Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: TL
Looking at First BMW 335i Conv

I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and on the internet. I'm currently an Acura guy looking to make the change to BMW. I'm looking at getting a 2009-10 335i convertible. My main reason for that year is I'm looking to pay cash and want to keep it around 35k maybe up to 40k but that would have to be a super deal!

I have my eye on 4 of them:
1. 2009 Fully loaded with M Sport, 66k miles at a BMW dealership for 29k (the dealer said I can get the extended warranty on it)

2. 2010 with 22k miles balance of factory warranty and maintenance for 35k.

3. A 2009 (black) with 18k miles at 36k with balance of factory warranty and maintenance.

4. A 2009 with 22k miles (private seller) listed at 34k balance of everything with the option to extend.

Iím in the DC area so BMW prices seem to be at a premium compared to most parts of the country. I just want to make sure I get a fair deal.

I'm leaning towards the M sport or the private seller car, since I know where they coming from plus I love the M sport look! . I am aware that I can take the key or the VIN number to the a dealership and get the service history which I plan to do with the cars that are not at a dealership. My main question is compared is 66k miles to high for that car and would I be buying nothing but problems at 66k miles???
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVon33 View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and on the internet. I'm currently an Acura guy looking to make the change to BMW. I'm looking at getting a 2009-10 335i convertible. My main reason for that year is I'm looking to pay cash and want to keep it around 35k maybe up to 40k but that would have to be a super deal!

I have my eye on 4 of them:
1. 2009 Fully loaded with M Sport, 66k miles at a BMW dealership for 29k (the dealer said I can get the extended warranty on it)

2. 2010 with 22k miles balance of factory warranty and maintenance for 35k.

3. A 2009 (black) with 18k miles at 36k with balance of factory warranty and maintenance.

4. A 2009 with 22k miles (private seller) listed at 34k balance of everything with the option to extend.

Iím in the DC area so BMW prices seem to be at a premium compared to most parts of the country. I just want to make sure I get a fair deal.

I'm leaning towards the M sport or the private seller car, since I know where they coming from plus I love the M sport look! . I am aware that I can take the key or the VIN number to the a dealership and get the service history which I plan to do with the cars that are not at a dealership. My main question is compared is 66k miles to high for that car and would I be buying nothing but problems at 66k miles???

Having good times with mine. Made a few changes - note what I did before the mods pictured - you should too!

2009+ a good decision.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
Agreed on the 2009+ cars. Bmw improved iDrive in 2009, so that it's self is worth sticking to those years. I have an M sport myself and love it.

So far there aren't any major issues with the convertibles. I've seen two threads where the top turned itself into a pretzel, but that is rare. Read about the 335 engine, you may have to spring for a water pump, thermostat and injectors as the miles pile on. Read the sticky at the top of the forum for convertible top care.

The car drives great, but there is always room for improvement as cal has done to his car.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: TL
Thanks for the input, so other then the water pump, thermostat and injectors no other things to be overly worried about then?

I plan on keeping it for a while that's why I was asking about the miles and any major gotchas. I'm going to try and get them down to about 27k maybe for the price if not I'll keep on looking. With the new model coiming out soon the price should drop even more on these in the next couple of months.

I'll also ask about the dealer about the water pump, thermostat and injectors and if they were already replaced yet by any chance...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVon33 View Post
Thanks for the input, so other then the water pump, thermostat and injectors no other things to be overly worried about then?

I plan on keeping it for a while that's why I was asking about the miles and any major gotchas. I'm going to try and get them down to about 27k maybe for the price if not I'll keep on looking. With the new model coiming out soon the price should drop even more on these in the next couple of months.

I'll also ask about the dealer about the water pump, thermostat and injectors and if they were already replaced yet by any chance...

Dunno - have had none o'those problems. You may be thinking of the high press fuel pump for the first, long resolved w/recall & 10 yr warranty.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Convertible
I'd say go for private seller's car - you can get an extended warranty from Carchex (I just got one) or BMW or any other third party given the BMW warranty would expire in X' month 2013

Good Luck..
Old 01-06-2013, 04:59 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Remember the turbos are warranted for 8 years or 82K miles and 120K miles and 10 years for the high pressure fuel pump. Water pump is a crap shoot, same with tstat. We have a member at over 200K miles on his 335 and changed the tstat and water pump exactly once. Your injectors are not likely to need anything. Just understand that while the M package and sport packages might be cool the roads you drive on have a lot to do with enjoying the car. Drive these cars on roads representative of what you drive now because it can be uncomfortable if the suspension is too stiff given run flat tires.
Also over the same road or road that has some bumps listen for the top to make sure it doesn't make a lot of noises. Some creaking is normal but more than that is not.

BMW require more maintenance than Asian cars do and for that matter all German cars do so just be aware of that. You said you plan to keep it a long time well be sure to do some of the items that make the car last like fluid changes.

Mine has been bullet proof since I picked it up at the factory on 2 APR 2007 and I have 54K miles on it now.
Hope this helps...
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
M-sport has too many miles, stick to the lower mileage cars, problems come with miles more than age. I would be looking at the 2010 first and then the private seller - he is high on price though, asking basically retail for the car. The 2010 you could work on having it CPO'd at that price and have it covered for a few more years and 100k miles.

M-sport definitely makes the car look much better in my book, I would hold out for a lower mileage M-sport if it was me.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i vert
I just paid 37k for my 09 msport with 19k miles. Still under factory warranty. Has nav and pretty much every other option except 6 disc cd changer. Black sapphire metallic, red leather.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Convertible
Guys, I paid 30.2K (OTD) in NOVA for '09 328i Conv. 34K miles with cold weather, premium, comfort and sport packages (fully loaded but "M") - it's still under warranty till 11/13

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think about this deal - just couple of days back I was chatting with my friend and he said you haven't got much of a deal when I was thinking I have.

Thanks,

Last edited by jaytank; 01-11-2013 at 04:22 PM.