Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gicamuci View Post
Did an offline comparison and found that in SVT, besides the swap between HU_CHAMP and HU_CIC another module gets disabled but not removed. The module is CID.
Does the CID module exists on cars with HU_CICs ?
Somehow I don't have in any of my backups the .ncd file for this module (CAFD_00000186_007_005_000.ncd).
The CID is the Display Module (Screen). I would think though that if you were having problems with it, you would have no display at all. In any event, it should have no impact on GPS.

But to answer your question, yes, when you read VCM, you should see CID module with a CAFD. Mine is CAFD_0000008A_004_005_050.

Do you have CID when iin your SVT when you read VCM?

Make sure too that in your CIC coding that KOMBI_CIC is set to match your Instrument Cluster (i.e. kombi_mid, etc.) type.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
After reading VCM, the CID still doesn't have the CAFD entry. The CIC and the display are almost one year newer than the car, if that matters.
KOMBI_CIC is indeed set to match the Instrument Cluster, which in my car is the kombi_mid (I don't have the extended one).
And just to make things worse, another thing I don't understand is that when I am looking through the set of files I saved just after the car was coded for NAV (and was working just fine), I don't see option 609 in the FA. How was the NAV working ?!
I give up.... before I mess up some other things.
I spoke with the guys at bimmerretrofit and arranged a visit for the last week in January.
Hopefully, before that and after swapping the original HU and display, I will successfully pass the global update.
2011 F10 535i xDrive MY 01/2011 Sophisto Grey/Black

Last edited by gicamuci; 12-19-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
After reading VCM, the CID still doesn't have the CAFD entry. The CIC and the display are almost one year newer than the car, if that matters.
I give up.... before I mess up some other things.
I spoke with the guys at bimmerretrofit and arranged a visit for the last week in January.
Hopefully, before that and after swapping the original HU and display, I will successfully pass the global update.
Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Left-Click on CID => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD matching your I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on CID (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

To determine your I-Level, go to VCM Module => VCM Master Tab => click Read under I-Steps. The I-Step (current) is the one you want to match when you select the CAFD from the "Detect CAF for SWE" options (e.g. F001-08-09-550).

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 AM

Last night, just before your post, I made again some changes, the logic in my head being that in its original state, the car was not having a GPS receiver. Right ?! At least not for NAV.

1. Switched to the psdzdata 45.2 and wrote to the car my original FA, which is at I-Step F010-11-09-507, doesn't have option 609 and module CID is there with the available CAFD in green (only I don't have the .ncd file for it, which I guess is okay since I did not touch it).
2. VO coded KOMBI, CMB_MEDIA, CAS, FRM. No FDL coding any of them.
3. Switched to psdzdata 46.3 at I-Step F010-12-03-512 and FDL coded the HU_CIC after changing one value. I made HU_CIC - 3000 HMI - SYSTEM_GPS_RECEIVER - nicht_aktiv/Werte=00 from previously being aktiv/Werte=01

This morning on my way to the office, went into NAV and surprise... On the map it was showing the right position. Did try the guidance to my office address and worked just fine. Went into the service menu and still was showing "No GPS available" and Almanac still at zero.

What do you think about this ?!

Last edited by gicamuci; 12-20-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Last night, just before your post, I made again some changes, the logic in my head being that in its original state, the car was not having a GPS receiver. Right ?! At least not for NAV.

1. Switched to the psdzdata 45.2 and wrote to the car my original FA, which is at I-Step F010-11-09-507, doesn't have option 609 and module CID is there with the available CAFD in green (only I don't have the .ncd file for it, which I guess is okay since I did not touch it).
2. VO coded KOMBI, CMB_MEDIA, CAS, FRM. No FDL coding any of them.
3. Switched to psdzdata 46.3 at I-Step F010-12-03-512 and FDL coded the HU_CIC after changing one value. I made HU_CIC - 3000 HMI - SYSTEM_GPS_RECEIVER - nicht_aktiv/Werte=00 from previously being aktiv/Werte=01

This morning on my way to the office, went into NAV and surprise... On the map it was showing the right position. Did try the guidance to my office address and worked just fine. Went into the service menu and still was showing "No GPS available" and Almanac still at zero.

What do you think about this ?!
First, I think using older PSdZData is a waste of time. There is nothing that can't be coded using the latest PSdZData that could be coded in the older 45.2 PSdZData.

Using your original FA and VO Coding off it though will have an impact. What are the differences between the original FA, and your new FA?

As for it working now with 3000 HMI - SYSTEM_GPS_RECEIVER = nicht_aktiv, I am a bit suspicious. With my factory 609, this is set to aktiv as I would expect.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 12-20-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Using your original FA and VO Coding off it though will have an impact. What are the differences between the original FA, and your new FA?
None. The only difference is in SVT where HU_CHAMP is replaced by HU_CIC.

Quote:
As for it working now with 3000 HMI - SYSTEM_GPS_RECEIVER = nicht_aktiv, I am a bit suspicious. With my factory 609, this is set to aktiv as I would expect.
Mine not being a factory 609 I guess it is just integrated differently. I don't have an understanding on how bimmerretrofit programmed the HU_CIC and display to have it working the way it is without 609 appearing anywhere. Maybe they have a different approach in setting things for retrofits.

If I compare the FA, I have after the Sirius activation I did through bimmer-tech, with the FA_aus_VCM (factory), I can see 693 is gone and replaced with 655 in FA/FP. But then it was just an activation.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
None. The only difference is in SVT where HU_CHAMP is replaced by HU_CIC.

Mine not being a factory 609 I guess it is just integrated differently. I don't have an understanding on how bimmerretrofit programmed the HU_CIC and display to have it working the way it is without 609 appearing anywhere. Maybe they have a different approach in setting things for retrofits.

If I compare the FA, I have after the Sirius activation I did through bimmer-tech, with the FA_aus_VCM (factory), I can see 693 is gone and replaced with 655 in FA/FP. But then it was just an activation.
For Sat Radio, that makes sense, as they replaced Sat Radio Prep with Sat Radio Tuner.

The GPS though remains a mystery.

I know you have a Jan. appointment with BimmerRetrofit, but did you ask them now if that have any idea off the top of their head what the issue is?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
did you ask them now if that have any idea off the top of their head what the issue is?
They suggested that the antenna might be the issue. Either the antenna itself or its position I choose in the car for it - I didn't choose to replace the shark fin antenna, so I am using one of those little square thingies, which I keep inside the car, by the passenger A pillar.

Another detail maybe worth to mention, the HU they sold me, even though it showing as US version in settings, is actually coming from the Asian market (it lacks the Sirius tuner which is only available to US/Canada). It is a Harman/Becker unit, made in Korea.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
They suggested that the antenna might be the issue. Either the antenna itself or its position I choose in the car for it - I didn't choose to replace the shark fin antenna, so I am using one of those little square thingies, which I keep inside the car, by the passenger A pillar.

Another detail maybe worth to mention, the HU they sold me, even though it showing as US version in settings, is actually coming from the Asian market (it lacks the Sirius tuner which is only available to US/Canada). It is a Harman/Becker unit, made in Korea.
The antenna was my first concern too.

So did they install a separate standalone SAT Radio Tuner, that is integrated with the CIC?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
So did they install a separate standalone SAT Radio Tuner, that is integrated with the CIC?
Nope. I just lost Sirius. It was just a bad succession of events with Sirius on my car.

Dealer was supposed to activate Sirius on delivery, but did not and refused to do it (unless I paid for it) almost one year later when I found out I had to get the 1 year free. So in June 2012 I activated it through bimmer-tech, but lost it two months later when I retrofitted the NAV. I did not know I had the Sirius integrated in the HU and it was too late when I found out that the HU_CIC I bought did not have the Sirius module.

I made some bad choices, I know. Without being informed or just misled, I can say I did spend until now close to $4500.00 for this NAV which includes the amount of money lost for the Sirius activation and those five hours I had to pay at the dealer for the unsuccessful global update.

Last edited by gicamuci; 12-20-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Nope. I just lost Sirius. It was just a bad succession of events with Sirius on my car.

Dealer was supposed to activate Sirius on delivery, but did not and refused to do it (unless I paid for it) almost one year later when I found out I had to get the 1 year free. So in June 2012 I activated it through bimmer-tech, but lost it two months later when I retrofitted the NAV. I did not know I had the Sirius integrated in the HU and it was too late when I found out that the HU_CIC I bought did not have the Sirius module.

I made some bad choices, I know. Without being informed or just misled, I can say I did spend until now, in close to $4500.00 for this NAV which includes the amount of money lost for the Sirius activation and those five hours I had to pay at the dealer for the unsuccessful global update.
Man, that sucks. Are you using OEM FSC Codes in your new CIC, or a CAN Filter / Activator module?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 AM

OEM FSC Codes. I can see the entries when going with my VIN to the BMW's Aftersales Assistance Portal ASAP site.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
OEM FSC Codes. I can see the entries when going with my VIN to the BMW's Aftersales Assistance Portal ASAP site.
Well, you are better off this way. It's more expensive, but a better solution.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Well, I am back from the scheduled maintenance. Still no software update done even though I did swap the CIC and the screen with the original ones as they were asking the first time. Now the dealer complained that the update doesn't pass through all modules because some of them did not take the update and so they have to order a new vehicle order (whatever that means) to apply to the car, surely on my expense. Didn't even ask what the price will be and I just said no, leave like that. IMHO they just don't want to do it without getting some money out of it. Maybe is just me having some too high expectations... but I never heard someone else having issues with their dealer as I do. Maybe I should choose another dealer. I'll just have the update applied by Alex at bimmerretrofit.
The good thing is now the NAV works fine somehow. No KOMBI info and no popups on the iDrive screen though. I am sure these are easy to recode.

Last edited by gicamuci; 01-11-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Well, I am back from the scheduled maintenance. Still no software update done even though I did swap the CIC and the screen with the original ones as they were asking the first time. Now the dealer complained that the update doesn't pass through all modules because some of them did not take the update and so they have to order a new vehicle order (whatever that means) to apply to the car, surely on my expense. Didn't even ask what the price will be and I just said no, leave like that. IMHO they just don't want to do it without getting some money out of it. Maybe is just me having some too high expectations... but I never heard someone else having issues with their dealer as I do. Maybe I should choose another dealer. I'll just have the update applied by Alex at bimmerretrofit.
The good thing is now the NAV works fine somehow. No KOMBI info and no popups on the iDrive screen though. I am sure these are easy to recode.
My guess is they suspect the VO was modifed and written to the car, so they are ordering your original VO from BMW Munich, with the intent of writing it back to the car and programming it based on it.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 AM

*Deleted*

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 01-12-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Successfully recoded the arrow display in the KOMBI and on the split screen.
Now I am having the same issue with the Nav, most of the time showing my position way off on the map.
After giving it some thought, I think this is due to the fact that at the office my car is two floors underground almost every day and to get out, it takes more than 5 minutes. Could that be the problem of the Nav working this random.

Is the following value related to the GPS positioning, or it is just for the BMW Assist:

COMBOX_MEDIA -> 3006 TELEMATIK -> GPS_POSITION_TIMEOUT -> 5_minuten/Werte=3C

I can increase it to FC which is 21 minutes as it is described in the Kommentar.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
what's the drawback of the hardware activation?
i'm looking to replace my cic with nbt, but the price of fsc is holding me back...
Quote:
Well, you are better off this way. It's more expensive, but a better solution.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM

I choose this path - FSC over hardware - cause I thought it will be more like a true BMW integration, so more reliable... What I can tell you is, if you will go for it, make sure you get US hardware. Not knowing it, I lost the Sirius tuner and the traffic for Navi - I ended up with an asian market CIC which on top of not having all that, is also unreliable. What I can tell is the kit I have is not really integrated in my car as an original one:
- no Sirius tuner anymore
- no traffic info on Navi (NA units have a second FM tuner just for that)
- unreliable positioning. Whenever I need it, I can't use it cause the position on map is way off (might be because, as I said, my car sits most of the time in a 2nd level underground parking. Sometimes works fine)

If I had known all these... then I don't think I would have paid that amount of money for just... well, having a 3 inch wider screen in the car. But that is not your case. You want to go from CIC to NBT, right ? My advice... don't do it.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 PM

Thanks for your advise. an off topic question, does traffic info ever work for you in Canada? I lived in Ottawa before and the traffic info on my previous Mercedes and Audi never worked for me, I know Ottawa is a small town and I took the car to Toronto and Montreal before, and it never worked. but as soon as I enter the US it started detour due to traffic incident.
Quote:
I choose this path - FSC over hardware - cause I thought it will be more like a true BMW integration, so more reliable... What I can tell you is, if you will go for it, make sure you get US hardware. Not knowing it, I lost the Sirius tuner and the traffic for Navi - I ended up with an asian market CIC which on top of not having all that, is also unreliable. What I can tell is the kit I have is not really integrated in my car as an original one:
- no Sirius tuner anymore
- no traffic info on Navi (NA units have a second FM tuner just for that)
- unreliable positioning. Whenever I need it, I can't use it cause the position on map is way off (might be because, as I said, my car sits most of the time in a 2nd level underground parking. Sometimes works fine)

If I had known all these... then I don't think I would have paid that amount of money for just... well, having a 3 inch wider screen in the car. But that is not your case. You want to go from CIC to NBT, right ? My advice... don't do it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 AM

Were your previous cars Canadian models ? Traffic Information (RTTI) was first available in some US model BMWs, sometime in 2007. BMW at least are saying somewhere on their Canadian site that the system in Canada is somehow similar with the one in Europe, meaning the info doesn't get to the car through some FM radio stations (as in US), but through BMW Assist, with updates at each 3 minutes intervals.
As I was saying my retrofitted CIC being a Korean build unit, intended for the some Asian market, doesn't have the second FM tuner nor the Sirius tuner. I have BMW Assist active, but I don't know yet how traffic info is delivered to the car. Might be an option that must be added to Assist maybe.
I didn't try it on the Merc yet.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Now I am having the same issue with the Nav, most of the time showing my position way off on the map.
After giving it some thought, I think this is due to the fact that at the office my car is two floors underground almost every day and to get out, it takes more than 5 minutes. Could that be the problem of the Nav working this random.
Now I am 100% sure the Nav works this erratically because the car seats so much time underground at the office.
Since last Thursday afternoon, I left the car at home outside, in my driveway, until Monday morning when I had to go to the office. The Nav worked just fine. Didn't park it underground and went to check it at lunch time. Nav works fine.
If tomorrow I will start parking underground again, the Nav will place me again somewhere on the map where I am not.
I wonder if the Merc will have the same problem if I will apply it the same underground treatment.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 AM

Mine picks up pretty quick after I leave it underground overnight, it takes longer in NYC but never horrible, 10 mins max I would say.
Now does your car have nav from the factory? I had the same problem with my wife's vw with retrofitted nav and I hide the antenna under the dash, it takes forever to figure out the location. I moved the antenna to on top of the rear deck, problem solved.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 AM

Yes it is a retrofitted Nav and the antenna I keep it where the dash meets the windshield corner on passenger side. I can try moving it to the rear deck.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:03 PM

Yeah, In diagnostics screen on the vw it shows 2-3 satellite with the antenna under the dash, the nav is calculating the location based on speed and steering angle, when you go to underground or high rise parking your wheels actually travel longer than the distance really travelled due to the slope, so the calculated location is off.

Last edited by Nison; 04-01-2013 at 12:06 PM.