Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi / 4 Runner
Adding Heads Up Display

I need to change my windshield and am curious how hard it would be to add 'heads up display' as my steering wheel effectively hides my speedometer.

Thks
Ads by Google
Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 4.8i
The heads-up unit costs around $3k.
I can't comment on how difficult it would be to retrofit, but I'd be surprised if it couldn't be done with the windshield in place.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: German
You need:

new dash (needs the cutout), new windshield, programming, new lightswitch, HUD unit

Sounds way too expensive
Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
BMW head up display.

If cost is no concern, can be done.
If cost is of concern, then no not possible.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post

Any automotive midification you can think of.

If cost is no concern, can be done.
If cost is of concern, then no not possible.
fixed...

Old 01-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 (e70)
The steering wheel moves up and down and in and out, just as your seat moves. My suggestion would be to adjust your seat and steering column so that you can see your gauges. I know its not as cool as a HUD, but its way less expensive
Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
fixed...

Thank You Ard

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:31 PM

you didnt ask, however if your bummed that you cant retrofit it.

Theres a add that comes on the fest (usually to right), store called Infinite 360 or Bimmian (idk which). They have a HUD unit type thing, u stick to the dash anywhere you choose, it connects to the OBD port, and reads off a variety of info (plus somehow GPS info, but I think thru iphone bluetooth or something). Details are scant, but check them out. Its better than nothing i suppose.

Why does this matter?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Refugee View Post
The steering wheel moves up and down and in and out, just as your seat moves. My suggestion would be to adjust your seat and steering column so that you can see your gauges. I know its not as cool as a HUD, but its way less expensive
This. I am sure with seat and steering wheel adjustments you will be able to see your gauges. Retrofitting the HUD is a ton of work and will cost a ton of money.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi / 4 Runner
Thks guys. Told me what I suspected. I have tried seat and steering adjustments. I have the same problem with my wife's 325xi. I have considered having the display decoded. One of you offered to do it remotely for a fee.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: X6
I have HUD. When I got it I loved it, now I hardly look at it for some reason. It is good though.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Yeah you can probably get the center display to show your speed. I think The M3 has it that way.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
you didnt ask, however if your bummed that you cant retrofit it.

Theres a add that comes on the fest (usually to right), store called Infinite 360 or Bimmian (idk which). They have a HUD unit type thing, u stick to the dash anywhere you choose, it connects to the OBD port, and reads off a variety of info (plus somehow GPS info, but I think thru iphone bluetooth or something). Details are scant, but check them out. Its better than nothing i suppose.

A real aftermarket HUD?

Hmm thats interesting.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
There are also HUD apps for smartphones, which project an image onto your windshield:

Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Aftermarket HUDs are probably not gonna be the same quality as a OEM part, since the development budget is FARRR bigger. However the ones I saw so far are about function over form. So basic information I guess. However i think judging by the video for the product I saw, it just seems as one of those sharper image. projection clocks, but the projected image is much brighter and displays ecu info.

Why does this matter?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM
I GOT MY BIMMER!!!!

Mein Auto: '08 528i
I do not have the HUD on my car, but last week i took it in for service and the loaner that i got had the HUD.

I think it's a pretty good toy to have, but dont see much use for it. I know it displays the navigation information, but i dont use it enough to justify the added price.

That being said, I just downloaded a couple of apps for my iphone, and i must say they are pretty good. They display speed, music info if needed, time and compass. The best part was the price... $0

Only draw back i saw was that you get a bit of a double number look to it because of the reflection.

I will also buy one of those sticky dashboard mats so that the phone doesn't slide all over the place