Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Monsignor's Avatar
Monsignor Monsignor is offline
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
Location: Pineapple Under the Sea
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
it is, but theres a vacuum line that feeds an electorin server [(???) I'm ashamed to say i work in an IT building] my brain isnt working currenly. Its like a boost gauge that shows digital psi, if that helps...
__________________


1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Microtesties Microtesties is offline
Unregistered User
Location: Concord, NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Well the needle swings smoothly then immediately stops at 20 like they'res something blocking it. I'm assuming if there were a vacuum leak it would come to a more smooth stop. Considering all this talk of OBCs sounds like wizardry to me I'm going to try removing the cluster and see the needle will physically move past the 20 mark.
__________________
Year: 1990
Model: 525i
Transmission: 5 speed
Mileage: 250k
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Monsignor's Avatar
Monsignor Monsignor is offline
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
Location: Pineapple Under the Sea
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microtesties View Post
Well the needle swings smoothly then immediately stops at 20 like they'res something blocking it. I'm assuming if there were a vacuum leak it would come to a more smooth stop. Considering all this talk of OBCs sounds like wizardry to me I'm going to try removing the cluster and see the needle will physically move past the 20 mark.
As usual, please post the results
__________________


1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Microtesties Microtesties is offline
Unregistered User
Location: Concord, NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Unfortunately I've been pretty busy lately and I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to remove the cluster. Also back on topic, my new cap and rotor are to arrive here on the 17th according to FedEx. 6 more days feels like forever, but maybe I'll get lucky and it'll come early. I'll be sure to let you all know about the misfire and cluster situations when I'm able to work on them.
__________________
Year: 1990
Model: 525i
Transmission: 5 speed
Mileage: 250k
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Microtesties Microtesties is offline
Unregistered User
Location: Concord, NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Alright everyone, update on the MPG gauge situation. I have removed the cluster and as I suspected when I move the needle with my finger I can feel there is much more resistance around the 20-15 area. When I push the needle past the 15 mark it's back to normal, but when I release it it swings smoothly and then will get stuck at the 15 mark. I don't know what to do about this one, ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0250.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	357686

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0251.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	357687
__________________
Year: 1990
Model: 525i
Transmission: 5 speed
Mileage: 250k
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM
snowsled7 snowsled7 is offline
The Ornery Old Man
Location: SW Mountains
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 980
Mein Auto: GTI
Ignore it


That is what I would do on a 23 year old car with 250k miles on it.
__________________
Current ride... '13 GTI Wolfsburg
BMW's from my past...
'92 535i/5 '89 325ix/5
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Microtesties Microtesties is offline
Unregistered User
Location: Concord, NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsled7 View Post
Ignore it


That is what I would do on a 23 year old car with 250k miles on it.
Yeah, I'm gonna say I would need a new tach/ exconomy gauge to put in my cluster. So I've reassembled everything and maybe I'll buy a new one in the future.
__________________
Year: 1990
Model: 525i
Transmission: 5 speed
Mileage: 250k
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Microtesties Microtesties is offline
Unregistered User
Location: Concord, NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Alright, I'm glad to say my new distributor cap and rotor FINALLY arrived in the mail today. I will install it as soon as I get a chance and the weather's right. After looking at Bentley I'm curious about the dust cover o-ring it mentions. I don't know if I have one on there currently and I can't find them for sale anyone, not even listen on realoem. So does this O-ring exist?
__________________
Year: 1990
Model: 525i
Transmission: 5 speed
Mileage: 250k
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:41 PM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microtesties View Post
Alright, I'm glad to say my new distributor cap and rotor FINALLY arrived in the mail today. I will install it as soon as I get a chance and the weather's right. After looking at Bentley I'm curious about the dust cover o-ring it mentions. I don't know if I have one on there currently and I can't find them for sale anyone, not even listen on realoem. So does this O-ring exist?
Looking forward to seeing if this fixes it for you.

Can you quote the page number and section in Bentley for the question about the o-ring?
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Microtesties Microtesties is offline
Unregistered User
Location: Concord, NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Looking forward to seeing if this fixes it for you.

Can you quote the page number and section in Bentley for the question about the o-ring?
Yes, you can see it on page 120-5 Ignition System - DME
__________________
Year: 1990
Model: 525i
Transmission: 5 speed
Mileage: 250k
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 PM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microtesties View Post
Yes, you can see it on page 120-5 Ignition System - DME
Very odd that it doesn't show up on realoem. Perhaps you will have to check with the dealer
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Microtesties Microtesties is offline
Unregistered User
Location: Concord, NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Very odd that it doesn't show up on realoem. Perhaps you will have to check with the dealer
Yeah looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do. If I get no luck with them and my current O-ring has to be replaced I figure I'll just RTV it. It will kinda suck next time I change the distributor, but can't really do anything else.
__________________
Year: 1990
Model: 525i
Transmission: 5 speed
Mileage: 250k
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microtesties View Post
Yeah looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do. If I get no luck with them and my current O-ring has to be replaced I figure I'll just RTV it. It will kinda suck next time I change the distributor, but can't really do anything else.
You might check with a auto parts supplier or some type of commercial supplier of o-raings to see if they would have it. Measure the diameter and then measure the thickness with a digital measuring caliper or micrometer if you can and then do a google search.

Hope that helps.
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Microtesties Microtesties is offline
Unregistered User
Location: Concord, NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
You might check with a auto parts supplier or some type of commercial supplier of o-raings to see if they would have it. Measure the diameter and then measure the thickness with a digital measuring caliper or micrometer if you can and then do a google search.

Hope that helps.
Yeah I did put a little thought into going direct to an O-ring manufacturer, but considering how big it is it seems unlikely they would regularly supply them. To be completely honest I just want my car to be back functioning properly as soon as possible, and that would be more shipping, and possibly a special order. Of course if I don't feel like the RTV will be sufficient I would rather wait and do the job right than have to do it again, I'm just hoping I can get it done soon.
__________________
Year: 1990
Model: 525i
Transmission: 5 speed
Mileage: 250k
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Microtesties Microtesties is offline
Unregistered User
Location: Concord, NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Alright everyone, I FINALLY got my new distributor installed. Got to use a nice heated shop instead of my cold driveway.

Anyway, my car is running amazing so far. I did only install it about 15 minutes ago... But still. Quicker starts, more power, and not even a hint of a misfire. Glad to have my baby running smooth again

Thank you everyone for your help, couldn't have done it without you guys!
__________________
Year: 1990
Model: 525i
Transmission: 5 speed
Mileage: 250k
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microtesties View Post
Alright everyone, I FINALLY got my new distributor installed. Got to use a nice heated shop instead of my cold driveway.

Anyway, my car is running amazing so far. I did only install it about 15 minutes ago... But still. Quicker starts, more power, and not even a hint of a misfire. Glad to have my baby running smooth again

Thank you everyone for your help, couldn't have done it without you guys!
Glad she's purring again I suspect that she will continue to run that way for a long time since you have given her some new ignition parts.
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM
_Ethrty-Andy_'s Avatar
_Ethrty-Andy_ _Ethrty-Andy_ is offline
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic
Location: Humble New Zealand
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,138
Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
I havent owned an M20 E34, but my M20 E30s were similar, it doesn't go off the end even when thrashing it. I remember it because I too thought it was odd. Not sure what my 316i does, i have only ever floored it once or twice but only to avoid other stupid drivers. My V12 goes so far the needle disappears LOL
__________________

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms