Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Exclamation LG Unveils 84-inch 3D HDTV With Voice Control!

Quote:
According to TWICE, LG Electronics just revealed one of the surprises the company has planned for the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show, and it is a big one: an 84-inch 3D HDTV.

LG claims that the massive LCD HDTV is 4K with a resolution of 3,840 by 2,160 pixels.

"LG is pushing the limits of home entertainment innovation with this 3D UD [Ultra Definition] TV," said Havis Kwon, LG Electronics Home Entertainment president and CEO. "We are bringing together all our smart-TV and 3D knowledge in the 3D UD TV in order to demonstrate to the CES audience that LG is committed to being the world's leading brand for immersive home entertainment in 2012 and beyond."

Reportedly, the display has over 8 million pixels, which is more than four times the resolution of a 1080p display. Also, the new HDTV utilizes passive 3D and a 3D depth control, which allows users to control the intensity of the 3D effect. A 2D-to-3D conversion is also included in the television's features.

One of the most interesting features of LG's new television is the Magic Remote, which features a built-in microphone that will recognize basic verbal commands.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 01-03-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
The Entertainment Guru

More info:

Quote:
LG Electronics appears poised to make a major push at the Consumer Electronics Show. The company has been offering a slew of announcements this week, with the latest being an 84-inch 3D Smart TV with ultra definition display technology.

Havis Kwon, president and CEO of the LG Electronics Home Entertainment Co., said LG is pushing the limits of home entertainment innovation with this 3D UD TV, on display at CES in Las Vegas Jan. 10-13.

"We are bringing together all our Smart TV and 3D knowledge in the 3D UD TV in order to demonstrate to the CES audience that LG is committed to being the world's leading brand for immersive home entertainment in 2012 and beyond," Kwon said.

High Resolution Advances

LG's 3D UD TV, at 3740x2160, offers 8 million pixels. That's four times the resolution clarity of existing full HD TV panels. The new model offers a slim, narrow bezel design, 3D depth control to let viewers customize their viewing experience by controlling the 3D effect, and 3D Sound Zooming to offer 3D sound a la home theater systems.

"The resolution is important because when you are in active 3D you drop about half the resolution that the set is advertised to have," said Rob Enderle, principal analyst at Enderle Group. "By increasing the resolution this high, it's still in line with an active 3D set. It's a very nice showcase."

With the new model, consumers access LG's Smart TV ecosystem, which offers more than 1,200 apps and gives users access to a growing range of premium content services. At the 3D Zone, for example, viewers can select from a wealth of 3D movies.

LG said the embedded 2D to 3D conversion engine expands the availability of 3D content. Users can browse and navigate the Smart TV ecosystem using LG's new, ergonomically designed Magic Remote, which recognizes four types of command input: Voice Recognition, Wheel, Magic Gesture and Point.

"This is once again LG stepping up and showing they can do this before anybody else can," Enderle said. "People might say you don't need an 85-inch 3D TV, but people didn't need the 120s or the 200-inchers that came out in previous years. LG is trying step out against Samsung, Sony and some others and it's a nice showcase. I doubt they will be the only ones making the attempt."

Cinema TV and 3D Glasses

In other innovations, LG plans to introduce the LW6500, a Cinema 3D TV, at CES. The new model doesn't require shutter glasses, so images displayed on the set are free from flicker. Without the flicker, 3D viewing is more comfortable and less likely to cause a viewer's eyes to get tired.

For models that need 3G glasses, LG is rolling out a new collection, including a pair designed by eyewear designer Alain Mikli. LG said the new collection is lighter and more comfortable to wear and offers upgraded features like curved lenses and a clean frame structure.

"Compared to active shutter glasses, LG's 3D glasses are far more comfortable to wear and much more affordable, making it possible for large groups and entire families to watch 3D programs and movies together," Kwon said. "LG is addressing two of the biggest barriers to 3D acceptance head-on and we're confident consumers will react favorably to our strategy in the coming year."
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
How's that #D working for ya?

Death of 3D
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
3D is dumb. Especially at home.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Is it a cool TV? Yes.

I really really hope that my current plasma lasts long enough for me to be able to walk into a store and buy a TV without 3D. I realize "it's just sort of there" now, but the fact is that once it's gone, there'll be room for other features that are actually cool.

Also, maybe I'm just too old, but voice control is just something I can't get used to. My car has it and I refuse to use it, I'm just not going to talk to something that's not a human or a dog.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 01-10-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: x
The girl is hot... 33D maybe?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Here's the deal....

If you've bought a "high end TV" the last 18 months or so, it probably had 3D. Does that make the feature obsolete? Don't make me laugh! Take a look at the number of blu ray players sold in the past 18 or so months, I'm sure they are 3D players. Why? Because there are tons of 3D TVs out there. Sure it's gimmicky but nonetheless a nifty feature that buyers want or appreciate. If and when it phases out, no biggie. The article title is misleading in that manufacturers are simply not focusing on the feature. Why? It's already included.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Oh and with or without 3D... This TV is beyond incredible!!!

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Here's the deal....

If you've bought a "high end TV" the last 18 months or so, it probably had 3D. Does that make the feature obsolete? Don't make me laugh! Take a look at the number of blu ray players sold in the past 18 or so months, I'm sure they are 3D players. Why? Because there are tons of 3D TVs out there. Sure it's gimmicky but nonetheless a nifty feature that buyers want or appreciate. If and when it phases out, no biggie. The article title is misleading in that manufacturers are simply not focusing on the feature. Why? It's already included.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
I bought a Runco a couple of months ago (I consider it a very high end TV) and it doesn't have 3D.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
I bought a Runco a couple of months ago (I consider it a very high end TV) and it doesn't have 3D.
Good for you.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche
Quote:
Good for you.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Yes, I am quite pleased with myself, thank you.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Voice control?

I don't want to talk to my TV...

(I see that as good for handicapped persons, but otherwise, that's just weird. "Channel 5, please...")

From personal observation, the latest and greatest TV is never worth the money. Just like CPUs...never buy the best because they are way overpriced. I supose they need to present something at CES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 01-10-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Voice control?

Agree. Everytime a politician or president gets on TV, I start swearing at it the way it stands now!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: German
I've been trying to keep up with CES. So much TV tech being announced. OLED and 4k seem to be the next big thing.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Voice control?

(I see that as good for handicapped persons, but otherwise, that's just weird. "Channel 5, please...")

From personal observation, the latest and greatest TV is never worth the money. Just like CPUs...never buy the best because they are way overpriced. I supose they need to present something at CES...
That is one of my Top 10 Greatest Horror films. I will never forget the amount of blood curdling screams in the movie theater....
Love me some Japanese horror!

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Ones and Zeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Yes, I am quite pleased with myself, thank you.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
More info:

Where is that TV you are talking about???
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Where is that TV you are talking about???
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-84LM9600-led-tv

And YES... It's available now: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_68984L9...rv=20057921425

You in the market for one Mat?

~ Big Marcus
Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Oh, he's in the market. But not for a TV.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Ones and Zeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Oh, he's in the market. But not for a TV.
right over his head...
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
right over his head...
One thing certainly NOT over my head is you are

~ Big Marcus

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 01-11-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-84LM9600-led-tv

And YES... It's available now: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_68984L9...rv=20057921425

~ Big Marcus
I was on my tablet looking at the picture, and accidentally moved my hand to the Android pull down menu and when my palm was over the girl, obscuring her, the image of the TV on the right magically appeared. I quickly removed my hand to have a better look, and the TV disappeared. I put my hand back over the girl, and the TV reappeared again! Is that one of those optical trick things??? Or is it my Nexus acting out?

No, I'm not in the market at all. I'm very happy with my 4(?) years old 50", "only" 720p, model 9UK Panasonic Professional monitor. The picture quality is very high.

I'm really not into larger size panels. For me the 50 size looks perfect for my 10' viewing distance. I can see those 84" range go into a home theater for movies watching, but not seeing a huge head of the news anchor... LOL

Anyway, side note, I'd wish these TV guys will start giving the actual PPI for the screens, like they started doing with hand held devices. Saying stuff like "4 times the resolution of a 1080 TV" is somewhere between deceiving and lying to customers. IMHO.

Last edited by MatWiz; 01-12-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:41 PM
The Entertainment Guru

^^Haha!!! Nice.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 01-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Voice control?

The only electronic device I talk to is my smart phone - not just when someone is on the other end, but because the keyboard is too small for rapid data input.

This all reminds me of when cars started "talking" back in the 1980's. Manufacturers learned quickly that people didn't want their cars talking to them (unless they could do all the things KITT could) and that fade died quickly. Ok, now we have turn-by-turn directions, but that's about all I want my car to say (and even then I frequently turn mute the nav voice.)
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................