Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Yeah, I think the dealership changed them, too, or I got a defective set from them. On the furthest point of the passenger-side, the wipers misses about 1 - 2 inches of window during it's swipe.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi
What do you all think of the PIAA Silencio X-TRM Wiper Blades? They are expensive as hell. Like 85 bucks! they sell them at Bavarian autosport

2008 535xi
Performance: PTF Custom Tune - Jake, AR Design Catless DP's, ER Intercooler, ER Charge Pipe, Forged Motor sports DV's, BMS DCI, Wedge Sport Flash/Coding
Suspension: UR Strut Tower Brace, UR Lower Strut Bar, M5 Pull Rods, RD Sport Sway Bars
Exterior: VMR VB3's 19's with Conti DSW’s, MTech front bumper, HID fog lights, Umnitza ICE LITE Angel Eyes, Clear LED Side Markers, Osram Xenon D1S 6000k headlights, OEM Gloss Black Kidney Grills
Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 530xi
I use Bosch Icons, best blades i've ever used - by far.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Just got a set of Bosch Icons for my dad's E60. The visibility is much better.

However, I do have one concern... The wiper blades seemed to install properly, but it feels like they're a little too easy to take back off compared to the original blades. Is that by design? It doesn't seem like the forces generated while driving could possibly cause it to come off, but just lightly wiggling the blade downward is enough to release it now.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
I just put a set of Icons on my E60 a few weeks ago. They were a bit tricky to get on, but they are wedged in there pretty good - i can't imagine how they could come off. They are on much tighter than the OEM's that were on there.
I would recommend you double check you have them on right... It is tough to get the small metal end (metal assembly on the car wiper) into the end of the Icon's grove.

Cheers.
525i - sold
Jaguar X-Type - Sold
528i - Sold
535i M-Package Current
Old 12-07-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbcgy View Post
I just put a set of Icons on my E60 a few weeks ago. They were a bit tricky to get on, but they are wedged in there pretty good - i can't imagine how they could come off. They are on much tighter than the OEM's that were on there.
I would recommend you double check you have them on right... It is tough to get the small metal end (metal assembly on the car wiper) into the end of the Icon's grove.

Cheers.
Hmm, is there a DIY video somewhere? Maybe I'm not going about it the right way (never had a car with this style mount before). I'll go out and take a closer look (just wish it wasn't so damn cold outside :P)

Edit: Okay I got it, now it's on there really good. I'd have to break it to take it off accidentally now. I just needed better light, made it much easier.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-07-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i

About 4 mins in they install on an E60. But I can tell you that from my experience they don't just snap in like that. lol Perhaps yours did...but I have have read other threads that have had the same experience as me. I think if all of the clips (especially the end one) are snapped in place...should be good to go. If I were to tug on my wipers...there is no way they would budge.
Hope that helps.
Cheers.
525i - sold
Jaguar X-Type - Sold
528i - Sold
535i M-Package Current
Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Yea mine didn't go in that easily either lol. I had to give a decent bit of upward pressure to get it to snap into place; before what was happening was that the two tabs weren't lining up quite right. I guess the OEM blades might go in easier, but the Icons seem to be superior otherwise (though to be fair, I don't know how well a brand new set of OEM blade would perform)

Don't really understand why BMW couldn't have gone with the traditional J-hooks, but at least the "OE mount" blades aren't much more expensive.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-07-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Valeo are the stock blade on an 04.They fit perfectly ,look on Tirerack.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
I got Rain-X Latitudes from Amazon. Under $30 for the pair and they are awesome! Quiet, no streaks, just the best blades I have ever experienced.
Some people report that they deteriorate after a few months. I guess I will find out, but so far highly recommend them.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 PM

So looking at the oem ones that are on the Amazon link above, I see a set of 24", however, when looking at the stores and in their books at the stores, it says a 22" (driver-side) and a 24" (passenger-side). What is correct? I did notice that the passenger blade on the ICON set that I brought from the store, as well as the wiper blades that I got from the dealership last year, miss about an inch on the far passenger-side. Perhaps the 24" passenger blade should be used, but a 22".
Old 12-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
Valeo are the stock blade on an 04.They fit perfectly ,look on Tirerack.
Ahhhh, I think you are right. Looking at the Tirerack site, it appears they come in a 24 and 23 blade for the 2004, vs. that Bosch ICON that is recommended at 24 and 22. That explains the inch that is missing on the passenger blade. I wonder if AutoZone will take them back. Bosch's book is wrong, their website too.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
I have 24" Rain-X Latitude on driver side, 22" on passenger side. Awesome blades so far.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
that was an excellent video.
I have some suggestions:

1. Remove the blades at intervals and spray the rubber with a good detergent like Super Clean, and rinse with hot water - it removes a lot of dead rubber.

2. (very imported - Like Jimmah Carter says)- Place a large piece of styrofoam or a large wadded rag on the windshield below the wiper arm. That way if the arm slips from your grasp, it will not break the windshield!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
GPom

Mein Auto: BMW 2004 530i
Solved - Wiper Blade Chatter

I had the same windshield wiper chatter problem many people complain about. A loud scraping sound that's hard to take. I have an E60, but I think this problem happens to other Bimmers too. My OEM wipers looked clean with no visible wear. I read that Rain-x does not really work to fix this. Also, some folks buy the OEM from the dealer and it still doesn't fix the problem. Several people have adjusted the wiper arm, but only do that as a last resort (or buy a new arm),since you could cause a new problem.

The simple solution that several people have given is to just buy BOSCH ICON wiper blades. I did, and problem solved. AutoZone sells them for about $23 each side (22" and 24"), and they mailed them to me for 6 bucks, $56 total. They slide on fine, but you have to work them a little to do it. It sure feels nice to have quite wipers now.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM

recent update: My wipers finally got too noisy and I took a chance and got wipers at "Sam's club" ~$11ea. They are "peak" brand. I was skeptical that they would even fit let alone be good, but they fit with one of the four possible adapters and OMG they work great. they are still new so we will see how they survive.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
I'm reading in this forum that some folks have had success with other brands of blades, but I haven't. So as a contrasting opinion here's been my experience this year (finally fell off warranty on the E61).

1) I've had no luck with alternate brands. I've tried (and returned) Michelin, Goodyear, Rain-X and one other which I cannot recall. A variety of issues but chattering and poor coverage and the ends of the blade were the most common. It seems a number of these cannot arch properly and misses the last two inches of swipe.

2) The only brand which has worked for me have been the Bosch Icon OE brand. Specifically the OE with the special mounting bracket. Sweep is excellent and no chattering or streaking. Proper installation was harder, you really have to push hard to get them to click in properly. Plus, they were expensive relative to other brands.

3) Local dealership quoted $64 for each front replacement blade. It was quite a shock. Even for someone use to scary Porsche prices, I found the price on the replacement blades extreme. Further, if you have a Station Wagon, the rear blade (which is a very small 15") is $50 at the dealership.

4) Speaking of the rear blade, THAT one has been impossible to replace. First, no one stocks 15" blades anymore. And because of how it mounts, I've found that only a Bosch will mount properly. Trico (which was the only other 15") does not fit; it will not snap into the mount. But even after mounting the Bosch, the wiping action missed the entire top three inches of the rear window. It wasn't until I REMOVED a special trim piece from the original BMW blade and installed it onto the Bosch blade that the wiping action finally worked. It appears the extra plastic piece forces a greater arc on the outside portion of the blade allowing it to wipe the top of the rear glass. So, for those with an E61 which is out of warranty, take care NOT to throw out your rear blade when you buy a replacement. You'll need a plastic piece off it.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Wow the dealership must be ripping you off - my last replacement blades were like under $30 for the pair - and that was in November or December

BMW CCA Member
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i sport
Wal-Mart has the Bosch ICON OE for $15 each blade

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Bimmer App
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM
BMWs since '87

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi (LCI)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffVander View Post
I'm reading in this forum that some folks have had success with other brands of blades, but I haven't. So as a contrasting opinion here's been my experience this year (finally fell off warranty on the E61).

1) I've had no luck with alternate brands. I've tried (and returned) Michelin, Goodyear, Rain-X and one other which I cannot recall. A variety of issues but chattering and poor coverage and the ends of the blade were the most common. It seems a number of these cannot arch properly and misses the last two inches of swipe.

2) The only brand which has worked for me have been the Bosch Icon OE brand. Specifically the OE with the special mounting bracket. Sweep is excellent and no chattering or streaking. Proper installation was harder, you really have to push hard to get them to click in properly. Plus, they were expensive relative to other brands.
I suppose when you need your wipers every day you become a bit more sensitive to any weirdness in how they work.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i sport
I got the Good Year Assurance wiper blades from Costco when they have a bunch of them on sale; $17 for a pair. Work very well and they are made in USA.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Ben View Post
I got the Good Year Assurance wiper blades from Costco when they have a bunch of them on sale; $17 for a pair. Work very well and they are made in USA.
DING DING DING ........we have a winner - best price + good quality!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 528ix sedan
Goodyear Assurance blades

+1 on the Goodyear blades from Costco. From time to time they have a buy 1 get one free promo....that winds up being $7.99 for 2 Blades. Hard to beat the price and the quality of the blades.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 09 Subaru WRX, 08 Infinit
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlou View Post
DING DING DING ........we have a winner - best price + good quality!!!!
When I checked these out, there was a footnote that said we needed to purchase an extra mounting part? Were you guys able to install these straight from costco?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
i got mine replaced under warranty, they do seem not to last too long though..