Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The future is now! The all new 6 series coupe (F12) and convertible (F13) details are out and dealers are taking orders. Still no word on when the 4 door Gran Coupe will go into production.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Tire Pressure

What are you guys running?.. Just for my car back from the dealer and he ride seems softer.. I normally inflate the front to 39 psi and the rears to 40psi per the door sticker for driving over 100mph..

Truth is I don't go over that number much of at all.. I just like having the security of knowing that if I ever did I would be fine. What psi are you guys driving on?..
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
38/42
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 01-08-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
38/41 summer (staggered 245/35 x 275/30 - 20)

42/42 winter (245/45-18)
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
38/38 per the sticker.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM

What's the benefit of the front/rear difference? Is this a RWD thing, or is it something I should consider for my xDrive?

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
What's the benefit of the front/rear difference? Is this a RWD thing, or is it something I should consider for my xDrive?
Don't kid... You wouldn't consider anything not published by BMW

heh heh heh.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Don't kid... You wouldn't consider anything not published by BMW

heh heh heh.
lol. I consider many things - I just tend to follow the safe and boring route

BMW is still on my poopy list after The Great Engine Debacle of 2013. If Bönz says it, it must be true. I may just lose it one day and do something crazy like pump those babies up to 40 psi

Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i MSport Coupe
43 rear, 40 front.

This thread will tell you most of what you want to know.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=651450

R.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM

I just re-read the thread linked by roadsta. Although the manual has a section on FTM, our cars are equipped with the more advanced TPMS (also described in the manual). As stated, FTM looks for a difference in rotational speed of the tires. This is accomplished via the ABS speed sensors and therefore, FTM systems do not require pressure sensors mounted in the wheels. My E39 M5 had this system.

TPMS use pressure sensors mounted in the wheels that can read actual pressure - and in our case temperature as well. Unfortunately, US 6ers are not coded to display the pressure and temperature (although this can be changed). Both systems require reset after changing pressure, but not if you are only bringing one tire back to nominal (although it doesn't hurt).

For what it's worth, my M3 had TPMS which only provided low pressure warnings (like the US 6ers). One day, after a scheduled oil change and SW update, the car could display actual tire pressure, by corner. I will never understand why BMW codes things like this differently in different regions - and then changes its mind. There is nothing regulatory about providing actual PSI readings in a TPMS equipped vehicle. It pisses me off.

I would probably do the coding thing if I used a PC. I don't think the software works on a Mac. The IT schmoes at work have my work laptop all locked up. I can't install anything on it.

Last edited by Bönz; 01-09-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I would probably do the coding thing if I used a PC. I don't think the software works on a Mac. The IT schmoes at work have my work laptop all locked up. I can't install anything on it.
Off topic (what else is new), but I'm currently waiting to pick up my dead MacBook Pro. The motherboard died and will cost $700 to fix. I think I'm in the market for a new MacBook Pro...

Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 AM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
Install a Virtual Machine on your Mac and install the software on the VM. Works great!

Quote:
I just re-read the thread linked by roadsta. Although the manual has a section on FTM, our cars are equipped with the more advanced TPMS (also described in the manual). As stated, FTM looks for a difference in rotational speed of the tires. This is accomplished via the ABS speed sensors and therefore, FTM systems do not require pressure sensors mounted in the wheels. My E39 M5 had this system.

TPMS use pressure sensors mounted in the wheels that can read actual pressure - and in our case temperature as well. Unfortunately, US 6ers are not coded to display the pressure and temperature (although this can be changed). Both systems require reset after changing pressure, but not if you are only bringing one tire back to nominal (although it doesn't hurt).

For what it's worth, my M3 had TPMS which only provided low pressure warnings (like the US 6ers). One day, after a scheduled oil change and SW update, the car could display actual tire pressure, by corner. I will never understand why BMW codes things like this differently in different regions - and then changes its mind. There is nothing regulatory about providing actual PSI readings in a TPMS equipped vehicle. It pisses me off.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I have both a Mac and a PC if there is way to get the PSI to show up on iDrive and any of you awesome fellows know how to do it.. Would kindly post it here.. Please.. Thanks...:-)
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
OOO

You need a cable and software, I'll PM you information because we cannot post links to downloads.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Off topic (what else is new), but I'm currently waiting to pick up my dead MacBook Pro. The motherboard died and will cost $700 to fix. I think I'm in the market for a new MacBook Pro...
Sorry to hear that. You probably burned it out editing all your awesome videos. Either that or too much blogging.

Quote:
Install a Virtual Machine on your Mac and install the software on the VM. Works great!
I actually do have a VM on my Mac. I just hate launching it. Something about seeing Windows on my Mac really bugs me. But if my service guy at the dealership refuses to help me out (dropped him a line yesterday) then I may have no choice.

Quote:
You need a cable and software, I'll PM you information because we cannot post links to downloads.
Do you have the link to the cable build? I don't remember where I saw it. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 AM
OOO

I've attached it!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ENET Cable Build.pdf (937.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i MSport Coupe
Hmmm. I will still struggle to build this cable myself. My soldering skills are a little iffy...

Can one buy them somewhere? Anyone who privately puts these together and is prepared to sell them?

R.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 AM

Thanks Triple O. I appreciate that!

Roadsta. I am sure you can buy these cables, but if I recall they're pricey at over 100 bucks. You can make your own without soldering if you use a strip and crimp pin connector like this. I got mine from work (not that I can't solder, it's what we use) but if you google OBD II you will find them. Try carplug.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	357079   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	357080  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM
OOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsta View Post
Hmmm. I will still struggle to build this cable myself. My soldering skills are a little iffy...

Can one buy them somewhere? Anyone who privately puts these together and is prepared to sell them?

R.
I'll PM you info.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM
OOO

Quote:
Thanks Triple O. I appreciate that!

Roadsta. I am sure you can buy these cables, but if I recall they're pricey at over 100 bucks. You can make your own without soldering if you use a strip and crimp pin connector like this. I got mine from work (not that I can't solder, it's what we use) but if you google OBD II you will find them. Try carplug.com
No problem!