Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Question Question on battery replacement

Hey guys,

Wife's 2008 328i has been having a problem for a few days where the clock gets reset (and displays "--:--" instead of the time) when the car has been turned off for some time. Doesn't happen all the time and sometimes the clock falls behind instead of getting reset.

Took it to my mechanic (not dealer) and he said it's because the battery is dying. That makes sense and I had guessed as much (even though there are no problems starting and the memory settings for seats, radio etc. are fine). But the odd thing is he said I need to take the car to the dealer to replace the battery. Apparently there's some calibration that needs to be done or something of the sort that can only be done at the dealer. He said a generic battery installed by someone other than the dealer will be fine for a short time but I'll start to see electronics issues like this pop up again after that.

Anyone else run into this? What's so special about BMW batteries and electronics systems that can't deal with the battery being replaced by someone other than the dealer?
Advertisement