Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Sony XPERIA Z announced, damn!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/s...nced-ces-2013/

Quote:
Sony's flagship smartphones may not have set the world on fire so far, but the company is making another concerted push in 2013, launching two top-end phones with near-identical internal specs. The Xperia Z is the main player here, with refined mirrored panelling across the sides and back and a machined power button being the only physical undulation from the 5-inch oblong. Sony's put in its latest tech from across the family, being the first device to house its Exmor RS sensor capable of HDR video, and a 1080p 5-inch TFT Reality Display (that's 443 dpi), packing the upgraded Bravia Mobile Engine 2 to augment colors and contrast on videos and stills. From its imaging arm, Sony's cleaned down its on-screen camera interface and is now more inline with its standalone point-and-shoots and NEX range.

Work has also been done on improving the algorithms behind its automatic settings -- now dubbed "auto i+" -- while the phone-maker has caught up to the competition with a 9-megapixel burst mode at 10 fps and the ability to capture stills during video. It's even upgraded the front-facing camera to a 2-megapixel Exmor R sensor, while the rear-facing 13-megapixel primary shooter will be able to capture HDR video -- offering up a new solution to dim filming conditions. Software additions to Jelly Bean Android, alongside those Sony entertainment services, include a battery stamina mode that will monitor and switch off apps when the screen is off, while you'll also be able to add necessary apps to Sony's white list. The phone will be LTE-capable, with a potent Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and (perhaps surprisingly, given how the phone looks) IP55 and IP57 certified water-resistance. It'll also be the first phone to communicate through NFC with Sony's family of new HDTVs, something we'll be hearing plenty more about later this week.
Ads by Google
Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Those specs are pretty sick on that smartphone. In the past the Sony Ericsson based smartphones have been known to lag. Let's see if this one lags. If the new Galaxy S4 from Samsung comes out with a pen the the sales from Sony will lag but if the Galaxy S4 does not come out with a pen then they stand a small chance. I believe the new Sony does not come with a removable battery but the we Galaxy S4 supposedly will come with a removable battery so this will hurt or affect sales a bit for Sony as this will give Samsung the edge over Sony with their new Smartphone. Otherwise the specs on that new Sony smartphone are pretty sick.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
Trying to compete with iPhone 5? Pretty slick to me.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
It looks like an iPhone.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
It looks like an iPhone.
with no "home" button that is prone to self-destruct, and way better specs on all counts and are almost worlds apart.

"You know, by the time you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions. You may find that you can get away with virtual presidents, virtual prime ministers, virtual everything" - Bill Clinton

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." -
Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Those specs are pretty sick on that smartphone. In the past the Sony Ericsson based smartphones have been known to lag. Let's see if this one lags. If the new Galaxy S4 from Samsung comes out with a pen the the sales from Sony will lag but if the Galaxy S4 does not come out with a pen then they stand a small chance. I believe the new Sony does not come with a removable battery but the we Galaxy S4 supposedly will come with a removable battery so this will hurt or affect sales a bit for Sony as this will give Samsung the edge over Sony with their new Smartphone. Otherwise the specs on that new Sony smartphone are pretty sick.
I think it's all down to marketing. Sammy has become very good with that. Unless Sony can match it, they don't stand a chance.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 AM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
How is Sony with OS updates?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Five inch screen = pass for me. No need for so much screen on a supposedly mobile device. The sad thing is how hard it is becoming to find a high spec phone with normal dimensions. Looked at the g3 and dna the other day. The G3 was huge and very cheap to the touch... I can see why so many people have screen breaking issues. Dna felt better made but still far too big to carry around in a pocket all day.

New rules on unlocking are dispiriting too.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Ac***** ******

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Five inch screen = pass for me. No need for so much screen on a supposedly mobile device. The sad thing is how hard it is becoming to find a high spec phone with normal dimensions. Looked at the g3 and dna the other day. The G3 was huge and very cheap to the touch... I can see why so many people have screen breaking issues. Dna felt better made but still far too big to carry around in a pocket all day.

New rules on unlocking are dispiriting too.
Yea, **** that. I already have a proper tablet (iPad 2) for large screen needs, no need for a smartphone which I won't be able to comfortably use with a single hand. Hopefully next iPhone won't have similarly ridiculous display size...
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: Ferrari 360
Top looking specs on a top looking phone, however I think the Galaxy S4 and the iPhone 5 will trump the Xperia Z the moment they become available. (Not too long!).

Last edited by JohnAddams; 03-19-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed325i View Post
Not good lol.. Here in Asia they have a bad reputation for OS updates. Their smartphones are also usually leggy but are well known for their screens and pictures taken with their camera phone. Earphone speaker and speaker are usually poor quality and lack sound volume.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
So you have one ? How do you like it or not like it?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
With a "damn" in the title, I came here expecting something cool and not just yet another smart phone.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 02-15-2013, 06:39 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAddams View Post
Top looking specs on a top looking phone, however I think the Galaxy S4 and the iPhone 5 will trump the Xperia Z the moment they become available. (Not too long!).
The iphone5 is already out. do you mean iphone6?

"You know, by the time you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions. You may find that you can get away with virtual presidents, virtual prime ministers, virtual everything" - Bill Clinton

Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed325i View Post
pretty terrible. They've ****ed up every XPERIA launch. I hope they don't mess this up.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Not good lol.. Here in Asia they have a bad reputation for OS updates. Their smartphones are also usually leggy but are well known for their screens and pictures taken with their camera phone. Earphone speaker and speaker are usually poor quality and lack sound volume.
leggy smartphones? do they run away from you?

Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
The iphone5 is already out. do you mean iphone6?
Sorry I meant the iPhone 5S.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:11 PM
lurking

uh oh these things are bricking on their own

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Some-...-a-fix_id41065

Quote:
Some owners of the Sony Xperia Z are finding that their high-end device is turning into an expensive, but water resistant, paperweight. Based on the experience of those whose phone has died in front of their eyes, one minute the Sony Xperia Z is alive and vibrant, and suddenly it has moved on toward the light. Some have managed to bring their Xperia Z back with a hard reset by pressing on the power button while at the same time, pushing the volume button up. But this has worked only in a small number of cases.

Sony says that the problem is related to a low battery charge, but that is refuted by those whose Sony Xperia Z passed away with a full charge. The good news is that Sony Mobile is fully aware of the problem and a fix is being readied to go out with the next software update. Unfortunately, Sony does not have an exact date when this update will be going out.

Last edited by HW; 03-20-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 PM

Just when I thought that Sony has had a winner on their hands.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Quote:

awesome phone.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:

I think when it comes to laptops and smartphones Sony is not all that great.
330 Coupe Sold