I have to do the following:
... Check registers
1. Cold start (which basically means tomorrow morning)
2. Idle for two minutes and ten seconds
3. Shut down the car.
... Check registers

Does that seem like an appropriate sequence to set the secondary air system monitor?

Last edited by bluebee; 05-30-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Does that seem like an appropriate sequence to set the secondary air system monitor?
I learned something new about the OBD codes & FTP BMW drive cycle today while troubleshooting why I can't set the secondary air monitor:
- One user's plight trying to set OBDII secondary air system monitor

After having visited a local shop today to ask why secondary air registers wouldn't set, they were kind enough to print out the related drive cycle instructions for my particular 2002 525i (see attached).

Notice that it does not always take 3 pendings to light a MIL!

Apparently there are "permanently monitored" systems, which trigger a MIL after just one occurrence (if we read the Mitchells correctly), while there are those systems which are "cyclically monitored", which means they are monitored in each drive cycle.
  • Permanent Monitoring
    • Misfire Detection
    • Fuel System (duration of injection)
    • All emissions related electrical circuits, components and systems of the ECM, TCM, and EML (if equipped)
  • Cyclic Monitoring
    • Oxygen Sensor Function
    • Secondary Air Injection System
    • Catalytic Converter Function (efficiency)
    • Evaporative Vapor Recovery System

Permanently monitored systems are monitored according to temperature immediately after startup. In the event of malfunctions (e.g., oxygen sensor), the Malfunction Indicator Light will illuminate immediately!

Cyclic Monitoring is for those systems monitored once per driving cycle, which will result in a fault being registerd after the corresponding operating conditions have been completed. Therefore, there is no possibility for checking when the engine is tarted up briefly, and then shut down.

Here's what Mitchell recommends for a drive cycle:

1. Engine cold start, idling approximately 3 minutes
  • Evaluates Secondary Air System
  • Evaluates Evaporative Leak Detection (LDP Equipped Vehicles)
2. Constant driving at 20 to 30mph, approximately 4 minutes.
  • Evaluates Oxygen Sensors - Achieved "Closed Loop" Operation
  • Evaluates Oxygen Sensors - Response Time and Switching Time (Control Efficiency)
3. Constant driving at 40 to 60 mph, approximately 15 minutes (sufficient vehicle coasting phases included)
  • Evaluated Catalytic Converter Efficiency
  • Evaluated Oxygen Sensors - Response Time and Switching Time (Control Frequency)
4. Engine idling, approximately 5 minutes
  • Evaluated Tank-Leak Diagnosis (DM TL Equipped Vehicles after KL 15 is switched OFF)
Note: the diagnostic sequence illustrated above will be interupted if:
  • The engine speed exceeds 3000 RPM
  • The driving speed exceeds 60 MPH
  • Large fluctuations in teh accelerator pedal position
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw_2002_525i_automatic_drive_cycle_Page_1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	443895   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_2002_525i_automatic_drive_cycle_Page_2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	443896   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ndary_air_not_ready.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	443930   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_drive-cycle.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	444034   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_drive-cycle_1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	444035  

Name:	bmw_drive-cycle_2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	444036   Click image for larger version

Name:	no_code_yet_no_mil.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	444037   Click image for larger version

Name:	bimmerfest_obd_codes.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	444038   Click image for larger version

Name:	epa_bmw_ftp_drive_cycle.png
Views:	5
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	444044   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_drive_cycle_chart.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	444045  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf bmw_2002_525i_automatic_drive_cycle.pdf (1.65 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by bluebee; 06-04-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:07 AM

I should mention that a couple of weeks ago, while troubleshooting an intermittent pending P0171 vacuum leak, I was shocked to find that there was no MIL light, yet the DTC read that there was a DTC set, and the OBD tester showed MIL=ON.

The pictures are on my iPad, so I will upload them separately, but, this information lends credence to the stories where we hear that the MIL is not lit but a DTC is set (not pending, but set!).

And, yes, I tested that the MIL light works.

It's hard to believe, but, in rare cases, the MIL light might not be on when you have fault codes, so, it's probably a good idea to check with the OBD tester before smogging.