Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Talking I Can Finally See! Installed Aspherical Mirrors.

Well, my auto dim/heated/wide angle (aspherical) side view mirrors arrived from Riga, Latvia (thank you eBay & Volodja Borovik) the day after Christmas...and I finally got a chance to install them. It was really easy to remove the mirror glass once you find the sweet spot that allows you room to lift upward on the glass.

I wanted to get some good side by side comparison shots...but it snowed over night and recovered the parking lots & drives that I was using to give some visual markers & perspective of the increased visibility the aspherical mirrors give.

The original "convex" mirror on the passenger side, has the same reflective ratio as the aspherical mirrors...until you get to the line on either the far left (driver's side) or the far right (passenger's side) of the glass which "bends" the reflection out a little further. Plus there's no warning to tell you that the "objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

Since they are so expensive...one could really just replace the one mirror for the driver's side...it is what really made me cough up the dough for the wide angle mirror...the increased visibility is awesome. I can now see straight down both sides and across 3-5 lanes of traffic easily. I took the pics sitting straight in the driver's seat with the camera in front of my face as to emulate looking into the mirrors from the driver's point of view:
Side mirror site line:
  • plain mirror (driver's side) = approx 12 viewing angle
  • convex mirror (pass side) = approx 20 viewing angle
  • aspherical wide angle mirror (driver/passenger side) = approx 40 viewing angle
(driver's side - can see from the front door handles back)

(passenger's side - can see from the front door handles back)

(original driver's side mirror has 1:1 reflective ratio)

(wide angle driver's side - the black line in the snow (the curb) is actually straight all the way across...it just looks curved due to the "bent" mirror section on the right side of the dotted line in the glass)

(original passenger side "convex" mirror)

(wide angle mirror passenger's side - it snowed overnight & covered the drive...but you can use the telephone poles/street lights/trees for comparative perspective)

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 12-29-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to ChezWhiz Send a message via MSN to ChezWhiz Send a message via Yahoo to ChezWhiz
Mein Auto: 2001 X5 4.4i
Question How much?

How much and where'd you order them?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezWhiz View Post
How much and where'd you order them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7
my auto dim/heated/wide angle (aspherical) side view mirrors arrived from Riga, Latvia (thank you eBay & Volodja Borovik) the day after Christmas
Got them from a vendor selling them on eBay. At the time, there were only 2 vendors selling them (bmwelshoplv & uswomanseller )...mine were purchased from the first aforementioned vendor and both were from Latvia (small country off the Baltic Sea...north of Luthuiania, south of Estonia, and west of Russia).

These autodim/heated/wide angle mirrors were used and cost $268 US dollars with shipping included for both of them. To buy them new from a BMW dealership...the cheapest I could find was approx $359 ea. If you don't have the auto dimming (EC) side mirrors...then upgrading to the heated/wide angle mirrors cost much less...so be careful when searching for them that you get the correct ones for how your e53 is optioned.

(electrochromatic/heated/wide angle mirror is #1 in diagram below): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=51&fg=07&hl=9

Also, the passenger side isn't much different than the convex mirror we already have here in the States...but the driver's side is awesome...so if contemplating this mod and the high cost is off-putting...consider doing the driver's side only...or doing the passenger side at some later date.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 01-11-2013 at 02:17 PM.