Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E34 M50 2.5
How to paint black plastic grilles?

Hi all.

I decided to paint the plastic grilles below the wipers and on the front. But I have a doubt on how to apply the paint.

I already have the sandpaper (800 and 400) and a Scotch Brite pad to smooth, clean and degrease.

On a visit to the BX to look for the cans, I found the primer and the paint that I want (Krylon, for what it worth). While talking to the guy, he told me that if I don’t apply something on top of the paint, eventually it will peel out.

What can I do for the finish? I also found a gloss supposedly to apply on the end.

Any tips/advices on this is pretty much welcome.

Best regards
Fernando
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
For what it's worth, the Krylon wont match very well unless you are planning on a contrasting color. Either way, you should start with Bulldog plastic primer or something similar. It aids in paint adhesion to plastic. As for a top coat, it should be UV resistant so it doesn't break down in the sun. Automotive paint already has it in it. Surface prep is also critical for good adhesion. Good luck and post pics when done.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E34 M50 2.5
Hi.

I intend to DIY this and i'll go for spray cans.

For the procedure, I'll sanding then wash the parts. Aplly the primer and light sanding (2 layers). Then the paint (3 layers). As far as the colours, you´re right. I'll use a different black (satin).

Paint brand related, I mentioned Krylon because it's the one available on BX.

According to the primer, thanks for reminding me that it as to be for plastic. The one that I have it's for metal.

Thanks so much for the reply

Best regards
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
When i painted the faded hood vents of my e28, I lightly sanded (400 grit - 800 grit) then used a self-etching primer. Then i used a rattle-can that was made for vehicle trim. It was literally called trim paint. two coats of that and it was done.

1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34