Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to StealthJPL Send a message via Yahoo to StealthJPL
Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325ES
Rich Fuel/Gas smell from exhaust!

Hey guys. It has been a while since I have visited Bimmerfest and I forgot about how helpful it has been in teaching me about BMWs. I have recently put my Bimmer under the knife a few times and have been very successful thankful in part to this forum. I also have thanks for a BMW mechanic that works at a DIY hobby shop to thank as well. I wanted to get two opinions on my Bimmer about a problem that I have. Last October 2012, I took my 1987 BMW 325es to a car wash and sprayed down the engine after I had changed out the timing belt and water pump, which is how I came about joining Bimmerfest. After I sprayed down the engione, something got wet and the engine started running really rough. It got so bad that my CAT turned cherry red and I started smelling a really rich fuel mixture coming from the tail pipe. At first I was told that it was my throttle body housing but after checking that over I found nothing wrong with it. Yesterday, January 10, 2013, I changed the spark plugs (.30 Gap as per the manual) O2 sensor, rotor, wires and distributor cap. All of the mentioned maintenance was recommended because of the fuel smell. Unfortunately, the smell is still present and I do not know what to do next. I would like to get started in making this car my project toy, but as long as there are problems present I cannot focus on the toy part until I can get her running correctly. Does anyone know what the problem might be? After spending this much on my car, I really do not want to spend any more until I know exactly what is wrong with it. I am going to take it to the hobby shop tomorrow and ask the mechanic about it but I would really like to have two opinions to follow. The one thing I have noticed is that a lot of focus is on the fuel injectors. Maybe that is the problem, and I am going to ask the mechanic tomorrow about it. Sorry if this post is in the wrong section. I did try to follow the proper posting procedures. Thank you all in advance. BMW SPECS: 1987 325es 3.7 Li 6 cyl SOHC.
Advertisement